YDL installer problem

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

YDL installer problem

Postby mackoi » 06 Dec 2008, 10:11

When I get to the installer page and go thru the steps for language,keyboard selection,it comes to (which media holds the iso "or installer"?)
and the choices don't show a DVD,it just shows - cd-drive,Hard Drive, ftp,http and no choice for the DVD that is in the ps3. I've tried selecting cd and of course it says you have no cd in your drive please insert the cd and press ok
It won't fit on a cd so what is causing this problem? Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :idea:
mackoi
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: YDL installer problem

Postby billb » 06 Dec 2008, 12:22

Sounds like there could be a problem with your install DVD ... please check the README post here, close to the bottom re: solving problems with install DVD (check sha1sum on .iso file, burn DVD using imgburn with verify option if possible, use low speed like 2.4x, etc):

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2274
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mackoi » 06 Dec 2008, 21:09

Thanks alot for the link,very helpful, but terminal showed the right number so now I'll try different burning software.
Thank You Again :)
Steve N
mackoi
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby mackoi » 17 Dec 2008, 07:20

I have checked the sha1sum on the .iso image on 2 different DVD burns now and I still get hung on install asking me what media has the .iso.
It shows CD but no DVD as a choice.
I've used Toast 7 and Disk utility in Mac OSX and maybe it's a format issue! I used mac + pc
Which should I use for the burn?--- -- mac + pc or DVD-Rom(UDF) or ISO 9660
Thanks for a reply!
mackoi
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 17 Dec 2008, 09:19

It sounds as if you're just copying the .iso file to a DVD? The .iso is an image of the DVD ... you don't actually copy the file to a DVD. I'm not familiar with Mac DVD burning software, but Fixstars has a short howto here:

http://us.fixstars.com/support/download ... -osx.shtml

Also see here re: iso files:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

Sorry if I'm off base on this one, but from what you've stated that's how it looks to me.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Burning ISOs to Disc with Disk Utility

Postby NeoAmsterdam » 18 Dec 2008, 10:07

No disrespect intended, mackoi, but the question regarding Mac+PC (hybrid), DVD-ROM (UDF), and ISO 9660 formats is irrelevant - .iso files, like .dmgs, contain their format information within them. I have to agree with billb.

Here's how to burn your .iso to disc using Disk Utility in 9 easy steps:
  1. Open the .iso file from within the Finder.
    The disk image will mount on the Desktop, as if it were any other storage medium. Once you've confirmed that said disk image is the one you want to burn...
  2. Eject the disk image/volume.
  3. Open Disk Utility.
    You'll be presented with a list of volumes (disks, discs, and other storage mediums) and a list of disk images (.dmgs, .isos, and so on).
  4. If the disk image you opened in step 1 is in the list, click its icon in the list on the left-hand side.
    This will shave a few clicks off the process. Do not double click the icon - Disk Utility will interpret that as a request to open the disk image.
  5. Press Command-B (⌘B) or select "Burn..." from the Images menu.
    If you did not see the .iso file in the left-hand list, you will be presented with an open-file dialog box. Select the .iso file.
  6. Insert the appropriate medium into the drive, and wait for the Burn button to activate.
    I suspect that you'll need a single-layer DVD (or has YDL put on some weight since 6.0?)
  7. Click the Burn button and go make coffee.
  8. Verify the burn.
    If all goes well, your burn is complete. If there's an error, try again.
  9. Reboot from your disc.
Enjoy!
shutdown -h now # Will the last person to leave please remember to turn off the lights?
NeoAmsterdam
ydl lover
ydl lover

Return to Installation