Error after Install (PS3) please help

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Error after Install (PS3) please help

Postby senators24 » 15 Jan 2009, 01:09

:) alright i was able to install without a hitch it asked to reboot...then after it took a minute to boot up and came to this screen asking me to login.... i can login in using root but i dont know why it even came to this screen.....and i dont recall doing anything i wasnt supposed to.....please help

here is a link to a video i posted to youtube to show what happened...please help
:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1dyFP4HyNI

I just uploaded it so its probablly still processing

EDIT:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Installi ... 0880.shtml

Go there ... i got to part 3 it says:

Part 3 – Final steps and the screenshot tour!

When the Yellow Dog Linux will start, you will notice two YDL icons, representing the two cores of the CELL processor, followed by six Fixstars logos, representing the 6 available SPEs (Synergistic Processing Elements) of the CELL processor.

In a few seconds you will see the customized Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 boot splash. When the boot process is over, you will be prompted by a first-boot configuration process. Please follow the instructions below:

Highlighted in GREEN, I seen that part on my screen but highlighted in RED is what did not come up - there was no boot splash screen instead there was a command promt thing...
senators24
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Error after Install (PS3) please help

Postby ppietro » 15 Jan 2009, 04:24

Did you install using the install_ps3_480i option by any chance? That's normal post-install behavior for a text installation.

Even if you didn't install that way - that's where you are now. :)

Follow these procedures to finish up the installation:
http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... to-5.shtml

It's also advised that you create a standard user account - you don't want to log in as root for day to day use. This is to prevent account hijacking.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby senators24 » 15 Jan 2009, 05:00

ppietro wrote:Did you install using the install_ps3_480i option by any chance? That's normal post-install behavior for a text installation.

Even if you didn't install that way - that's where you are now. :)

Follow these procedures to finish up the installation:
http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... to-5.shtml

It's also advised that you create a standard user account - you don't want to log in as root for day to day use. This is to prevent account hijacking.

Cheers,
Paul

Alright i have an update.....Yes I did choose 480i because im using an SDTV.

It stili wouldn't even boot up after i typed "Xautoconfig". I was looking around and i found out all i had to type was "startX" and of course it worked but the resolution sucks so bad... the black border around the screen is very big and when i open up windows in Linux i can't exit them because i don't know where the exit button is lol

My question is: Is there any easy way to change the screen resolution to fit my TV because have tryed other web sites but all i could find is info on how to change resolution with an HDTV.

And for some reason i have to go into system settings and enable my wireless connection every time i boot into the OS. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance
senators24
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 15 Jan 2009, 11:09

senators24 wrote:My question is: Is there any easy way to change the screen resolution to fit my TV because have tryed other web sites but all i could find is info on how to change resolution with an HDTV.

You can try it fullscreen - but then the resolution will probably extend past the edges of your screen - which is worse. (This is called Overscan - and is common with 480i displays)

There are instructions here if you want to try it anyway.
Please READ ME FIRST (known issues, useful links, and help)
Scroll down to the appropriate "Howto PS3 video" section.

senators24 wrote:And for some reason i have to go into system settings and enable my wireless connection every time i boot into the OS. Is this normal?

No, it's not. Do you have the "Activate Network on boot" checkbox set? It's in the Network Configuration control panel. Double click on the active connection, and in the General tab (IIRC), you should see a checkbox for that. (I'm away from my PS3 right now, so I can't double check this. I'll post a correction tomorrow if I got it wrong.)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 15 Jan 2009, 17:55

To deal with the low resolution on SDTV, I'd suggest:

Right-click on the edge of a window and select "Move", or select a window to move and press Alt-F7. This way you can adjust the window so you can get to any dialog boxes that went off the screen.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation