Can't install on a PS3

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Can't install on a PS3

Postby drjarmin » 31 Jan 2009, 08:28

Hello

I am trying to install YDL6.1 on a 40Gb PS3 running OS 2.60.

I have format the drive, allocated 30GB to the 'Other OS'

When I get to the KBoot: prompt and type install_ps3_1080i (or any other option for that matter) I get a load of error messages:

'Attempt to access beyond end of device' repeatedly.

Any advice???

Thanks
drjarmin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Can't install on a PS3

Postby ppietro » 31 Jan 2009, 09:25

drjarmin wrote:Hello

I am trying to install YDL6.1 on a 40Gb PS3 running OS 2.60.

I have format the drive, allocated 30GB to the 'Other OS'

When I get to the KBoot: prompt and type install_ps3_1080i (or any other option for that matter) I get a load of error messages:

'Attempt to access beyond end of device' repeatedly.

Any advice???

Thanks

Sounds like you might have a bad disc burn.

Did you verify the ISO download with SHA1SUM? You should be able to find instructions on how to do this in the ISO download directory.

Also - what software did you use to burn the disc? Did you burn the ISO as a single file to disc? That won't work - you need to create the disc from the ISO.

You might try a program called IMGBURN. Use the "write image to disc" option.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby drjarmin » 31 Jan 2009, 09:32

Hi Paul

Sorry, I should have given a bit more info.

I did use Sha1sum and the verification code matches that on the website I d/loaded the iso from.

I used DVD Decrypter to burn the ISO to a disk.

The only USB keyboard I have is a Logitech. Could that be the issue? I have read another post on this forum that someone had a similar issue with a Logitech G15 keyboard.

Mine is a basic Logitech 200 USB keyboard - nothing fancy. Mouse is also a Logitech USB mouse - again nothing out of the ordinary.

I will try to burn another disc and see if that works but the disk appears fine.

Anything else I should be checking?
drjarmin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 31 Jan 2009, 09:39

drjarmin wrote:I used DVD Decrypter to burn the ISO to a disk.

I think the best thing to try is IMGBURN, with the Write Image To Disc option. It's by the same guy who wrote DVD Decrypter - and most users have reported success with it. Plus - it's free. :)

Other than that - if you've got a friend with a generic USB keyboard, you might try that.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby drjarmin » 31 Jan 2009, 09:45

ImgBurn installed and currently verifying the burn.

I'll format the PS3 again and try with this new disk. Keyboard ... not to sure what to do about that one as no shops with USB Keyboards nearby.... Is it feasible it is the logitech keyboard stopping it working? When I plug it in it is recognised as a Logitech USB.
drjarmin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 31 Jan 2009, 09:50

drjarmin wrote:ImgBurn installed and currently verifying the burn.

I'll format the PS3 again and try with this new disk. Keyboard ... not to sure what to do about that one as no shops with USB Keyboards nearby.... Is it feasible it is the logitech keyboard stopping it working? When I plug it in it is recognised as a Logitech USB.

It's feasible - but not likely though. Still - it was worth a shot to try a friend's keyboard.

By the way - you shouldn't need to format your PS3 again. Just start OtherOS - with the install DVD in the drive - and begin the install. it will format the Linux partition(s) during the YDL install.

Linux can't interfere with the GameOS at all. There a hypervisor - much like on virtual machines (VMWARE) - that prevents Linux from accessing any of the GameOS disc or software.

BTW - you did do the "install otherOS" step from the GameOS before you started the install, right? If you've done it, you don't need to do it again. I'm just making sure all the pieces are in place. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby drjarmin » 31 Jan 2009, 10:00

Thanks Paul

I switched the PS3 off at the back. Turned it back on and ejected the disk. Put in the new disk and it straight away went into the installer - no need to type in 'install_ps3_1080i'

Working through the installation now. Not sure if this matters.

Thanks again for your help.
drjarmin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation