kboot noob here

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

kboot noob here

Postby drtxprt » 09 Feb 2009, 07:26

Background
PS3 CECHA01
250GB 7200 RPM 16MB cache Upgraded HDD from 60GB factory HDD
Downloaded YDL 6.1 successfully from mirror
Burned as ISO successfully
Installed on PS3 successfully
I went through the entire installation process without a single error. I used firefox and other applications in the gnome and e17 environment for a few hours just to mess around with the OS and try it out. I switched back to my PS3 to play some games and then went to bed. The next day I boot up my PS3 and played some more PS3 games then decided to switch back to Linux to try some more applications. I change the default OS to other and it restarts. Command prompt does its thing during the boot. It stops at kboot and... nothing. The cursor is there. My keyboard works fine. I believe I am just unaware of a command that I may need to type in to boot up to one of the YDL environments. Can you help me? I can boot back to the GAME OS no problem from the kboot. I just don't know how to run the YDL OS.
drtxprt
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: kboot noob here

Postby ppietro » 09 Feb 2009, 09:09

drtxprt wrote:Background
PS3 CECHA01
250GB 7200 RPM 16MB cache Upgraded HDD from 60GB factory HDD
Downloaded YDL 6.1 successfully from mirror
Burned as ISO successfully
Installed on PS3 successfully
I went through the entire installation process without a single error. I used firefox and other applications in the gnome and e17 environment for a few hours just to mess around with the OS and try it out. I switched back to my PS3 to play some games and then went to bed. The next day I boot up my PS3 and played some more PS3 games then decided to switch back to Linux to try some more applications. I change the default OS to other and it restarts. Command prompt does its thing during the boot. It stops at kboot and... nothing. The cursor is there. My keyboard works fine. I believe I am just unaware of a command that I may need to type in to boot up to one of the YDL environments. Can you help me? I can boot back to the GAME OS no problem from the kboot. I just don't know how to run the YDL OS.

Do you have the YDL install disc in the PS3 DVD/Blu-ray drive? You need to remove that - it overrides the default kboot and tries to install.

Otherwise, there's no magic command - kboot should already have boot options set that don't require keyboard entry. It does take 10 seconds - have you waited that long?

If you don't have the YDL installer disc in the drive, and nothing happens after 10 seconds, you can type the TAB key to see the available kboot options. However - if the PS3 isn't starting YDL automatically, there may not be any boot options in your yaboot.conf file to TAB into.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby drtxprt » 09 Feb 2009, 17:21

Thank you for your quick response.
The disc is not in the drive. I have waited minutes and received no response. Tab does nothing. If there are no boot options, what do you think I should do? I ran a disc check after the image was written to the DVD and there were no corruptions. I even ran the burn process at a lower speed. I don't believe there was a problem with the image or DVD. The install worked keep in mind. I was able to run YDL once the install was initially completed. It was not until I had switched over to the GAME OS, shut down the PS3, booted the console back up, and switched over to the YDL OS that it no longer started the GUI OS of YDL. Any ideas?
drtxprt
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 09 Feb 2009, 17:26

Any other devices plugged in during install (USB hard drives, memory cards, etc)?
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby drtxprt » 09 Feb 2009, 19:16

Actually yes. I never had thought of that. I have a 160 GB Fat32 external HDD plugged in. I also have a USB hub. I will try removing everything except my keyboard and mouse.
drtxprt
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby drtxprt » 09 Feb 2009, 19:27

I just tried unplugging everything except the keyboard and mouse and I ended up with the same result. Maybe if i submit a screenshot of my status, you guys can get a better idea of what you think I should do. As far up as I can read on the screen (it is in the command state), it shows the detection status of the input devices and network devices. It then shows the process of obtaining an ip address. Immediately after the ip is obtained, the following line is " kboot: " with blinking cursor and that is it.

Am I right in assuming that there is not a known way of booting up YDL from kboot? I remember using dos to boot windows. I don't know if this is the same thing however because I don't know if I am actually logged in as a user at this point in my status or not. I really don't know the directories very well for using kboot.

Any ideas?
drtxprt
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 09 Feb 2009, 19:56

drtxprt wrote:Actually yes. I never had thought of that. I have a 160 GB Fat32 external HDD plugged in. I also have a USB hub. I will try removing everything except my keyboard and mouse.

During installation, do you recall seeing multiple hard drives? Just want to confirm you didn't actually install YDL to the USB drive instead of the internal drive (I think it's called "ps3da"). It also asks which drive you want to boot the installation from on that screen.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 09 Feb 2009, 19:58

drtxprt wrote:I just tried unplugging everything except the keyboard and mouse and I ended up with the same result. Maybe if i submit a screenshot of my status, you guys can get a better idea of what you think I should do.

Nope - not necessary. billb got it with the extra USB device plugged in. You'll probably need to re-install - without that USB device attached - although I'd wait for billb to confirm that.

Am I right in assuming that there is not a known way of booting up YDL from kboot? I remember using dos to boot windows. I don't know if this is the same thing however because I don't know if I am actually logged in as a user at this point in my status or not. I really don't know the directories very well for using kboot.

At this point, you're probably hosed and you'll need to re-install. The issue is that kboot controls how the firmware boot switches to the hard disc boot sector. If it can't find a kboot entry, because the yaboot.conf - (I know it's not the same - we use this configuration file in 6.x) - is on a different volume besides the root volume, then there's not much you can do.

billb - do you have any emergency recovery steps to try?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby drtxprt » 09 Feb 2009, 21:49

Thank you so much for the tips both of you. I wanted to confirm that I was "hosed" before I tried reinstalling. Thanks for the heads up on the USB HDD needing to be absent during install. There was one section during the install process where I remember the app asking about partition tables and/or drives. I just don't remember exactly what I set up. I am fairly sure I read it carefully but I could be mistaken. I guess I will try reinstalling. If I need more help I will post after that. Thanks for your advice again.
drtxprt
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 10 Feb 2009, 09:40

ppietro wrote:billb - do you have any emergency recovery steps to try?

If that is the case ... no, I can't think of anything other than just reinstalling and making sure the internal drive (ps3da) is selected for the partition setup and also the drive to boot from. Hopefully there wasn't anything important on that USB drive ... If you were to leave it selected and use the option to "Delete all partitions on selected drives" it would get re-partitioned and formatted during the process.

Best thing to do is just install without any memory cards or USB drives plugged in to avoid any mistakes.

Anyway, I'm not positive that we're on the right track here. Let us know how it goes after reinstalling. :)
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby drtxprt » 11 Feb 2009, 00:03

I just finished reinstalling. Thanks to your suggestions, it was a success. Apparently there was some essential information installed on the external drive that should have been on my internal drive. Everything works fine now. Thank you again guys. Keep up the good work. Peace.
drtxprt
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby redfox45 » 12 Feb 2009, 18:10

Well mine didnt. I downloaded YDL 6.1 from the website and burned it into a disc. I then (quick) formatted the disk (10GB for other OS) installed YDL and it stopped at kboot. I found this page and removed the install disk, a USB drive and an SD memory card and tried again...still nothing. And so I somehow managed to make it back to the PS3 OS and installed YDL from the disk agai...still nothing...I am getting a liiiiitle bit angry with this can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong? or how to get this OS working?

I currently have a 250GB HDD and a HDTV hooked up to my PS3
redfox45
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 12 Feb 2009, 22:27

Did you actually go through the whole process of installing YDL, or just the "Install OtherOS" part from the XMB? This just installs the bootloader which enables you to install YDL.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby redfox45 » 12 Feb 2009, 22:55

I installed what I burned onto the disk because it still went into penguin mode after the disk had been removed. Should I have done something else before hand?

What exactly was I supposed to have done?
What might I have not done?
redfox45
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 13 Feb 2009, 00:32

Let me ask this in a different way ...

Have you followed all the steps in the YDL 6.1 Install Guide?

http://us.fixstars.com/support/installa ... _guide.pdf

In other words ... format to create partition for YDL (I recommend 10 GB), Install OtherOS from XMB menu (that's the bootloader), then when you boot to the OtherOS (with the DVD in the drive), hit TAB to select the correct video mode for your TV -- starting the installation process?
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Installation