Need Help Cant get OS Installer to Read

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Need Help Cant get OS Installer to Read

Postby xxvcrocopvxx » 23 Aug 2009, 12:09

ive tried numerous ways from a sd card to a dvd-r to a thumb drive i used just like specified on numerous sites /PS3/otheros/otheros.self
and /PS3/otheros/otheros.bld saved both files on the storage devices mentioned below tried all of them ps3 still replies no applicable installer was found. i am lost and dont know where to look anymore.. ps downloaded and burned ISO ydl 5.0 pheonix 3.32 gbs but havent really done anything with it since i cant boot the os installer your help would be greatly appriciated
xxvcrocopvxx
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Need Help Cant get OS Installer to Read

Postby billb » 23 Aug 2009, 15:09

There's a great deal of outdated information out there. :wink:

otheros.self has not been required since PS3 firmware err... a long time ago. And most of us are using YDL 6.1 or 6.2 by now. So first, I'd say start with the official install guide for YDL 6, and delete the YDL 5 iso you downloaded. These days the bootloader (otheros.bld) is included on the YDL install DVD.

Official install guides:
http://us.fixstars.com/support/installation/

Readme post in our PS3 forum here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2274

YDL 6.2 is the latest release.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby xxvcrocopvxx » 24 Aug 2009, 07:28

i did what you had said i downloaded ydl 6.1 burned it with active@ISO burner software but for some reason my install other OS still shows up no applicable installer was found... i have a question if i do a full restore of my ps3 will it have it installed on it i bought my ps3 almost 2 yrs ago i dont understand why the kboot wont run.. even with the new ydl 6.1 that i downloaded and burned to a DVD for some reason it still tells me no applicable installer was found???? :roll:
xxvcrocopvxx
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 24 Aug 2009, 10:43

xxvcrocopvxx wrote:i did what you had said i downloaded ydl 6.1 burned it with active@ISO burner software but for some reason my install other OS still shows up no applicable installer was found... i have a question if i do a full restore of my ps3 will it have it installed on it i bought my ps3 almost 2 yrs ago i dont understand why the kboot wont run.. even with the new ydl 6.1 that i downloaded and burned to a DVD for some reason it still tells me no applicable installer was found???? :roll:

Did you SHA1SUM verify your ISO download?

That's the very first thing we need you to do to troubleshoot.

You should be able to find a SHA1SUM HOWTO on the mirror you downloaded the ISO from. (Unless you used softpedia - all bets are off with that version.)

To be honest - if Install Other OS comes up blank - that generally happens when folks burn the ISO to a disc, rather than creating the disc from the ISO.

We generally recommend a program called IMGBURN and using the Write Image File To Disc option.

Also - I'm not sure what you're asking about the full restore. Assuming you used the GameOS XMB Backup utility, a restore operation will put all the data back on your PS3 - except for Linux. All your movies, games, videos, photos, audio files, saves, etc. will be restored. Linux backups have to be done from Linux - a regular PS3 backup only backs-up the GameOS.

You may have to re-sync your trophies - I'm not sure how they're handled, since I haven't backed-up and restored since trophies were introduced.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby xxvcrocopvxx » 24 Aug 2009, 15:24

Paul fantastic i downloaded img burn burned it the way you had said formated my hdd and in read it perfectly... now im having a completely different problem as far as loading the actual linux im stuck in kboot and install_ps3_1080p dosent work tells me uanble to access , i tried all lower resolutions but still the same problem shows want= then numbers and limit=like 1000 less.... ;( looked everywhere online but cant seem to find a solution i read a few other posts you responded to i even burned the disc with slower speed and verified them they check out good but still pops up same thing
xxvcrocopvxx
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 24 Aug 2009, 17:04

xxvcrocopvxx wrote:Paul fantastic i downloaded img burn burned it the way you had said formated my hdd and in read it perfectly... now im having a completely different problem as far as loading the actual linux im stuck in kboot and install_ps3_1080p dosent work tells me uanble to access , i tried all lower resolutions but still the same problem shows want= then numbers and limit=like 1000 less.... ;( looked everywhere online but cant seem to find a solution i read a few other posts you responded to i even burned the disc with slower speed and verified them they check out good but still pops up same thing

Okay - let's go thru this one by one. It sounds like you've done these steps, but let's be logical about this.

1. Verify ISO download with SHA1SUM. The numbers must match exactly.
2. Use IMGBURN to create YDL Install disc from the ISO - preferrably to DVD-R or DVD+R media
3. Format and partition PS3 disc, allocating 10 gig to OtherOS (or 10 gig to GameOS).
4. Install the bootloader from the YDL Install disc with Install Other OS
5. With the YDL disc in the drive, Set Default OS to OtherOS and reboot.
6. At the kboot: prompt, use the TAB key to select install_ps3_1080p

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby INEEDHELP » 18 Sep 2009, 02:35

ok well I have a kboot problem like most people do and i tried looking at some forums and youtube but nothing works i used a flashdrive and its linux 6.2 i tried typing in numerous things and everything youre normally supposed to but nothing works "not found" and i cant figure out how to uninstall when i turn off my Ps3 it just takes me back to the kboot command entry
INEEDHELP
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 18 Sep 2009, 02:46

INEEDHELP wrote:ok well I have a kboot problem like most people do and i tried looking at some forums and youtube but nothing works i used a flashdrive and its linux 6.2 i tried typing in numerous things and everything youre normally supposed to but nothing works "not found" and i cant figure out how to uninstall when i turn off my Ps3 it just takes me back to the kboot command entry

It's best if you break up your sentence into separate questions. It's really hard to answer what you've posted, since there's no clear breaks between your questions.

Nevertheless, I shall try to answer your questions. Here's my guess as to what you're asking:

1. Flashdrive. That probably won't work. The normal way of installing YDL 6.2 is from a DVD created from an ISO you download. Unless - did you purchase the Flash drive directly from Fixstars? They do have a bootable 6.2 Flash drive you can buy. Other Flashdrive methods to install 6.2 are not officially supported - we'll need a reference to the install procedure you used to see what you've done so that we can help you.

Or - did you mean you completed the "Install Other OS" step, by loading otheros.bld from your Flashdrive? If so, you still haven't installed Linux - see below.

I really need some clarification on what you did here - I can't precisely figure it out from your statement.

2. Not found. Generally, this results from just putting an ISO on your disc, instead of creating a disc from the ISO. Which did you do? (And, remember, the ISO is only used to create a DVD, not a Flash drive.) Did you burn a 6.2 DVD? Did you verify your ISO download with SHA1SUM?

3. Uninstall. At this point, you haven't installed Linux. If you completed the "Install Other OS" step successfully, what you've done is put the bootloader on your PS3 - nothing more. This bootloader is called otheros.bld. This is not Linux - just the bootloader that lets you start Linux.

4. Back to GameOS. The PS3 bootloader works like this: You either boot GameOS or you boot OtherOS. You have to tell the PS3 to switch the boot. If you're continually booting OtherOS, you can get back to GameOS a number of ways. The two easiest are: a) Typing "game" (without the quotes) at the kboot: prompt, and hitting the Enter key. b) Using the soft power switch to reset your firmware to factory defaults. You do this by holding down the soft power switch on the front of your PS3 until you hear a second beep. Generally, this second beep occurs about 5 seconds after the first power-on beep. At this point, your PS3 will revert to factory defaults, including video output and GameOS load.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby inanay » 11 Nov 2009, 17:12

Hallo
I cant find in my systemsetings> otheros and allow 10 MG for other
Thank you
inanay
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 11 Nov 2009, 19:10

inanay wrote:I cant find in my systemsetings> otheros and allow 10 MG for other

The "otheros" option is not available for newer PS3's (the PS3 Slim AKA CECH-2000 series).

Also, the option to give 10GB to the OtherOS only shows up when you're formatting the drive, and the only way to change it is to format the drive -- so back up anything important before doing that! :mrgreen:
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation