WIFI PROBLEM YDL 6.0

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

WIFI PROBLEM YDL 6.0

Postby toche22 » 26 Oct 2008, 09:58

Hello, this is my first time posting here; i really do need u help!

I followed the different guides in the website.
I have a dynamic IP, and i use netgear router. I had with wap but i decided to changed to wep. I entered all the info required
Also the 0x-------- for the wep!

This is what comes Out ALL THE TIME!

dtermining IP information for eth0 --- PING 192.168.1.1(192.168.1.1) from 192.168.1.3 eth0:56(84) bytes of data.
---192.168.1.1 ping stadistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 recieved, +3 errors, 100% packet loss, time 2012 ms

If you need info let me know. Hope you guys can help me i am a begginer in this topic.!
toche22
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: WIFI PROBLEM YDL 6.0

Postby ppietro » 27 Oct 2008, 05:06

toche22 wrote:Hello, this is my first time posting here; i really do need u help!

I followed the different guides in the website.
I have a dynamic IP, and i use netgear router. I had with wap but i decided to changed to wep. I entered all the info required
Also the 0x-------- for the wep!

This is what comes Out ALL THE TIME!

dtermining IP information for eth0 --- PING 192.168.1.1(192.168.1.1) from 192.168.1.3 eth0:56(84) bytes of data.
---192.168.1.1 ping stadistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 recieved, +3 errors, 100% packet loss, time 2012 ms

If you need info let me know. Hope you guys can help me i am a begginer in this topic.!

You might have authentication issues. Start with my guide here:
viewtopic.php?t=3399

and we can troubleshoot from there.

Also - if you're running GameOS 2.43, you need to update to 2.50. There's some issues with Wireless and GameOS 2.43.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lanning » 12 Nov 2008, 14:09

I followed the advice given in the how-to. When I click Activate, I get

Determining IP information for eth0... failed; no link present. Check cable?

I have the newest PS3 system soft, Airport Extreme Bases Station with DHCP handing out addresses.

All my other DHCP clients work.
PS3 in game mode mode works over wifi

Please advice what can I do to move forward. I have no ethernet wired connection in this room, I must use wifi.
lanning
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 12 Nov 2008, 19:05

lanning wrote:I followed the advice given in the how-to. When I click Activate, I get

Determining IP information for eth0... failed; no link present. Check cable?

I have the newest PS3 system soft, Airport Extreme Bases Station with DHCP handing out addresses.

All my other DHCP clients work.
PS3 in game mode mode works over wifi

Please advice what can I do to move forward. I have no ethernet wired connection in this room, I must use wifi.

Although you say you followed the advice in the how-to, I'd like you to double check these parts:

viewtopic.php?t=3399

1. You must enter an access point name. Also - the access point name is case sensitive. Linksys is not the same as LINKSYS is not the same as linksys to Linux. Use the Specified radio button on the Wireless Settings tab of the Wireless Device Configuration control panel to un-grey the Network name (SSID) field.

2. If you're using WEP security with a HEX key, you need to indicate that the key is in hex by prefixing it with a 0x - that's a zero and a lower case x. An example of a 64-bit, ten digit WEP HEX key entered for Linux would be 0x1234567890 . The digits a, b, c, d, e & f in a WEP HEX security key are not case sensitive.

3. Beware of spaces. If you're using WEP security with an ASCII key, try using a key without spaces at first to troubleshoot. Same goes with SSID names that have spaces in them - try using a name without spaces at first. Be especially vigilant against trailing spaces - make sure that you remove them from both the SSID name that you enter in your Wireless Access Point configuration and in the YDL Network Configuration control panel. Windows seems to ignore trailing spaces, but since a space is a valid ASCII character, Linux keeps track of them. Once you get your system working, then try carefully adding spaces back in, if you can't live without them.

4. WEP authentication must use Open System and not Shared Key. You want to use Open System anyway - oddly enough - it's more secure. (See here: http://forums.wi-fiplanet.com/archive/index.php/t-1905.html) Other security tricks - like disabling SSID broadcast - should work.

If, after you carefully follow these steps, you still get the No Link Present message, you might be the exception to this rule:

Remember this: On a DHCP enabled network, if you have to manually enter IP Address information to get Wireless to Activate, yet Internet access fails, 9 times out of 10, you have an error in your encryption settings. Setting IP Address information manually bypasses the initial encryption check. Your PS3 wireless will appear to be Activated, but it hasn't actually authenticated to the access point.

Manually set your IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway address & DNS Address(es) from the parameters the PS3 uses in the GameOS side.

If it still doesn't work, we'll need to go thru your airport settings one by one.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lanning » 12 Nov 2008, 20:06

Thank you very much for your reply. It is now all working - the problem was the WAP2 which Airport Extreme Base Station uses as default and my carelessness in reading the instruction and not noticing that it is not supported in the standard release.

I now have everything running - even downloaded and installed Webmin (my prefered tool), got VNCSERVER going so I do not have to do this at the expense of my family TV watch time :)

My last challenge is to get BT keyboard and mouse working - so far the scan does not see my Apple mini keyboard ...

Again, thank you.
lanning
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation