Problems bugs after installation

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Problems bugs after installation

Postby harleymick » 11 Jan 2009, 00:06

I have 80GB PS3, firmware 2.53 and installed YDL 6.1 recently after several retrial.
Everything is running as it should however there are a few little problems which are really annoying. Those problems seem to be quite common and may be its a good idea to summarize them. So here they are:
1) Hardware clock problem at the start up and shut down of linux
2) when returning to game OS, the PS3 has to be powered up and down to get the Dual shock controller synchronised again
3) When shutting down YDL it says that it takes longer due to problems terminating some applications, but I have nothing up and running.
Thats it for me-
harleymick
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Problems bugs after installation

Postby ppietro » 11 Jan 2009, 10:49

harleymick wrote:I have 80GB PS3, firmware 2.53 and installed YDL 6.1 recently after several retrial.
Everything is running as it should however there are a few little problems which are really annoying. Those problems seem to be quite common and may be its a good idea to summarize them. So here they are:
1) Hardware clock problem at the start up and shut down of linux
2) when returning to game OS, the PS3 has to be powered up and down to get the Dual shock controller synchronised again
3) When shutting down YDL it says that it takes longer due to problems terminating some applications, but I have nothing up and running.
Thats it for me-

These are all known issues.

1. No workaround. You can't access the hardware clock directly due to hypervisor restrictions. This message will always appear. Your time should be correct though, right? Just FYI - Linux on the PS3 runs under a virtual machine hypervisor - much like VMWare. The hypervisor is present to translate the oddball PS3 hardware into something resembling a modern computer.

2. This is a known issue and Sony is working on it. If you don't need bluetooth in Linux, you can prevent this by disabling a couple of services. As root user, issue the following commands from the terminal:
chkconfig bluetooth off
chkconfig hidd off

and then shutdown and restart Linux.

3. Again - known issue. No workarounds at this time. This generally happens in E17 (Enlightenment) because Nautilus is running. Nautilus provides the "file manager" for the Enlightenment window manager. Quick Linux lesson - Linux has no graphics per se. We run a windowing system called X Windows. However - X Windows only knows how to draw a window. Everything else - like scroll bars, close buttons, title bars, etc. - what we call "decorations" - requires a separate program called a Window manager. There are a plethora of X Windows window managers. Most do not include any kind of file manager. YDL uses the Enlightenment window manager by default - which doesn't have a file manager. Instead, YDL uses the Nautilus file manager from a desktop environment called GNOME. That's what puts the icons on your desktop. When Enlightenment shuts down, it doesn't know how to tell Nautilus to shut down. Thus - you get an error message. It's harmless - but if it really bugs you, you should consider switching to GNOME. You can do that from the YDL login screen - select Session then select GNOME.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pablo » 20 Jan 2009, 23:00

Paul,
I see that he is using 80GB PS3 with 2.53, how does he get pass the login screen if there is a problem with boot. This was what stopped me from even trying to install 6.1 on my 80GB 2.53.

Boot Issue with the 80GB PS3 Running YDL 6.1
We are currently experiencing a YDL boot failure issue with the 80 GB PS3 (model number 98015). When attempting to boot into YDL, either via the the Boot Other OS option or via rebooting, a call trace is displayed on the screen, preventing you from logging into YDL. Until this issue is resolved, upgrading the GameOS to v. 2.53 is not recommended.

:idea: PS: Someone may want to move this topic to Playstation category.
Running YDL 6.1 on Image 80GB PS3 Model: CECHE01 *Add your Model # / [GNOME] / Game OS 2.60
List of my Sony Stuff, Still not a fanboy.
pablo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 21 Jan 2009, 01:31

pablo wrote:Paul,
I see that he is using 80GB PS3 with 2.53, how does he get pass the login screen if there is a problem with boot. This was what stopped me from even trying to install 6.1 on my 80GB 2.53.

Boot Issue with the 80GB PS3 Running YDL 6.1
We are currently experiencing a YDL boot failure issue with the 80 GB PS3 (model number 98015). When attempting to boot into YDL, either via the the Boot Other OS option or via rebooting, a call trace is displayed on the screen, preventing you from logging into YDL. Until this issue is resolved, upgrading the GameOS to v. 2.53 is not recommended.

I recommend buying a 60 gig PS3. :lol:

Actually - I had not seen that advisory. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

That doesn't sound very good - does it?

pablo wrote: :idea: PS: Someone may want to move this topic to Playstation category.

Not a bad idea - billb - what do you think?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pablo » 21 Jan 2009, 02:17

I was expecting a more enlightening answer like "oh that has been fixed", or "just do ..... and it will go away".. But I guess it is still there and I am stuck with 5.0.1 :shock:
Running YDL 6.1 on Image 80GB PS3 Model: CECHE01 *Add your Model # / [GNOME] / Game OS 2.60
pablo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 21 Jan 2009, 05:57

pablo wrote:I was expecting a more enlightening answer like "oh that has been fixed", or "just do ..... and it will go away".. But I guess it is still there and I am stuck with 5.0.1 :shock:

From me? Nope - sorry - I have a 60 gig US model. :D

Looks like there's a new firmware coming - maybe that will take care of the issue:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/01/ ... 60-update/

Also - it looks like this only affects 6.1. You could try 6.0. :twisted:

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pablo » 21 Jan 2009, 16:11

I guess that's what I have to do, in the meantime I hope YDL staff can try 2.6 and report back, because I would hate to go through another installation if 2.6 breaks something in 6.0 or fixes 6.1 after I install 6.0.
pablo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby billb » 21 Jan 2009, 16:37

I have an 80 GB PS3 running YDL 6.1, but it's a different model # ... it's a CECHK01.

Apparently, 98013 = CECHK01 and 98015 = CECHL01 (saw that here).

It looks like the CECHK has a 90nm RSX where the CECHL has a 65nm RSX, looking at:

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html ... ifferences

So ... do you have that specific model of the 80 GB (CECHK)? If not, you probably wouldn't have that issue.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pablo » 21 Jan 2009, 17:16

Time to pull it out and check under its skirt. :)
pablo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Installation