YDL 6.1 Install Error

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

YDL 6.1 Install Error

Postby Spyhunter » 12 Jul 2009, 23:06

Hey all,

I have attempted to install YDL 6.1 PS3 version (from the site) but it hangs on the Keyboard Setup?

I have a keyboard plugged in and have done previous Linux Installs (since have wiped drive and changed to larger HDD)... Is this a normal process (hanging without any messages, as the mouse still works during the hang) or could I have a corrupt ISO of 6.1?
[PS3: Upgraded 60Gb to 500Gb] / YDL 6.1 / XMB 2.70
> Testing: MAME, Vice, Frodo, UAE, Stella
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: YDL 6.1 Install Error

Postby ppietro » 13 Jul 2009, 00:49

Spyhunter wrote:Hey all,

I have attempted to install YDL 6.1 PS3 version (from the site) but it hangs on the Keyboard Setup?

I have a keyboard plugged in and have done previous Linux Installs (since have wiped drive and changed to larger HDD)... Is this a normal process (hanging without any messages, as the mouse still works during the hang) or could I have a corrupt ISO of 6.1?

The first thing I would do is try checking your ISO download with SHA1SUM. On the server where you downloaded the ISO, there should be a quick instruction guide to SHA1SUM in the same directory.

We have heard reports of this from time to time - it usually occurs after someone has installed PS3Ubuntu and they try to install YDL. The solution seems to be a more thorough wipe of the Linux hard disc before starting the installation. Search through our forums - we definitely have posts about this archived.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Spyhunter » 13 Jul 2009, 09:03

I did actually install 6.0, then wiped then Ubuntu then changed HDD to new 500Gb one then installed 6.1

Surely the Linux install does not copy over anything from Old HDD to New HDD?
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Spyhunter » 13 Jul 2009, 09:34

Update:

Sha1sum code matches.
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 13 Jul 2009, 10:00

Spyhunter wrote:I did actually install 6.0, then wiped then Ubuntu then changed HDD to new 500Gb one then installed 6.1

Surely the Linux install does not copy over anything from Old HDD to New HDD?

Not directly - but there's a couple of things that spring to mind.

1. Did you update the otheros.bld file when you installed Ubuntu? You may need to reload the YDL otheros.bld bootloader. You do this from the PS3 GameOS XMB - it's the "Install OtherOS" pick from the system menu. You'll need the 6.1 DVD in the drive when you do this.

2. When you put the 500 gig drive in, did you partition it for Linux? A backup and restore to the new drive will not copy over the Linux partitioning from the PS3 GameOS side. You will definitely have to do the PS3 format/partition, allocating either 10 gig to OtherOS, 10 gig to GameOS or all to GameOS.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Spyhunter » 13 Jul 2009, 10:35

yep and yep LOL

I installed the new drive, partitions 10Gb to "otheros" and then ran the installer via the system menu of the XMB. (from 6.1 CD)

The new 6.1 installer runs as normal but just stops when hitting the keyboard setup - I have attempted differen t keyboard layouts and everything... the PS3 is still working/going as the mouse works - but nothing is flashing or notifying?

I have left for ages just in case it was me being impatient, but nothing...
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 13 Jul 2009, 17:12

Spyhunter wrote:yep and yep LOL

I installed the new drive, partitions 10Gb to "otheros" and then ran the installer via the system menu of the XMB. (from 6.1 CD)

The new 6.1 installer runs as normal but just stops when hitting the keyboard setup - I have attempted differen t keyboard layouts and everything... the PS3 is still working/going as the mouse works - but nothing is flashing or notifying?

I have left for ages just in case it was me being impatient, but nothing...

Another thought. Do you have any other USB devices plugged in - like a microphone or a hub or anything? I would make sure that all devices are unplugged except the keyboard and mouse - and they should be directly connected to the USB ports - no hubs.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Spyhunter » 13 Jul 2009, 22:22

yep only keyboard and moue plugged in i'm afraid.
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 13 Jul 2009, 23:08

Spyhunter wrote:yep only keyboard and moue plugged in i'm afraid.

You probably didn't try searching through our forums, so I went ahead and found the original thread for you. You may still have to do this:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3215&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=freeze

You'll start to see the solutions on page 2 of the thread. Basically, folks did a quick or full format, and it worked.

Also - I have one other thought, though this is kind of a long shot. :)

If you downloaded yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20081119.iso, you may be running into an issue with ps3vram. Certain PS3s can not handle ps3vram support compiled in the kernel.

Fixstars did create a build without the ps3vram support. If you have the time and bandwidth, you might try yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20090201_NEW_PS3.iso, and see if that works.

I'd try the formatting trick first though.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Spyhunter » 14 Jul 2009, 13:05

thanks i will try removing usb keyboard and re-inserting it, then formatting the drive (damn means I gotta backup and restore again :( )

also i am using "yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20090201_NEW_PS3" iso file.
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Spyhunter » 14 Jul 2009, 13:20

in all honesty - is YDL the better linux for PS3? or should I use this opportunity to convert to Ubuntu or another one?
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 14 Jul 2009, 17:47

Spyhunter wrote:in all honesty - is YDL the better linux for PS3? or should I use this opportunity to convert to Ubuntu or another one?

Let's see - asking this question on the Yellow Dog forum....

I wonder what type of unbiased answer you'll get? :lol:

Seriously, there is no "better" Linux for PS3. They're all quite different. You need to find the one that's best for you - that's what Linux is all about.

YDL is a Red Hat Enterprise based Linux. This means that it is not Debian based like Ubuntu - which means you do a few things differently (apt-get vs. YUM, Synaptic vs. pirut, etc.). YDL is also not based on Red Hat's Fedora distribution, which means that it's about 3 releases back from the current version of Fedora. (This is done to trade cutting edge code against stability). It is not Slackware based like OpenSuSE. Nor is it Gentoo based like...well...Gentoo.

Each of the major Linux flavors have various weaknesses and strengths - that's why Debian, Red Hat, Slackware & Gentoo exist. You will find ardent detractors & defenders for each one.

Personally - I grew up with Red Hat Linuxes. They seemed a natural extension from the SunOS/Solaris training I got at Boeing. I run a multitude of them - and YDL is one of the most polished. This is especially true when dealing with Linux on anything that isn't x86. x86 Intel architecture is the normal home of Linuxes - there's a lot of issues when you cross-compile it for different processors, like the PowerPC core of the PS3.

So - yeah - YDL is my favorite. I run various Fedoras on my PC - and based on what I've read, I don't think they'd be too stable on the PS3. Their forum isn't too responsive to non-x86 questions either. As for Ubuntu, the PS3 version is official, but not canonical. (Heh - clever Linux in-joke! :)) P3Ubuntu is a community build of Ubuntu that is officially sanctioned. Again - I don't think their on-line community is as responsive as ours.

And that's the rub - Linuxes are different enough where the community matters. We can only give general advice to Fedora or Ubuntu users - there's that much difference between the platforms. I like to think that our forum is one of the most helpful - that should be a big factor in your decision if you're not a Unix developer. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Spyhunter » 15 Jul 2009, 00:00

thank you, i appreciate the honest response.

latest update:
i have now install YDL 6.1 - i did a quick format back to full ps3, then format again to 10gb to otheros
install 6.1 no problems

well im a linux newbie so have lots of new questions but i will post these as seperate posts on this forum.. which is great by the way!!

Thanks all for the help!
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 15 Jul 2009, 00:53

Spyhunter wrote:also i am using "yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20090201_NEW_PS3" iso file.

One thing about this. You won't be able to use the ps3vram for swap memory. That was disabled in this build. There is an issue where certain PS3s crash at startup if ps3vram support in enabled in the Linux kernel.

Fixstars has an advisory about it here:
http://us.fixstars.com/support/advisories.shtml

This affects the 80 gig and 160 gig PS3s with the dual USB ports on the front. If you have one of the older PS3 models - including the 80 gig models with the 4 USB ports, you might want to try the other ISO - yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20081119.iso - which would allow you to use the ps3vram for swap memory. This would give you better performance when you fill your PS3's RAM memory and you have to invoke swap space to handle the increased load.

Or - you might just want to wait until YDL 6.2. There's a new version of the ps3vram driver that works on all PS3s. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Spyhunter » 15 Jul 2009, 08:29

can i upgrade from my current version to 6.2 when it comes out easily? or is it another installation

Also, I only want to run emulators (eg: MAME, etc) on it - is this going to effect running those with the version I am on?
Spyhunter
ydl lover
ydl lover

Next

Return to Installation