YDL 6.1 Install Keyboard freeze

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

YDL 6.1 Install Keyboard freeze

Postby Josh7331 » 01 May 2009, 01:09

So I'm installing linux with a 40gb ps3 model with yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20090201_NEW_PS3 and I get to the point where it says *choose your keyboard* U.S. and all the other countries I'm sure your all well aware of. But when I hit U.S. it just stops and freezes right there. Mind you I'm using a dvd+rw which might be it considering this is my 3rd burn. (1st burn didn't work 2nd and 3rd get to keyboard part and just freeze..) So I reboot my ps3 and right before it reboots it says fatal system error 11 something. So I'm guessing it's ethier A. bad burn B. using wrong iso C. ps3 doesn't do well with microsoft keyboards or D. Sony doesn't want me playing runescape any time soon

What are you guy's thoughts? Oh and this is my first post so Hell to you all :D !
Josh7331
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: YDL 6.1 Install Keyboard freeze

Postby ppietro » 01 May 2009, 01:38

Josh7331 wrote:So I'm installing linux with a 40gb ps3 model with yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20090201_NEW_PS3 and I get to the point where it says *choose your keyboard* U.S. and all the other countries I'm sure your all well aware of. But when I hit U.S. it just stops and freezes right there. Mind you I'm using a dvd+rw which might be it considering this is my 3rd burn. (1st burn didn't work 2nd and 3rd get to keyboard part and just freeze..) So I reboot my ps3 and right before it reboots it says fatal system error 11 something. So I'm guessing it's ethier A. bad burn B. using wrong iso C. ps3 doesn't do well with microsoft keyboards or D. Sony doesn't want me playing runescape any time soon

What are you guy's thoughts? Oh and this is my first post so Hell to you all :D !

We've seen this before, but I don't know if we ever figured out what caused it.

Have you installed any other Linux on your PS3? ps3ubuntu, for example? Some folks reported that if they had installed another Linux that doing a quick format during the YDL installation fixed it.

Try searching our forums - there are threads about this here.

Ah yes - here it is:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3215&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=freeze

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Josh7331 » 02 May 2009, 00:25

Cool I just did a full format and it worked YES!!! (also used bootloader off the disc no need for USB jump drive) but now how do I get Java on linux? I'm sure it's right infront of my nose but I'm not having any luck. Must play runescape!!! :twisted: xD!
Josh7331
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 02 May 2009, 00:46

Josh7331 wrote:Cool I just did a full format and it worked YES!!! (also used bootloader off the disc no need for USB jump drive) but now how do I get Java on linux? I'm sure it's right infront of my nose but I'm not having any luck. Must play runescape!!! :twisted: xD!

Please READ ME FIRST (known issues, useful links, and help)

Look for "How to install Java plugin for Firefox (YDL 6.0)" entry.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Josh7331 » 02 May 2009, 02:49

I've tried for the last 4 hours trying to get java to work. The forum link you said was for firefox 2. Could you give a me step by step process? tried the whole extraction file and it didn't work then i tried for the last 2 hours on the terminal. Yet I've gotten no where, sorta angry. Now I'm watching Americans Next Top Model which is sad...
Josh7331
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 02 May 2009, 23:08

Josh7331 wrote:I've tried for the last 4 hours trying to get java to work. The forum link you said was for firefox 2. Could you give a me step by step process? tried the whole extraction file and it didn't work then i tried for the last 2 hours on the terminal. Yet I've gotten no where, sorta angry. Now I'm watching Americans Next Top Model which is sad...

Exactly the same procedure for Firefox 3.

The step by step is in there. You download the correct RPM, install it by double-clicking and using system-install-packages, then open a terminal window and type the stuff in green. I'm not sure I can add any clarity to that.

Where exactly are you having trouble?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation