URL for yum upgrade ydl-6.1 to ydl-6.2

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Re: URL for yum upgrade ydl-6.1 to ydl-6.2

Postby Jester » 02 Aug 2009, 21:58

yes you can do it like that.

Code: Select all
su
*password*
gedit /etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-base.repo

then once the text editor pops up click save as and type in "yellowdog-base.repo.backup" then open a new sheet and copy and paste the repo into, with the 6.1 -> 6.2 changes I told you about and click "save as" and make sure it says "yellowdog-base.repo"

then do the same thing with yellowdog-updates.repo and yellowdog-extras.repo, obviously make sure you save updates as "yellowdog-updates.repo" and extras as "yellowdog-extras.repo" bc if you mess up the names then you could get into trouble. Just make sure to take note as to the file you are saving and write the exact thing it used to say, only for the old ones add a ".backup"
80GB CECHE01 - YDL 6.1 - PSN ACCT = Jester8648 - BenQ PE8700 Projector
Current Projects: Learning C++ & DIY Wind Turbine
Jester
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby Harman » 03 Aug 2009, 02:26

Wait, so all I have to do is replace the current ydl repos with the info from bills post on the first page, and then do yum upgrade and it will do its magic and i will be 6.2 all of a sudden? because that's not what happened.
Harman
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Jester » 03 Aug 2009, 04:40

not all of a sudden. it seems that they are slowly adding repos from 6.2 framework. I got 36 packages the other day. Then I downloaded like 100 and something today. The benefit is that I am getting all the good stuff without any of the bad i.e my bluetooth still works. Just have to wait a little longer. The part that makes me most sad is that gnash still isn't on the repo list. For more detail you will have to ask billb or ppietro
Jester
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby AmaiWana » 03 Aug 2009, 11:33

i think that right tut. buut new im having proplem with my gedit, it wont save or save as, it just crash... :?
lost in yellow dog.... it ate me.... :/
AmaiWana
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby joshd435 » 03 Aug 2009, 17:15

Just a quick question. Would you suggest update 6.1 to 6.2. Rather then doing a complete fresh install of ydl 6.2. From a dvd? Just seeing if it be better to install 6.1 then update to 6.2 using or just pop in 6.2 dvd and be done? What are your (ydl masters) options?? Thanks guys!
joshd435
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Harman » 03 Aug 2009, 17:33

I did it this way and didn't loose any of my data. It finally worked after a reboot and it had me update the kernel and 126 other packages. The background changed to a cool new .2 version. It' doesn't feel faster though in terms of the swap that was supposedly improved.
Harman
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Jester » 03 Aug 2009, 19:48

I actually haven't recieved 6.2 via yum yet. I have updated about 150 packages, but I'm still on -v 6.1. I was thinking perhaps some of the files are being protected? When I run a yum update/upgrade I get 213 packages excluded by protections, so I am wondering if prehaps some of the 6.2s are being protected? and how I would go about fixing that.

also what is the different between yum update and yum upgrade?
Jester
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 03 Aug 2009, 20:04

Jester wrote:I actually haven't recieved 6.2 via yum yet. I have updated about 150 packages, but I'm still on -v 6.1. I was thinking perhaps some of the files are being protected? When I run a yum update/upgrade I get 213 packages excluded by protections, so I am wondering if prehaps some of the 6.2s are being protected? and how I would go about fixing that.

also what is the different between yum update and yum upgrade?

If you based your 6.2 repos on my posted 6.1 repos, you would need to add protect=1 if you've installed yum-protectbase.

Remember - in that post I mentioned that this was from a test box that didn't have yum-protectbase installed.

In other words, none of your files should be protected for an upgrade. :)

Because of this, I would also make sure that just yellowdog-base is enabled when you do the 6.1 to 6.2 upgrade. You definitely don't want anything else enabled - it will create a lot of dependency thrashing if there are other repos enabled.

As for the differences between yum upgrade and yum update, check your man pages:

man yum

That will tell you better than I could. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jester » 03 Aug 2009, 21:58

So i disabled everything but yellowdog-base and took off the protect but it didn't find any files to upgrade. I my repo looks the same as what billb posted in like the second post of this topic. Here i'll just post it
[base]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 6.2 Base
mirrorlist=http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/yd62-base-mlist
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY
protect=0

as for update/upgrade, the difference is that yum upgrade is yum update with the --obsoletes flag
Jester
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 03 Aug 2009, 22:08

Jester wrote:So i disabled everything but yellowdog-base and took off the protect but it didn't find any files to upgrade. I my repo looks the same as what billb posted in like the second post of this topic. Here i'll just post it
[base]
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
protect=0

as for update/upgrade, the difference is that yum upgrade is yum update with the --obsoletes flag

Try a yum clean all then do it again.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 03 Aug 2009, 22:16

ppietro wrote:Try a yum clean all then do it again.

Also - did you just edit your current 6.1 repos? Or did you create new ones?

If you created new ones, you'll need to edit your old ones, or move them somewhere else, or they'll still take precedence.

As I mention in one of those posts:
You'll need to remove or rename your YDL 6.0 repos. Especially the parts between the [] - like [base] [updates], etc. Here's how I edited my YDL 6.0 repos to co-exist on my system:

http://yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.ph ... =15#p23070

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jester » 04 Aug 2009, 01:03

ppietro wrote:Also - did you just edit your current 6.1 repos? Or did you create new ones?

Well i created new ones but my originals are called "copy of yellowdog-*.repo" But i have some other ones... idk how they got there called "yellowdog-*.repo.rpmnew"
I tried the yum clean all command but with the same results
Jester
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 04 Aug 2009, 01:10

Jester wrote:
ppietro wrote:Also - did you just edit your current 6.1 repos? Or did you create new ones?

Well i created new ones but my originals are called "copy of yellowdog-*.repo" But i have some other ones... idk how they got there called "yellowdog-*.repo.rpmnew"
I tried the yum clean all command but with the same results

Yeah - your copies are screwing it up.

Whatever valid repos on your system exist in the /etc/yum.repos.d directory - i.e. anything that ends in .repo - yum will look between the [] to see the "name" of the repo.

Since you have copy of yellowdog-*.repo & yellowdog-*.repo with the same [base], [updates] and [extras] tags, this won't work.

Go back to my example here:
http://yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.ph ... =15#p23070

and notice how I edited the old ones.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jester » 04 Aug 2009, 10:04

alright I ran it again, I just deleted the old repos, the yum.repos.d folder was a little messy and my (self diagnosed) OCD forced me to delete the ones I didn't need, not like it was a big change anyway. But I still received the same results with the base repo unprotected.
Jester
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 04 Aug 2009, 10:17

Jester wrote:alright I ran it again, I just deleted the old repos, the yum.repos.d folder was a little messy and my (self diagnosed) OCD forced me to delete the ones I didn't need, not like it was a big change anyway. But I still received the same results with the base repo unprotected.

I see what the confusion is. Setting protect=0 means that the system is protected from this repo - this repo *can't* overwrite files. Setting protect=1 means the system is unprotected from this repo - this repo *can* overwrite files.

So - you need to set the base repo to protect=1, since you're running yum-protect, otherwise nothing will upgrade. I did mention this in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6490&p=32729#p32684

To clarify, here's my yellowdog-base repo for 6.2:

[base]
#baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/6.2/base/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
protect=1

Cheers,