new HD and back

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

new HD and back

Postby bonfire89 » 15 Dec 2008, 04:19

Hello all,

if I put in a new HD install YDL, then put back in the old HD will everything be back to the way it was before I started fiddling?

additionally,

I'm starting to gather the XMB is not installed on the HDs?

Thanks!
bonfire89
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

More information needed

Postby NeoAmsterdam » 16 Dec 2008, 01:39

As far as I have experienced, the answer is yes, but I can only speak for certain Power Macintosh models (9600/300, G3 desktop) and one Performa model (6360). The only reconfiguration needed was a kick in the PRAM (by holding down Command, Option, P, and R on startup).

To answer your question fully and with certainty, we would need to know what you've installed Yellow Dog onto - Power Mac, iMac, Mac Mini, PowerBook, iBook, PlayStation, or "other".
shutdown -h now # Will the last person to leave please remember to turn off the lights?
NeoAmsterdam
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: new HD and back

Postby bonfire89 » 16 Dec 2008, 02:15

ah, I'm sorry, I jumped right to the idea that YDL is meant for PS3 which it isn't necessarily.

I'm installing on a PS3
bonfire89
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 16 Dec 2008, 04:30

Note: I see in a previous post you have a PS3 - the answer I'm giving is PS3 specific.

bonfire89 wrote:if I put in a new HD install YDL, then put back in the old HD will everything be back to the way it was before I started fiddling?

Yes - for the most part. The only thing to keep in mind is if you had Linux on your old drive, and you had to load a different otheros.bld for the Linux on the new drive, you need to put the original otheros.bld back when you're done. You might do this if you decide to install YDL 6.0 after using YDL 5.0.1, for example. (This is the Install Other OS pick from the PS3's XMB.)

otheros.bld isn't contained on the HD - it's in the PS3's firmware - so you have to reload the old firmware when you put your old drive back in.

additionally, I'm starting to gather the XMB is not installed on the HDs?

Well - kinda. The PS3's GameOS is contained in Firmware - so it stays the same between HDD swaps. However, various things from the GameOS side are stored on the HDD. From:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playsta ... id=1963427

-----------------------------
My Hard Disk Drive Appears To Not Have As Much Space As Advertised!

a few reasons cause this effect:
  1. Manufacturers calculate drive size as 1 gigabyte as (10^9) not as (2^30)
    1. Consumer confusion caused by non standard units of measure
    2. PS3 internally uses 2^30, Manufacturers of Drives use 10^9
  2. Firmware - while stored and used mostly in flash memory - has a backup copy on the HDD
  3. Swap File that is approximately 10% of drive size (80 gig... 7 gig swap file)
  4. Future System Updates reserved space
1, 2, 3 are confirmed 4 is supposition.
-----------------------------

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonfire89 » 16 Dec 2008, 16:32

ah thanks a bunch.

I want to fiddle with my brothers PS3 (with his permission) but since it isn't mine I have to make sure I don't lose his stuff.

And I'm going to try and convince him into letting me put linux on by donating a larger hard drive. heh

Thanks again.
bonfire89
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation