How do I edit the file /etc/inittab???

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

How do I edit the file /etc/inittab???

Postby I_AM_EVIL » 24 Aug 2009, 07:11

OK so I'm going through the help file here and it shows me how to turn the 6.1 YDL to "Graphical Mode after Text Based Install"
not sure how to edit the file.

step three "Type Xautoconfig and press [ENTER]. It will create the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and set it up with the parameters necessary to run a graphical system."

Ok did that and it showed "Wrote /etc/X11/xorg.conf"
So far so good, but here lies my problem in the next step.

Step Four

"Edit the file /etc/inittab. Look for the line that reads:

id:3:initdefault:

... and change it to:

id:5:initdefault:"

Now my problem is that I have no idea how to edit it. I cant wait till years from now when I can look back and laugh about how noobish I was, but untill then I have no idea what or how to do it. Thanks for your time and help in this matter.
Also I am doing the text based install cause I did the 480i install due to the fact I have a SD TV
I_AM_EVIL
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: How do I edit the file /etc/inittab???

Postby I_AM_EVIL » 24 Aug 2009, 07:46

Found my answer here http://forums.ps3bodega.com/ hope it may help someone who may of had same problem. Hope I can post that site too, don't want to get into trouble.
I_AM_EVIL
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: How do I edit the file /etc/inittab???

Postby ppietro » 24 Aug 2009, 10:52

I_AM_EVIL wrote:Found my answer here http://forums.ps3bodega.com/ hope it may help someone who may of had same problem. Hope I can post that site too, don't want to get into trouble.

Considering that my fellow YDL site admin billb runs ps3bodega, you may take that as a "Yes - you may post that site here." :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation