Stuck in Kboot.. is YDL still there??

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Stuck in Kboot.. is YDL still there??

Postby grgeg1980 » 10 Nov 2008, 12:24

We'll firstly hello this is my first post and as you can see my my problem i'm a n00b.

I installed YDL6 at the weekend on my PS3 as my girlfriends SNES packed up and i wanted to try and get Mario working though an emulator.

install went fine.. checked out firefox quickly.. then shut down via the drop down tab (i have since found out this needs fixing).. so i just switched of the playstation by holding down the power button at the front.

now back in the XBM i try to restore my PS3 data but it crashed halfway through and i have to switch off by the mains this time.. i then restored and from the beginning and formatted the drive.

when i check the drive the partition still seems to be there.. and if i switch OS i get the boot up screen with the two penguins but it stops at Kboot and thats it.. i have since found out that i can get back to the GameOS by typing "game" thanks to this site.

Do i have to install again? and will it create another partition?

or shall i remove the Drive and complettly wipe it and start over?
grgeg1980
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Stuck in Kboot.. is YDL still there??

Postby grgeg1980 » 10 Nov 2008, 13:23

okey so i now understand that there is no YDL on the ps3 anymore just the bootloader on the PS3 flash memory??

So my main question is can i reinstall on the partition thats already there.. or will it create two?
grgeg1980
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 10 Nov 2008, 18:31

grgeg1980 wrote:okey so i now understand that there is no YDL on the ps3 anymore just the bootloader on the PS3 flash memory??

So my main question is can i reinstall on the partition thats already there.. or will it create two?

Normally, you can reinstall on the partition that's already there. But:

grgeg1980 wrote:now back in the XBM i try to restore my PS3 data but it crashed halfway through and i have to switch off by the mains this time.. i then restored and from the beginning and formatted the drive.

When you formatted the drive, did you repartition at all? Or just format? As long as you still have the "10 gig to other OS" (or 10 gig to GameOS) set, you should be okay to install Linux again.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grgeg1980 » 11 Nov 2008, 13:01

Hey Thanks for replying!

hmm.. i think I've messed up my hard disk.

I've got two partitions now according to the amount of space I've used..

when i tried reinstalling last night it didn't work.. so i changed OS and got stuck in the k boot again but after about 10 mins the disc started in spin and the install started again.

i think it'll be best to buy a sata - usb lead and remove the partitions on this hdd using my laptop as the PS3 cant seem to do it???

and then start all over again.
grgeg1980
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 11 Nov 2008, 19:02

grgeg1980 wrote:Hey Thanks for replying!

hmm.. i think I've messed up my hard disk.

I've got two partitions now according to the amount of space I've used..

It's almost impossible to mess up your hard disc from the PS3.

Let's go thru the install procedure you want to follow:
1. Backup your GameOS to an external USB FAT32 formatted hard disc. You can use the backup utility from Settings --> System Settings --> Backup Utility to do this.

2. Format and partition your hard disc from GameOS. Use Settings --> System Settings --> Format Utility to do this. You want to partition the drive here for either 10 gig to OtherOS or 10 gig to GameOS. Then, do a quick format.

3. Restore your GameOS from your external USB FAT 32 formatted hard disc. Again - Settings --> System Settings --> Backup Utility to do this.

At this point, your PS3 is fully restored. Next, you want to start the Linux installation:

4. Install the YDL 6.0 bootloader from the YDL 6.0 DVD by using Settings --> System Settings --> Install Other OS.

5. Start the Linux installation by leaving the YDL 6.0 DVD in the drive and selecting Settings --> System Settings --> Default System --> OtherOS and rebooting.

At this point, the Linux partitions should be deleted and you can start with a fresh Linux install.

when i tried reinstalling last night it didn't work.. so i changed OS and got stuck in the k boot again but after about 10 mins the disc started in spin and the install started again.

i think it'll be best to buy a sata - usb lead and remove the partitions on this hdd using my laptop as the PS3 cant seem to do it???

and then start all over again.

Well - you lose all of your PS3 data this way. The Linux partitions won't show up to a regular drive controller - the entire drive is encrypted. The normal way to do it is the way I outlined above.

Just formatting the disc from the PS3 GameOS will not erase the Linux partition. The GameOS basically creates a separate, un-encrypted area on the PS3 HD for the Linux partition. Then only Linux manages partitions in that area. If you create partitions with the Linux installer, GameOS won't touch them, and vice versa.

Only by repartitioning the drive from the PS3 GameOS does the Linux partition get re-allocated.

Don't be fooled by the amount of space used after reformatting and repartitioning the PS3 GameOS drive. The PS3 creates a swap file and backs up other files. You never get the full amount of your drive - even when you don't partition for Linux. See our thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4218&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

for more info about that.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grgeg1980 » 18 Nov 2008, 17:43

Thanks Dude.. all Sorted now and installed again.

when i reinstalled for the final time and it got stuck in Kboot i typed Install-ps3-720p and it started again.

so very very happy now thanks again!

Gregg
grgeg1980
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation