Login

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Login

Postby JonnyStew » 19 Apr 2009, 02:36

Alright, so I just installed Linux on my PS3 for the first time. During initial set up it asked me to create a username and password. I decided to skip over this because I thought it wasn't important. (yeah I know, dumb idea). Well when I start up the machine it asks for a username and password. root and my password doesnt seem to work. Is there a way to create a login?

Please let me know.

OH and if anyone has been able to use a Slibox Player to work with 6.1 PLEASE let me know haha.

Thank you,
JS
JonnyStew
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Login

Postby ppietro » 19 Apr 2009, 05:42

JonnyStew wrote:Alright, so I just installed Linux on my PS3 for the first time. During initial set up it asked me to create a username and password. I decided to skip over this because I thought it wasn't important. (yeah I know, dumb idea). Well when I start up the machine it asks for a username and password. root and my password doesnt seem to work. Is there a way to create a login?

Please let me know.

OH and if anyone has been able to use a Slibox Player to work with 6.1 PLEASE let me know haha.

Thank you,
JS

If you can't log in as root - you can't create a login. That's why you never want to lose your root password. :D

I know - I know - big help now. :D

So - yeah - during installation - you were prompted for a root password. Then the system rebooted, and you were prompted for a username and password, which you skipped. You should still be able to login with root and the first password you entered. If that doesn't work - it's easiest to re-install.

If re-installation is not an option, there is a complex procedure to re-work your root password - search our forums for it.

As for a "slibox player" - do you mean Slingbox Player? There's none for PS3 Linux that I'm aware of. There isn't even a player for Linux - the quick Google search I did suggests that you use the Windows player via WINE emulation. And so far - WINE only works on x86 processors - not the PowerPC processor that the PS3 uses.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation