Installing YDL on an external HD is it possible and how?

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Installing YDL on an external HD is it possible and how?

Postby lilmario215 » 24 Feb 2009, 18:51

Hi, i am new to the linux world and i am interested in installing YDL on an external hard drive that is connected to my ps3, is this possible and what size partition should i create for the YDL os? If so can some one possibly point me in the direction of a read-me or a walk-through. I have a 500GB IOmega
lilmario215
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Installing YDL on an external HD is it possible and how?

Postby billb » 24 Feb 2009, 19:53

Booting from an external USB drive does not appear to be supported on YDL 6.0 - 6.1. It's possible to install to an external drive, but you have to make some changes after installing for it to boot.

See here:

http://lists.fixstars.com/pipermail/yel ... 22119.html

The steps in that message appear to be well written out as far as what commands you use, but I haven't tried this myself.

lilmario215 wrote:what size partition should i create for the YDL os? If so can some one possibly point me in the direction of a read-me or a walk-through. I have a 500GB IOmega

This depends on your intended use of both YDL and the Game OS side. If you were able to successfully install to and boot from the external drive using the steps above, you could avoid reformatting the PS3's internal drive at all. If you were to use the default parition setup on the external drive install, you'd have a small /boot partition, a huge / partition, and a 512 MB swap partition on the external drive. None of it would be accessible from the Game OS since YDL doesn't use a FAT32 partition and the Game OS can only read FAT32 formatted drives.

If you just want to play around with Linux a bit to "get your feet wet" I'd install without using the external drive at all (don't even plug it in to avoid mistakes), using a 10 GB partition for YDL and the rest to the Game OS (on your internal drive). Then you could use the external drive with a FAT32 partition and be able to access it from both Linux and the Game OS.

If you can give us an idea of what you plan on using your PS3 for in terms of running Linux and playing games from the XMB/GameOS it would help us make a recommendation.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Installing YDL on an external HD is it possible and how?

Postby billb » 27 Feb 2009, 04:21

Scratch that idea re: installing to external HD ... didn't work for me.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4857
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation