Wireless WEP HEX?

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Wireless WEP HEX?

Postby Neill » 16 Apr 2009, 21:22

I am stuck on trying to get wireless to work and have tried most advice without success. The only thing I can think is that when using the WCID network manager is that I am using the wrong setting for WEP( this is what YDL 6.1 picks it up as in the WCID) If my WEP key has small letters with numbers surely this is WEP HEX?
Neill
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Wireless WEP HEX?

Postby ppietro » 16 Apr 2009, 22:46

Neill wrote:I am stuck on trying to get wireless to work and have tried most advice without success. The only thing I can think is that when using the WCID network manager is that I am using the wrong setting for WEP( this is what YDL 6.1 picks it up as in the WCID) If my WEP key has small letters with numbers surely this is WEP HEX?

A couple of things.

First - how are you entering your HEX key? The older Network Configuration panel used to use a "0x" before HEX keys. (i.e. 0x1234567891 ). Wicd just needs the key - don't use 0x as a prefix.

Second, WICD does have some issues. See here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534
in Scenario 3. You will have to patch wicd to get it to work.

Since you're using WEP, you may find it easier to use the original Network Configuration panel. It's not as exciting, but it works well. See Scenario 2 in the above link for tips on setting that up.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wireless WEP HEX?

Postby ppietro » 17 Apr 2009, 18:52

Neill wrote:I am stuck on trying to get wireless to work and have tried most advice without success. The only thing I can think is that when using the WCID network manager is that I am using the wrong setting for WEP( this is what YDL 6.1 picks it up as in the WCID) If my WEP key has small letters with numbers surely this is WEP HEX?

Also - another thing to consider. How many characters is your password? If it's only 5 characters long - it's ASCII, regardless if it looks like hex. A 64-bit minimum HEX password would be at least 10 digits long.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation