Help! YDL applications not found after package installation

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Help! YDL applications not found after package installation

Postby Caretaker721 » 04 Oct 2008, 03:45

This is the most frustrating thing I've ever seen. All the documentation I read online says that with YDL 6.0 for PPC (PS3) that allowing RPMs to be installed using the default system installation process will install the applications without anything else having to be done. Not only can I not see applications I install through the interface, but they can never be found by the Package Manager, and are nowhere to be found when I run a Sudo Find / -name <appname> -print command. I can't find them by browsing the folders, and I thought I would be able to find the apps in /usr/bin with documentation in /usr/share/doc. But no, it has to be more complicated then that. The installation went through the entire process with no errors and showed that the package was installed. But it lied. I'm about ready to go back to XBox and Windows. Any thoughts?
Caretaker721
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Help! YDL applications not found after package installation

Postby billb » 04 Oct 2008, 08:23

A lot of applications don't add a menu item and have to be run from the terminal. Most do go in /usr/bin and generally docs are installed to a folder under /usr/share/doc. If you could provide an example of what you're trying to install we could try to help. :)
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caretaker721 » 04 Oct 2008, 14:39

Thanks! Its the latest QEMU pre-compiled package. Really, here's the bottom line - I just want to play move network player on my PS3 so I can watch Fox and ABC episodes on demand. I don't need the Linux OS and accompanying software for anything else - so I want it to be lightweight with a small footprint. So here's what I've run into with something that seemed so easy to do at first glance:

1) PS3 without Linux won't run move network. So I installed YDL 6.0.
2) It turns out after installing YDL 6.0 that move network no longer supports Linux. So, I found a solution that includes using Wine and the MS version of Firefox to "trick" move network player into thinking that I'm running from MS.
3) No dice, Wine supports x86 arch, not PPC. BUT - there's an arch-independent version of Wine available that some say works and some say doesn't. With so much contention on that subject, I decide to opt instead for YDL-friendly QEMU to do the same thing, even though QEMU appears by its description to be far more heavyweight in its footprint than Wine, since its primary use right now by folks seems to be to run Win XP or Vista, which I have no desire to do. However, it seemed the choice for now to use QEMU, rather than YDL-unfriendly Wine, so I can install FireFox for Windows 2.0 as described here using QEMU instead of Wine, though -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=679165&highlight=abc.com+streaming
4) I go to the linux package download site, and download the QEMU pre-compiled package. It downloads fine, then asks me for my root password to run the system installer - so I do that.
5) The install appears to complete successfully with all of the confirmations you would expect to see.
6) Afterward, I find nothing - either in the package manager, in /usr/bin, full name search of "QEMU" using sudo find command to search the entire drive, nothing!
7) I just want the best suggestion for what I should be doing to get my objective done, even if I need to go back to the beginning and load a different Linux version.

Thoughts??
Caretaker721
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Caretaker721 » 04 Oct 2008, 14:52

If it matters, I'm using the "Enlightenment" GUI, which is the default for YDL after first boot.

ALSO - is it true what folks say about WINE being far more lightweight than QEMU as an emulator and thus doesn't have as much overhead that bogs down video streaming as much as QEMU does? I want lightweight and fast! Thanks!
Caretaker721
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 04 Oct 2008, 15:42

Caretaker721 wrote:If it matters, I'm using the "Enlightenment" GUI, which is the default for YDL after first boot.

ALSO - is it true what folks say about WINE being far more lightweight than QEMU as an emulator and thus doesn't have as much overhead that bogs down video streaming as much as QEMU does? I want lightweight and fast! Thanks!

WINE is a "recursive acronym" -- apparently they love those in Linux -- "Wine Is Not an Emulator" ... so yes, it would require much less CPU usage since it's not emulating an x86 CPU like QEMU does. I've never heard of the arch-independent version of Wine ... to run any x86 software on the PS3 you'd need to be using a processor emulator, so Windows running on QEMU would be your only option. Unfortunately, even if you're able to get Windows + Firefox 2 running on QEMU, I'd expect the performance of any network player to be dreadfully slow on QEMU + Windows on the PS3.

I've played around with QEMU on the PS3 quite a bit and have been able to get some Windows games like Diablo and Starcraft running on it, but the performance of Windows applications like web browsers is very slow. I've also tried Win2K, but didn't install any games on it -- and that's the minimum requirement for the Move media player.

The only solution for this that I can think of would require a Windows machine that's able to run the Move media player plus an application that streams video from the Windows machine to PS3 Linux. The only one I know of is called StreamMyGame, and I haven't tried it myself.

Hopefully, while it isn't what you want to hear, this will save you a lot of time and frustration. It won't make any difference what Linux distro you're running on your PS3.

Regarding your QEMU install not showing up in the package manager ... it sounds like you installed it using a binary package (usually these end with .tar.gz) and that wouldn't show up. Only RPM packages you install will show up in the package manager. Also I don't know if you installed a PPC version of QEMU which is what you'd need, and I only see a binary distribution for linux-i386 on the QEMU site -- that won't work.

The best way to install QEMU would be to follow the "How to Install Software (YDL6)" guide here:

viewtopic.php?t=3017

Then install it from Add/Remove Software or use yum install qemu from a terminal window. It won't show up in your applications menu because it's a command-line based emulator, and then you'd still need to install Windows on a hard drive image created with qemu-img.

But for what you're trying to do, I don't think this will be a workable solution.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caretaker721 » 04 Oct 2008, 15:58

The QEMU download I used was a RPM file for the PPC versison of QEMU. Still not showing up. This happens with every RPM I download.

Thanks - though, I think I will stream from the PC. Simplest solutions are the best, generally. I would like to understand the package install problem I'm having, though.
Caretaker721
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 04 Oct 2008, 16:58

Caretaker721 wrote:The QEMU download I used was a RPM file for the PPC versison of QEMU. Still not showing up. This happens with every RPM I download.

Use rpm -q qemu to confirm installation.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Caretaker721 » 05 Oct 2008, 05:04

it says qemu package not installed. That's insane because the install showed it completed successfully.
Caretaker721
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 05 Oct 2008, 13:18

Caretaker721 wrote:it says qemu package not installed. That's insane because the install showed it completed successfully.

Do you remember exactly where you got the RPM? If you set up the repos in the install guide I linked (be sure to do the yum-protectbase part, too) and it still says "not installed" after running yum install qemu, let me know.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation