EMAC installation - not easy: noobie questions

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

EMAC installation - not easy: noobie questions

Postby mburman » 21 Aug 2009, 21:16

Hello - I am completely new to linux and this forum, but fairly adept at OSX including using terminal. I am trying to install YDL 6.2 on a 1.25 GHz emac. I downloaded the isos from a mirror and burned onto CD.
The Install PPC32 command as recommended in the instructions fails. It freezes when it cannot find screen. The forums are filled with reports of this. The command Install-text PPC32 works and leaves me with a basic install with only a root account. I managed to useradd and passwd my way into a new account and visudo to allow this user to run sudo commands. However, I still couldn't run the GUI. startX would freeze. I followed these instructions from a guy installing ubuntu http://crowetech.wordpress.com/2007/04/ ... tallation/ and finally got startx to work and used the GUI environment. However, my airport extreme card wasn't working. I followed these instructions: http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... reme.shtml but still no go.

I also notice that the correct devices are not found in the network device manager, but I cannot seem to correct this. Can anyone help?

Mike
mburman
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: EMAC installation - not easy: noobie questions

Postby biznart » 17 Oct 2009, 21:03

Not sure if you've found a solution to the Airport Extreme issue yet, but I'm all ears if you have. I'm in a similar situation.

I had YDL on my PS3 a year or so ago but eventually killed it. Someone gave me an old emac that sounds similar to yours. I had previously installed Debian based on a guide I found, and luckily, it included workarounds for the display issues. I knew to apply those going forward with this, but I never found a fix for the Airport card.

Enlightenment and Gnome both operate pretty slowly/unstable for me. Are you still working on your machine/setup, and if so, have you found any improvements, fixes, etc.?
biznart
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation