YDL 6.2 Thumb Drive Install - single user mode?

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

YDL 6.2 Thumb Drive Install - single user mode?

Postby scrapMetal » 15 Aug 2009, 05:01

I just received my YDL thumb drive with YDL 6.2 PS3. The install was a snap. I created my regular user (not root) and password but it did
not ask me for a root password. OK - no problem just go to single user mode "init 1" "shutdown -r1". Or just boot into single user
mode at kboot prompt :ydl single" "linux 1". Is there a default root password or a method to get to single user mode so I can change it? Thanks!
scrapMetal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: YDL 6.2 Thumb Drive Install - single user mode?

Postby ppietro » 15 Aug 2009, 05:45

scrapMetal wrote:I just received my YDL thumb drive with YDL 6.2 PS3. The install was a snap. I created my regular user (not root) and password but it did
not ask me for a root password. OK - no problem just go to single user mode "init 1" "shutdown -r1". Or just boot into single user
mode at kboot prompt :ydl single" "linux 1". Is there a default root password or a method to get to single user mode so I can change it? Thanks!

Hmm - that's tough. No - the only account who can change root is root. Single user won't help you in this case. You normally would use the passwd command - but if you don't know root's password - you probably can't change it. (That's my recollection anyway)

So - if you use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch to a text mode, from the GUI login, you should get prompted for a text login. If you login as user root there, try a blank password, or a password of root.

The other option is that root may be disabled in favor of sudo. Try sudo cat /etc/passwd and see what that gets you. It's traditional in sudo systems to leave the password out of the root account.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Thumb Drive install, so I'm totally guessing here. If they post an ISO for the thumb drive on the YDL mirrors, I'll definitely give it a try.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby scrapMetal » 15 Aug 2009, 20:23

I googled for about 3 hrs and tried your suggestions. No luck. I know there was no setting of the root passwork during the installation. So the user I created should have been able to psudo and run all the appropriate commands neccessary to administer the system. When I go to Applications->System Tools->Network (trying to set up WiFi) logged in as the general user I get prompted for the root password, which I never set. I'm no stranger to Linux and installed YDL on my PS3 when it first came out. No WiFi though so I reformatted my PS3 drive and never looked back. When the thumb drive came out I thought that would be interesting. It is. But now I can't reinstall since I can't wipe out the install partition using the PS3 OS. Fun with Linux and masochistic tendencies always bring me back. I thought if I could get to single user mode that that is equivalent to logging in as root and I might have some luck there.
scrapMetal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 16 Aug 2009, 10:45

At the kboot prompt, enter:

Code: Select all
linux 1

At the sh-3.2# prompt, enter:

passwd

And then you'll be prompted for your new root password. It isn't necessary to know the old password.

Then just:

reboot
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 16 Aug 2009, 19:07

billb wrote:At the kboot prompt, enter:

linux 1

At the sh-3.2# prompt, enter:

passwd

And then you'll be prompted for your new root password. It isn't necessary to know the old password.

Then just:

reboot

billb - You can set runlevel from the kboot prompt? Man - that's cool.

Do we have a complete list of the kboot: options anywhere? I know about game, and the ability to type some simple Linux commands, but it sounds like there's a few more.

And - that's a good tip about being able to change root password from single user mode - I'll file that one away too. :)

Secondly - what's up with the thumb drive install, then? Shouldn't there be a default root password assigned or documented anywhere? If sudo isn't setup by default, then a root password-less installation is kinda less-than-useful, if you know what I mean.

Is there an ISO image of this thumb drive install anywhere? I'd love to test with it a bit.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 16 Aug 2009, 20:34

ppietro wrote:Secondly - what's up with the thumb drive install, then? Shouldn't there be a default root password assigned or documented anywhere? If sudo isn't setup by default, then a root password-less installation is kinda less-than-useful, if you know what I mean.

I'm not sure ... looking at the install guide it doesn't mention anything regarding a default root password:

http://us.fixstars.com/support/installa ... _2_USB.pdf

I don't see an .iso available for the YDL 6.2 thumb drive version anywhere (including ydl.net enhanced downloads).
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby scrapMetal » 16 Aug 2009, 21:27

Tried "linux 1" at kboot prompt with no luck. Just lets me tab through the various 720p, 1080i, 1080p, text commands so I boot
with the correct driver for my display.
scrapMetal
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 16 Aug 2009, 21:34

scrapMetal wrote:Tried "linux 1" at kboot prompt with no luck. Just lets me tab through the various 720p, 1080i, 1080p, text commands so I boot
with the correct driver for my display.

Just tried this on my (regular) YDL 6.2 install and it works fine, exactly as described. So at your kboot prompt you type in:

linux 1

(number 1, not letter l)

Then press [ENTER], and what happens?

On my system it proceeds to boot in text mode and stops at the sh-3.2# prompt.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ohm » 25 Aug 2009, 23:51

ppietro wrote:Do we have a complete list of the kboot: options anywhere? I know about game, and the ability to type some simple Linux commands, but it sounds like there's a few more.

That would be good to know, I would think that you would find this in the kernel source tree. I'm downloading now.

ppietro wrote:And - that's a good tip about being able to change root password from single user mode - I'll file that one away too. :)

Convenient but I hope that that there is a kernel boot parameter that can disable that. Of course, you would also have to set a grub password too..
PS3 noob
ohm
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 26 Aug 2009, 00:03

ohm wrote:That would be good to know, I would think that you would find this in the kernel source tree. I'm downloading now.

Kernel tree? Wouldn't that be part of the otheros.bld firmware code, instead? That gets run before the YDL kernel loads....

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation