Help with Installing QEMU

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Help with Installing QEMU

Postby MDoane » 09 Mar 2009, 11:14

I have read so many places that installing QEMU (any version) running YDL 6.1 on my PS3 should be easy. Granted, I am a newb, but I can't figure out any way to make this happen. My goal is to be able to install Windows XP and run that off the x86 of QEMU. I've been to bellard.org/qemu/ and followed all of the instructions, but when it asks me to type in ./config, this happened.

[i@localhost tmp]$ cd qemu-0.10.0
[i@localhost qemu-0.10.0]$ ./configure
ERROR: "gcc" either does not exist or does not work
[i@localhost qemu-0.10.0]$ make
Makefile:3: config-host.mak: No such file or directory
Makefile:4: /rules.mak: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/rules.mak'. Stop.
[i@localhost qemu-0.10.0]$

Could someone tell me what I'm missing. Does the file have to be an rpm instead of a tar because my PS3 is a PPC? If That is the case, I have a QEMU 0.9.0 ppc zip from http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/. But, I have no idea what commands to enter into the terminal to install any of this stuff. Help me, please.

I'm stuck! : )

Thanks
MDoane
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Help with Installing QEMU

Postby ppietro » 09 Mar 2009, 19:14

It's tricky to build QEMU from source. There are some errors in the source code that must be manually patched.

Instead - why don't you use YDL's automated installing service?

If you set up the extra repositories as listed here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3017

Then you would use YDL's built-in Add/Remove Software utility to add QEMU.

Also - just FYI - you're going to have trouble building anything from source. You're apparently missing the Software Development tools - they probably didn't get installed during setup.

As root user, use this command line in a terminal window to easily install the development tools:
yum groupinstall 'Development Tools'

Finally - you're most likely going to find that Windows XP is a no-go for QEMU. Since QEMU is an emulator and not a virtualizer - this means it has to run x86 code with PPC instructions - it's not very fast. Things like Win XP will probably be too slow to be usable. I think most folks are running Win 98 or 95 with QEMU.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MDoane » 09 Mar 2009, 22:44

Paul, thanks for the quick reply! However, I tried running the Developmental Tools Install and here's what came up.

[root@localhost i]# yum groupinstall Developmental Tools
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Group Process
Warning: Group Developmental does not exist.
Warning: Group Tools does not exist.
No packages in any requested group available to install or update
[root@localhost i]#

Any idea where to get, and what directory to save these tools in before running the command again?

Also, I've tried to set up additional Repos but this error message appears when I download and try to open with the default software installer.

/tmp/ezrepos-3-ydl6.bdg.ppc-2.rpm could not be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
MDoane
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 09 Mar 2009, 22:49

MDoane wrote:Paul, thanks for the quick reply! However, I tried running the Developmental Tools Install and here's what came up.

[root@localhost i]# yum groupinstall Developmental Tools
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Group Process
Warning: Group Developmental does not exist.
Warning: Group Tools does not exist.
No packages in any requested group available to install or update
[root@localhost i]#

Take another look at my text - you're missing the apostrophes. Also - it's Development - not Developmental.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MDoane » 09 Mar 2009, 22:50

I forgot to add this: Since QEMU is an emulator and not a virtualizer, should I be looking for a virtualizer to accomplish running XP? If so, what one should I use? Or, should I abandon the idea or running XP on my PS3 and stick with getting QEMU installed to run 95 or 98?

Thanks a lot for your help, I'd be lost without you!

Matt
MDoane
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 09 Mar 2009, 23:22

MDoane wrote:I forgot to add this: Since QEMU is an emulator and not a virtualizer, should I be looking for a virtualizer to accomplish running XP? If so, what one should I use? Or, should I abandon the idea or running XP on my PS3 and stick with getting QEMU installed to run 95 or 98?

Unfortunately - Windows uses x86 processor instructions, and since you're running YDL, you have a PowerPC based computer.

In this case, a virtualizer won't work - virtualizers depend on the processors being the same. Emulation is your only choice for running Windows on PowerPC - and WinXP is going to be slow.

I would personally suggest going the Win98 or Win95 route.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MDoane » 10 Mar 2009, 03:22

Thanks Paul, it worked fine.

One other thing....I've tried to set up additional Repos but this error message appears when I download and try to open with the default software installer.

/tmp/ezrepos-3-ydl6.bdg.ppc-2.rpm could not be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences.

MDoane
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 10 Mar 2009, 03:34

MDoane wrote:Thanks Paul, it worked fine.

One other thing....I've tried to set up additional Repos but this error message appears when I download and try to open with the default software installer.

Use the command line instead.

If you downloaded to your desktop, then from a terminal window:
su -
cd /home/your_login_name/Desktop/
rpm -ivh ezrepos-3-ydl6.bdg.ppc.rpm

If you're logging in as root user, the command would be:
cd /root/Desktop
rpm -ivh ezrepos-3-ydl6.bdg.ppc.rpm

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 10 Mar 2009, 12:54

Ah -- I need to update the guide and/or update the mime types on my web host. At one time you could just click on the link and open in software installer, but now you need to save to desktop and then double-click to install. Or use Paul's method from the command line.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby confused_ydl » 12 Mar 2009, 05:41

ok. crazy idea that i doubt would work. use qemu to emulate x86 then install a virtualizer on top of that. HIGHLY doubt this would work, but had to ask! lol. :D
80gb motorstorm bundle ps3 with 4 usb and media ports
500gb external drive
26" LCD sony TV 1080i
confused_ydl
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 12 Mar 2009, 16:44

confused_ydl wrote:ok. crazy idea that i doubt would work. use qemu to emulate x86 then install a virtualizer on top of that. HIGHLY doubt this would work, but had to ask! lol. :D

It might work - but what would be the point? The virtualizer would only work inside of QEMU.

So - you'd already be using QEMU for emulation with a massive loss of speed, then you'd be running a virtualizer inside of QEMU with even more loss of speed?

I'm not sure why you'd want to do that.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby confused_ydl » 14 Mar 2009, 15:02

o i was just kiddin around lol. but you can do this on ydl 6.1? and what all os's can be used with this? windows 95 and 98, but what about, say xp or something?
80gb motorstorm bundle ps3 with 4 usb and media ports
500gb external drive
26" LCD sony TV 1080i
confused_ydl
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 14 Mar 2009, 18:30

confused_ydl wrote:o i was just kiddin around lol. but you can do this on ydl 6.1? and what all os's can be used with this? windows 95 and 98, but what about, say xp or something?

Realistically - only 95 and 98. Since it's an emulator and not a virtualizer, and it's only running on the moderately fast PPE PowerPC core, that's about it.

Let me clarify some terms here.

An emulator is a program written for one microprocessor that reproduces another. Since the program has to translate all the emulated processor's instructions into the host processor's instructions, there's generally a severe loss of speed.

A virtualizer makes a small computer inside your main computer. The small computer inside runs the same processor as the surrounding computer - no translation is necessary. You just need to allocate time from your main processor to handle the virtual one. There is some overheard, but for the most part, a virtualizer can run almost as fast as the main system.

So - QEMU is an emulator. It's one of the fastest out there - but it's an emulator.

I hope that helps set some expectations for folks. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation