how to uninstall on a ps3

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

how to uninstall on a ps3

Postby dcninja » 26 Mar 2009, 18:22

How do I uninstall this mess off of my ps3? This is one of the most broken linux distros ever. I'm not sure if it's ps3 related (it probably is) or if it's yellow dog itself. I'm going to try it on a spare pc to find out... seems mostly ps3 related. Anyway...I know I could reformat, but is there a way to uninstall it and get my space back for game os without having to reformat AGAIN. Thanks.
dcninja
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: how to uninstall on a ps3

Postby billb » 26 Mar 2009, 19:56

dcninja wrote:How do I uninstall this mess off of my ps3? This is one of the most broken linux distros ever. I'm not sure if it's ps3 related (it probably is) or if it's yellow dog itself. I'm going to try it on a spare pc to find out... seems mostly ps3 related.

Another possibility -- it could be user related. :mrgreen: You haven't actually mentioned in any of your posts what you consider to be broken, other than having some trouble with configuring the Sixaxis on the XE emulator.

Good luck with installing YDL on a spare PC -- it's a PowerPC-only distro and won't run on x86 machines.

Anyway...I know I could reformat, but is there a way to uninstall it and get my space back for game os without having to reformat AGAIN. Thanks.

No, there is no other way to get the space back for the Game OS other than reformatting. Be sure to back up for Game OS data first so you can restore it after the format. The bootloader (installed from the "Install OtherOS" option in the GameOS) will remain, but takes no space on the internal drive since it resides in the PS3's flash memory and has no effect on anything.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 26 Mar 2009, 19:57

dcninja wrote:I know I could reformat, but is there a way to uninstall it and get my space back for game os without having to reformat AGAIN. Thanks.

Unfortunately - no. The only way to get your space back for the GameOS is to repartition from the GameOS, which will wipe your GameOS disc.

You will need to backup your GameOS from the XMB, repartition/reformat, and restore your GameOS backup.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dcninja » 27 Mar 2009, 05:11

well I'll keep it on there until the ps3 controller support improves in yellow dog... maybe in the next version I hope...
dcninja
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 27 Mar 2009, 05:47

dcninja wrote:well I'll keep it on there until the ps3 controller support improves in yellow dog... maybe in the next version I hope...

It's not really Yellow Dog or any other distro of Linux for the PS3 (such as Fedora or openSUSE) that has a problem with supporting the Sixaxis -- it's the various games and emulators that have trouble with it.

Unlike a regular gamepad for PCs, nearly all the buttons on the Sixaxis are also recognized as axes since they're pressure sensitive. The only buttons, including the d-pad, that aren't pressure sensitive are L3, R3, Select, Start, and the PS Button. So what you have is an odd controller that the developers of these games and emulators haven't had to deal with in the past.

For example, when you press the X button on the Sixaxis, it's reported as axis 18 with a value of -32767 to 32767 depending on how hard you press it, as well as button 14 which is simply on/off. So when you're trying to configure the Sixaxis in something like XE, for example, it detects activity on axis 18 and button 14 at the same time. This unusual behavior wouldn't be seen on a typical joystick/gamepad.

Some have added or improved support for it and some haven't. If you want to make things much easier, just plug in a regular gamepad for PCs (USB wired or RF wireless).
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation