YDL 4 RC2 graphic issue on PowerBook 17"

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

YDL 4 RC2 graphic issue on PowerBook 17"

Postby guilli » 23 Aug 2004, 08:33

I have a PowerBook 17" - 2003 which is reported to be compatible with YDL 4, so I wanted to give a try to the new version, since YDL 3 did not work. I'w downloaded yesterday the 4 ISO and tried to install the system this morning. Suprisingly, when the graphical install begin, Anaconda recognizes my ATI 9000 but can't see a clean image on the screen. Everything is unreadble. Video is not displayed correctly.
Any idea how to work around this?

Thanks.

JG
guilli
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: YDL 4 RC2 graphic issue on PowerBook 17"

Postby guest » 23 Aug 2004, 21:58

guilli wrote:Everything is unreadble. Video is not displayed correctly.
Any idea how to work around this?

PowerBook 17" 1.0-1.5GHz G4, 2003-current

ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 with 64MB DDR
Maximum number of colors: millions (24-bit)
2D acceleration: yes
3D acceleration: maybe
Dual head: maybe
Notes: 1280x854
this can from the yellow dog linux site http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/h ... w_cat_id=4

i think the 1280x854 screen resolution may be your problem.... the native resolution for a 17" is 1440 x 900 that may be why it seems unreadable... as far as a work around i have yet one question... how well do you like xFree86??

Problem in Anaconda

Postby guilli » 23 Aug 2004, 22:41

Well, thanks for the post. I knew the specs for the Powerbook but I thought there was a problem in Anaconda installer, since if I install in text mode I'm able later to adjust the resoultion, and it works perfectly. The guys at Terra Solutions are working on this issue right now, as I've got confirmation of this from them. Anyway, once displayed correctly the video works perfectly and YDL 4 is really good. Rock solid and beautifully designed on the graphic side.

JG
guilli
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation