PS3 Install with 6.1 - Installer/Loader issue

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

PS3 Install with 6.1 - Installer/Loader issue

Postby superslacker » 21 Dec 2008, 04:04

Hi all.

I'm stumped at this issue I'm having.

In a nushell, everything goes according to plan, untill I pass the part where I select the PS3 resolution type at the kboot section. This part loads, flashes, starts to install but stops at "running /sbin/loader", the next line is a _ but it's not flashing.

I've let it sit here for a few mins (10-15) but doesn't continue. I've rebooted and tried a few other resolutions, same results.

Please advise.
superslacker
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: PS3 Install with 6.1 - Installer/Loader issue

Postby fract4l » 21 Dec 2008, 15:44

I installed 6.1 yesterday on my ps3 and have experienced this problem and then some. I was able, after rebooting multiple times, to get the installer to get passed that /sbin/loader hangup. Sadly my problems have not stopped there. Now that I have the system installed all most every time time I boot the system it will get stuck right after switching from the kboot screen or sometimes I'm lucky enough to have it get to trying to start udev.

I've successfully booted once into the OS after the install, but have yet to get back in after shutting down the system over the night because the system became unresponsive/thrashing after my network connection dropped. Not exactly the fun I was looking forward too this weekend.
fract4l
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby haze_1986 » 28 Dec 2008, 00:43

i have the exact same problem and after rebooting a few times it doesnt work. using install_ps3_all different res also dint work for me
haze_1986
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby superslacker » 28 Dec 2008, 02:42

Bump

:shock:
superslacker
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Hellz » 29 Dec 2008, 21:15

Hi, I was suffering the same issue tonight, heres what I found...

Following typing in 'install_ps3_1080p' and hitting the <Enter> key I immediately unplugged all USB devices i.e. Keyboard and Mouse, shortly after this the Yellow Dog Linux graphical interface appeared at which point I ONLY plugged in the Mouse and was able to continue on from there... However, I then got to the root password prompt at which point I plugged in the keyboard again to enter a password and the installation fell over again.

My advice, try a different keyboard/mouse depending on which is causing the problem...

NOTE: My keyboard is the Logitech G15 Revision 2 - it appears to be causing no end of problems during the install.

Good Luck
Hellz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby RMiz » 30 Dec 2008, 02:19

HELP! HELP! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!(I AM NEW)
I tried to Install YDL 6.1 yesterday Without a keyboard/mouse!
I think everything is going well till the boot menu with the 2 penguins. At the kboot im suppose to type something right? if yes, today i bought a sony keypad for ps3 as my keyboard and i charged fully, connected to ps3 and nothing happens I cant type connected or wireless. I know this is my fault because i think i was supposed to connect device first. Please, if anyone could help please HHHHHHEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPP!!
RMiz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 30 Dec 2008, 08:54

RMiz wrote:HELP! HELP! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!(I AM NEW)
I tried to Install YDL 6.1 yesterday Without a keyboard/mouse!
I think everything is going well till the boot menu with the 2 penguins. At the kboot im suppose to type something right? if yes, today i bought a sony keypad for ps3 as my keyboard and i charged fully, connected to ps3 and nothing happens I cant type connected or wireless. I know this is my fault because i think i was supposed to connect device first. Please, if anyone could help please HHHHHHEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPP!!

We ask that folks not double post in our forums. Your question has been answered in your other post.

Everyone else - please ignore. This is unrelated to your question.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 30 Dec 2008, 08:59

superslacker wrote:Hi all.

In a nushell, everything goes according to plan, untill I pass the part where I select the PS3 resolution type at the kboot section. This part loads, flashes, starts to install but stops at "running /sbin/loader", the next line is a _ but it's not flashing.

I've let it sit here for a few mins (10-15) but doesn't continue. I've rebooted and tried a few other resolutions, same results.

Please advise.

The first thing to check in these situations is the SHA1SUM value of your downloaded ISO. Before you spend too much time troubleshooting, make sure your SHA1SUM is correct.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Crossbearer » 30 Dec 2008, 20:31

Hi everyone,

I suffered the same problem as the threadstarter and could not get around the problems we all face.

Except the fact that my old G15 Logitech keyboard seems to be the problem as Hellz stated.

Maybe everyone check the type of keyboard and post it, so this issue can be resolved in future!

I am going to exchange the keyboard tomorrow with another model without additional usb-ports -of which I think causing the problem!-.

Although I have to point out that the installation ran once fine with the same keyboard but got stuck after I entered a root password and rebooted.

Cheers,

Daniel
Crossbearer
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby superslacker » 31 Dec 2008, 04:09

Hellz wrote:Hi, I was suffering the same issue tonight, heres what I found...

Following typing in 'install_ps3_1080p' and hitting the <Enter> key I immediately unplugged all USB devices i.e. Keyboard and Mouse, shortly after this the Yellow Dog Linux graphical interface appeared at which point I ONLY plugged in the Mouse and was able to continue on from there... However, I then got to the root password prompt at which point I plugged in the keyboard again to enter a password and the installation fell over again.

My advice, try a different keyboard/mouse depending on which is causing the problem...

NOTE: My keyboard is the Logitech G15 Revision 2 - it appears to be causing no end of problems during the install.

Good Luck

Interesting...

I'm also using a G15 Keyboard. Sadly, my other KB is a PS2 type... /sigh
superslacker
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby superslacker » 31 Dec 2008, 04:10

ppietro wrote:
superslacker wrote:Hi all.

Please advise.

The first thing to check in these situations is the SHA1SUM value of your downloaded ISO. Before you spend too much time troubleshooting, make sure your SHA1SUM is correct.

Cheers,
Paul

Heya, I forgot to mention this on my original post, but I did check it it was good.

I also burned the ISO on a slower speed and on a different DVD, same results. :(
superslacker
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Crossbearer » 01 Jan 2009, 11:55

Happy new year, everyone!

I bought a simple USB-keyboard, yesterday. The installation process worked like charm. :)
Crossbearer
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby superslacker » 01 Jan 2009, 17:31

Crossbearer wrote:Happy new year, everyone!

I bought a simple USB-keyboard, yesterday. The installation process worked like charm. :)

Same here, I got a simple USB KB and the install worked like a charm.

I'm assuming the USB hub built inside the G15 throws off the boot process for some reason, perhaps the OS thinks it's a some type of disk controller or sorts???

Anyways, may want to notify that these types of KB's are problem matic.

Cheers
superslacker
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 01 Jan 2009, 18:30

superslacker wrote:Anyways, may want to notify that these types of KB's are problem matic.

Yes - please do that!!!

You can use the bugzilla tracker here:
http://bugzilla.fixstars.com/

(You'll probably need to set up an account first - it's pretty easy.)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby superslacker » 01 Jan 2009, 19:11

ppietro wrote:
superslacker wrote:Anyways, may want to notify that these types of KB's are problem matic.

Yes - please do that!!!

You can use the bugzilla tracker here:
http://bugzilla.fixstars.com/

(You'll probably need to set up an account first - it's pretty easy.)

Cheers,
Paul

Done. :)

Bug 327
superslacker
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Next

Return to Installation