Error installing YDL 6.1

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Error installing YDL 6.1

Postby jose1024 » 06 Apr 2009, 17:20

Hello,

I have problems installing YDL 6.1 on my 80Gb PS3 with firmware 2.70. I’ve downloaded the ISO (several times to ensure the image are OK) and burned with ImageBurn at 2x0 speed. I’ve checked the ISO’s with SHA1SUM and everything is (apparently) OK.

1) From XMB, when I try to install Other OS a message like “No applicable installation” or so is displayed. If I manually copy the PS3 folder of the burned DVD into a USB memory stick the PS3 finds otheros.bld and installs the boot loader without problems. But I understand this indicates something wrong, because the boot loader should install directly from the YDL 6.1 DVD. It seems that the DVD (or the PS3 folder in it) is not recognized.

2) If I boot the other OS (after manually installed the boot loader with the USB memory stick), after several messages, I get the kboot prompt. But I’m stuck here. If I enter install_ps3_1080p (I have a Full HD TV) an error message is display (as if the command did not exist). Same for other resolutions. By pressing tab I get no option. I can type ps3-boot-game-os and it actually boot to XMB, but I’m unable to install YDL 6.1.

I’ve read that other users have issues depending on the keyboard used. Mine is a wireless Logitech (I don’t remember precisely the model) but it works (I’m able to type commands, so I don’t think it’s a keyboard problem, I guess.

I’m a linux noob so excuse me if I’ve done something wrong. Sorry also for my English, since I’m Spanish. Hope everything is understandable…

Thanks in advance.
jose1024
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Error installing YDL 6.1

Postby billb » 06 Apr 2009, 17:31

Did you use the "verify" option in imgburn to confirm it burned OK?

On my 60 GB PS3, at one time I had a problem where it wouldn't read the YDL install disc (including my official one from Fixstars). After backing up my data and restoring default settings it would read the disc OK, but I don't want to recommend you do that at this point.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 06 Apr 2009, 19:57

jose1024 wrote:I have problems installing YDL 6.1 on my 80Gb PS3 with firmware 2.70. I’ve downloaded the ISO (several times to ensure the image are OK) and burned with ImageBurn at 2x0 speed. I’ve checked the ISO’s with SHA1SUM and everything is (apparently) OK.

Just to double-check here - when you burn the DVD with IMGBURN, are you using the "Write image file to disc" option?

That would be following the steps here:
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

You're probably doing this correctly - I just want to make sure. :)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jose1024 » 06 Apr 2009, 23:04

Hello,

Just to double-check here - when you burn the DVD with IMGBURN, are you using the "Write image file to disc" option?

Yes, I did it that way.

Did you use the "verify" option in imgburn to confirm it burned OK?

Yes.

After backing up my data and restoring default settings it would read the disc OK, but I don't want to recommend you do that at this point.

I prefer not to restore default settings yet unless it's the only way to make it work. Frankly speaking, I don't imagine a setting that prevents a DVD from being read... Anyway, I'll follow your advise and wait for someone to give me another alternative.

Thanks a lot.
jose1024
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 06 Apr 2009, 23:57

jose1024 wrote:
After backing up my data and restoring default settings it would read the disc OK, but I don't want to recommend you do that at this point.

I prefer not to restore default settings yet unless it's the only way to make it work. Frankly speaking, I don't imagine a setting that prevents a DVD from being read... Anyway, I'll follow your advise and wait for someone to give me another alternative.

I couldn't think of a setting that prevented it from reading the DVD either, but since I knew I had a good DVD (directly from Fixstars, and tested OK on my other PS3) it was the only thing I could do at the time. The only GameOS setting I could imagine being involved would be the Autostart option (so that games normally start immediately when you put in the disc). I had that turned off before restoring default settings, and of course it was back on once I restored. If you have that turned off you might try turning it on just to see ... but I agree it seems unlikely that there are any GameOS settings that would cause it not to read the DVD.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jose1024 » 08 Apr 2009, 10:28

Hello,

Trying to see what's happening, what I realized is that actually my ps3 does not play anything!!! even BD, CD, DVD or games. So I think that's the real problem I have. I've tried to reset the unit but it's useless. I think I will have it repaired. It is (or was) a new one!

Thanks a lot. I'll keep you update when I'll get the new one.
jose1024
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 08 Apr 2009, 16:42

jose1024 wrote:I've tried to reset the unit but it's useless. I think I will have it repaired. It is (or was) a new one!

So you've already tried the restore default settings option and it still won't read ANY disc? Ouch. Good luck on getting it repaired/replaced.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jose1024 » 29 Apr 2009, 09:40

Hello,

Just an update. I've received my new PS3 yesterday and I installed YDL 6.1 without problems. Now I want to configure several settings but that's another history and I want to keep this thread clean.

To sum up, the problem was a hardware failure (the optical unit), so if you find problems, apart from reading the FAQs, verify that you can read BD, Games, DVD and CD's...

Thank you for your help.
jose1024
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation