YDL 6.0 or 6.1

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

YDL 6.0 or 6.1

Postby newdog » 02 Jan 2009, 13:13

I would like the advice of those who know better - as a 'newbie' which is recommended that I install on my PS3: YDL 6.0 or 6.1 ? Which will be the least painful (easiest) to install in general and which will give the better wireless connection to my network?

This will be my first install of Linux. I have done numerous installs of Mac OSX and Windows (spit). The internet connection will be through an Airport Extreme Base Station (802.11g) - I currently use a Macbook (new) running Mac OSX (.5) and a Powerbook G4 (Mac OSX .4). The PS3 would be joining this network.
80 Gig PS3 (320 Gig), Kogan 32" 1080p, YDL 6.1 (Attempting 6.2) FW 3.1
newdog
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: YDL 6.0 or 6.1

Postby ppietro » 02 Jan 2009, 18:23

newdog wrote:I would like the advice of those who know better - as a 'newbie' which is recommended that I install on my PS3: YDL 6.0 or 6.1 ? Which will be the least painful (easiest) to install in general and which will give the better wireless connection to my network?

This will be my first install of Linux. I have done numerous installs of Mac OSX and Windows (spit). The internet connection will be through an Airport Extreme Base Station (802.11g) - I currently use a Macbook (new) running Mac OSX (.5) and a Powerbook G4 (Mac OSX .4). The PS3 would be joining this network.

We've been discussing this in the PS3 forum. See here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4463

6.1 does have some issues with Wireless networking. This is, in part, due to the addition of a new wireless manager, wicd. We're still working out how to set it up correctly. 6.0 can be just as difficult to set up, though, so in my opinion, you're better off installing 6.1

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation