Upgrading to 6.0

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Upgrading to 6.0

Postby Muteki » 05 Nov 2008, 07:41

IF I already have 5.0.1 can I just download an update and add it to a CD and install it? Sorry Admins I ask a lot of questions. Thanks all!
Muteki
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Upgrading to 6.0

Postby billb » 05 Nov 2008, 13:38

I don't know of a way to update YDL 5 to YDL 6 -- YDL 6 brought significant changes including the move from being Fedora-based to Centos-based. The best thing would be to download and burn the YDL 6 install DVD, then follow the install guide normally. You can skip the part about formatting from the Game OS -- you only need to do that to create your "Other OS" partition initially.

If you want to use your PS3 for games, watching movies/trailers/etc. I'd recommend using the 10 GB to Other OS option if you haven't done that already. Changing from 10 GB to Other OS or 10 GB to Game OS does require a format from the Game OS. If you're happy with the way you have it set already just skip that part. The Linux partitions that YDL 5 is installed on will be removed and overwritten during the YDL 6 install process.

When installing YDL 6, I recommend checking "Software Development" during the installation, and leaving the other options unchecked. You can always add what you need later, and by checking "software development" it will make it easier on you when you need to install something from source code.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation