Installing Cell SK 3.1 ON ydl 6.1

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Installing Cell SK 3.1 ON ydl 6.1

Postby Tanvir » 24 Jul 2009, 22:32

Hello everyone

I'm following the procedure outlined in this link (http://yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.ph ... 3.1#p28134).

When i come to this part :

cd /mnt/sdk/ppc64/
yum --nogpgcheck localinstall *

i get this error :

Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resou ... base-mlist error was
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: base

and the install goes no further. So it looks like Linux is trying to connect to the Web (which it won't be able to do since i don't have internet connection) - the question is why, and how do i stop it from doing so ? I thought the --nogpgcheck option should stop it doing that ?

can anyone help ?

thanks
Tanvir
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Installing Cell SK 3.1 ON ydl 6.1

Postby ppietro » 24 Jul 2009, 23:58

Tanvir wrote:yum --nogpgcheck localinstall *

So it looks like Linux is trying to connect to the Web (which it won't be able to do since i don't have internet connection) - the question is why, and how do i stop it from doing so ? I thought the --nogpgcheck option should stop it doing that ?

No - the nogpgcheck option just tells yum not to use gpg signature validation on the repository.

The localinstall command is what's telling yum not to use the web. However - if there are missing dependencies, the YUM man page states:

"localinstall is used to install a set of local rpm files. If required the enabled repositories will be used to resolve dependencies"

So - my suggestion would be to go through your repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d and change enabled=1 to enabled=0 in your repos and try the command again. It will still probably fail - but maybe you can see why it's failing. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tanvir » 25 Jul 2009, 09:58

Thanks - i'll try this when i next get a chance and reply back
Tanvir
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Tanvir » 26 Jul 2009, 16:07

Tanvir wrote:Thanks - i'll try this when i next get a chance and reply back

ok, i've tried your suggestion of setting enabled=0, re ran the command yum --nogpgcheck localinstall *
I then i saw a load of output statements appear in the shell window, which i won't bother reproducing here - but at the end it showed the following :

--> Processing Dependency: spu-gcc-c++ for package: cellide
--> Processing Dependency: compat-libstdc++-33 for package: fdprpro
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: spu-gcc is needed by package cellide
Error: Missing Dependency: libstdc++.so.5 is needed by package ibm-java2-ppc-jre
Error: Missing Dependency: spu-gcc-c++ is needed by package cellide
Error: Missing Dependency: compat-libstdc++-33 is needed by package fdprpro

So it looks like it's missing the very stuff I'm trying to install ?!

Any ideas ?

thanks
Tanvir
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 26 Jul 2009, 19:53

Tanvir wrote:--> Processing Dependency: spu-gcc-c++ for package: cellide
--> Processing Dependency: compat-libstdc++-33 for package: fdprpro
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: spu-gcc is needed by package cellide
Error: Missing Dependency: libstdc++.so.5 is needed by package ibm-java2-ppc-jre
Error: Missing Dependency: spu-gcc-c++ is needed by package cellide
Error: Missing Dependency: compat-libstdc++-33 is needed by package fdprpro

So it looks like it's missing the very stuff I'm trying to install ?!

Yup - you have a bunch of missing programs. :D

What you're trying to install already assumes these low level libraries are installed, I think.

If you have even temporary access to a network, you can re-enable the repos and let YUM take care of the dependencies for you. Otherwise, you're going to have to find each missing RPM and manually install them. A good place to start looking for them would be on the YDL install disc.

In fact, you can use your YDL install disc as a repo. I posted about this a long time ago - here it is:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3463#p21098

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tanvir » 26 Jul 2009, 20:39

Thanks very much for your reply - Two questions :

i - what (if anything) extra is gained by installing the Cell 3.1 SDK separately over what YDL 6.1 installs ? Initially, when i tried compiling a simple (see http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/pa-linuxps3-1) program, this line was ok :

spu-gcc spe_distance.c -o spe_distance

But this line failed :

embedspu calculate_distance_handle spe_distance spe_distance_csf.o

the system complained that it couldn't find embedspu. When i was browsing the initial install of YDL, it looks like Eclipse (and the associated plug ins) weren't installed - which i believe the full Cell Sdk does install ?

ii - I do have wireless internet connection at my house (currently the PS3 is at my parents where there's no internet) - is getting YDL to connect to the router straightforward (can you provide me with a link if one is available that explains the process for PS3)

thanks one again
Tanvir
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 27 Jul 2009, 02:05

Tanvir wrote:Thanks very much for your reply - Two questions :

i - what (if anything) extra is gained by installing the Cell 3.1 SDK separately over what YDL 6.1 installs ?

As far as we can tell, the YDL Cell SDK contains only the open source portions of the SDK - but not all of it. There are more IBM specific portions that they can't include. If I remember correctly, this is enough to run Cell programs but not develop them. You need to install the IBM Cell SDK to do any development work.

(billb - or any of the Cell developers - feel free to jump in here. Since I'm normally a software tester/java developer, I don't do any Cell dev. work.)

Tanvir wrote:ii - I do have wireless internet connection at my house (currently the PS3 is at my parents where there's no internet) - is getting YDL to connect to the router straightforward

Yeah - it's fairly easy, if not straightforward. This should get you started:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tanvir » 27 Jul 2009, 08:13

great - thanks.
Tanvir
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Tanvir » 01 Aug 2009, 12:15

Hi again

I've moved my PS3 to my place (which has internet connection) - but the sticking point is that i don't have a HDTV - so YDL was originally configured for 720p output. When i boot it up connected to my SDTV, i don't get anything appearing after the kboot prompt. I've referred to this post (http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-linux ... 55120.html), but when i enter YDL480i at the prompt, i get this message :
/init: eval: 1 run level not found

(not the exact wording, but similar) and YDL carries on booting and i'm left with a blank screen. What am i doing wrong ? I just want to boot into a SDTV resolution temporarily so i can install the SDK

ta
Tanvir
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 01 Aug 2009, 12:23

6.1 didn't come with multiple resolutions set up in the /etc/yaboot.conf file. Two ways you can deal with this ... described in this post:

viewtopic.php?p=19293#p19293

(Except you'll want to use video-mode 1)
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tanvir » 04 Aug 2009, 11:04

Thanks for the tip - although funny enough i couldn't get that to work ! In the end i hauled my parent's HDTV to my house, hooked it up to my PS3 (with internet connection) and then had no problems installing the SDK

:D
Tanvir
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation