YDL 6.1 on PS3 freezes on final install

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

YDL 6.1 on PS3 freezes on final install

Postby ch4sethe5un » 17 May 2009, 21:58

Hi,

So i am installing YDL 6.1 on a 80gb ps3. I followed the steps from softpedia(bottom) on how to install YDL 6.1.

I also did a sha1sum check on the ISO i downloaded from them and it was fine. And i used imgBurn to burn the ISO at 4x speed on a sony dvd+r.

My problem besides having to unplug my keyboard at the kboot page is(this is need to get past the "running sbin/loader" hang up),

When i get to the final installation right after you enter the root password and dependency stuff, i hit next to install and it doesn't proceed from there. The status bar for the installation hasn't changed at all. Currently, i am just leaving it on to see if it does change, but it has been an hour and no progress.

EDIT: i did the "install_ps3_1080p" at the kboot. I have a asus vh226h monitor.

Any help would be great,

Thanks
ch4sethe5un

softpedia
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Installi ... 0880.shtml
ch4sethe5un
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: YDL 6.1 on PS3 freezes on final install

Postby billb » 18 May 2009, 00:01

It seems unlikely for what you've described, but the only thing I can think of at this point since you've:

Checked the sha1sum on the iso
Burned the DVD with imgburn (presumably using verify after writing and got no errors?)
Formatted your drive from the GameOS with at least 10 GB to the "Other OS"
Have unplugged any other devices besides a keyboard & mouse?

Is that it could be the PS3 model you have has the problem mentioned on Fixstars' technical advisory page:

http://us.fixstars.com/support/advisories.shtml
Boot Issue with the 80GB and 160GB PS3 Running YDL 6.1 - ISSUE FIXED
We are currently experiencing a YDL boot failure issue with the 80 GB PS3 (model number 98015) and the 160GB PS3 (model number 900006). When attempting to boot into YDL, either via the the Boot Other OS option or via rebooting, a call trace is displayed on the screen, preventing you from logging into YDL. If you are experiencing this issue, update your kernel.

I don't know if "ISSUE FIXED" means that the solution they describe is the fix, or if a PS3 firmware update has fixed the problem. Also, this would occur after completion of your install and rebooting, not during install, I'd think.

What's the filename of the ISO you downloaded?
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ch4sethe5un » 18 May 2009, 01:01

The file name is "yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20090201_NEW_PS3".

I got it from here: http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload ... 10407.html

Is there another place i should try to get it from?

And i dont think i used the verify option with imgBurn(i will do that sometime today), but wouldn't the process not continue if there was a problem because linux does a media check?

Should i also try the update kernel option? Or is that only available to people with linux on there systems.

EDIT: [Another thing is that, the keyboard i us is a logitech G11(which the ps3 reads as a usb hub, because it has usbs built into the keyboard).
I only plug it in during:
- kboot prompt then unplug.
- wireless setup
- root password setup
- any other keyboard related setup then unplug right before final install.

Maybe i should get a plain USB keyboard, or a keyboard would not cause all these problems?]
ch4sethe5un
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ch4sethe5un » 18 May 2009, 08:02

i was just reading around on the internet and i found that logitech g11 and g15 do not play nice with the ps3 YDL installation(because of the fact that it is read as a USB hub as well as a keyboard).

I got the hang error at the "running sbin/loader" part, although I was able to figure out a way around it as mentioned above. But i feel that this could possibly be the reason that i can't finish the final installation.

What do you think?

EDIT:[ I did the verification test with imgBurn and it verified it to be a working dvd. ]

ch4sethe5un
ch4sethe5un
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 18 May 2009, 12:54

Yes -- sounds like trying a plain USB keyboard & mouse would be worth a shot, then.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 18 May 2009, 16:34

If changing the keyboard doesn't work, assuming everything SHA1SUMS correctly, you might try using DVD-R media, instead of +R. Also - I'd try a burn at 1X, instead of 4X.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation