6.2 Install Issue - Cannot find ramdisk.images.gz

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

6.2 Install Issue - Cannot find ramdisk.images.gz

Postby mudgewah » 09 Oct 2009, 20:01

Howdy y'all. I've spent a few days on this and I give up. I formatted a 10gb slot for YDL (6.2 and 6.1 give the same result). Install, etc. I get the following when I start the "other os".

ps3av_do_pkt: ps3av_send_cmd_pkt() failed (result=-11)
ps3av_do_pkt: failed code:10003 res:-11
udhcpc (v1.3.2) started
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
don't understand action "leasefail"
No lease, failing
route: resolving
kboot:

The discover stuff I wasn't too worried about (DHCP right?) but those ps3av_... are throwing out at a C function somewhere (googling gets a lot of code..)

Now. I have checked the ISO, I've burned it three times. The SHA1 is perfect. So: whenever I type install_ps3_<anything> I get the same messages:

get memory ranges: 1
cannot open '/mnt/root/ppc/ppc64/ramdisk.image.gz': No such file or directory.
get memory ranges: 1
cannot open '/mnt/root/ppc/ppc64/ramdisk.image.gz': No such file or directory.
killed.
kboot:

I admit, in 6.1, I get something about Elf that I'm not familiar with - about a string not being null terminated. It's been a while since I was coding on UNIX, but this is ringing bells.

Some other stuff I tried. I first noticed that on disc the file is called ramdiskimage.gz, but after some fiddling, I worked out that's okay. It seems to be related the /mnt/root/... because that path doesn't seem to quite work. But: I tried running the vmlinux with appropriate path, and I did manage to wrangle it into the installed, but it wouldn't recognise the DVD. In fact, when I select "CDROM" from the installer, it just spits out the DVD. Weird.

Anyway, that was 6.1, and I can't get back in there again, so I'm back to being stuck with kboot:. I did trying to install petitboot 0.2, but that didn't seem to get me anywhere, the PS3 Game OS claims it was a corrupted file. (Checked and rechecked that too).

As to the details:
It was an 80gb PS3 (I slipped a 120gb ex-MacBook HDD in a while ago), with a cheap-o £5.99 USB keyboard and MS Optical Mouse. The DVD was burned on a MacBook 13" White/late 2007. TV is a Samsung 36" HD Ready 720 something or other.

I have tried with both HDMI and component cable, so I can rule that out. I have also tried to reformat and so on.

I give up. What the hell is wrong with this mother??? There is several beers in it for anyone who can help and happens to be in my geographical area. Kudos to anyone else!

Many thanks!

mudgewah
mudgewah
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: 6.2 Install Issue - Cannot find ramdisk.images.gz

Postby ppietro » 10 Oct 2009, 00:46

Before we start troubleshooting your issue in depth, let's go over the install steps one by one to make sure we're on the same page.

This is what you should be doing. (I'm skipping the drive formatting step, since you've already partitioned your drive for 10 gig for OtherOS):

1. Download yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso
(A good spot is here: http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/yellowdo ... 090629.iso )

2. Run SHA1SUM on your downloaded ISO. Verify the checksum matches the number in this file:
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/SHA1SUM

3. Burn your ISO to a DVD. You want the "create disc from ISO" option. You do not want to burn the ISO straight to the disc. (i.e. the DVD has one file, which is the ISO). If you have access to a Windows box, use the program IMGBURN with the "Write image file to disc" option. I would suggest 1x burn speeds just to be safe.

4. From your PS3 XMB's Settings --> System Settings menu, select Install Other OS, and install the otheros.bld from the DVD:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... stall.html

5. Leaving the DVD in the drive, reboot the PS3, using the Settings --> System Settings --> Default System menu and select Other OS.

6. After the system reboots in OtherOS, use the TAB key to select one of the PS3 boot options, as appropriate for your monitor (i.e. install_ps3_720p)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mudgewah » 10 Oct 2009, 11:29

Yeah, that's correct. I have done all of the above. It's the install_ps3_720i that gets me into trouble.

It's weird, I can run the vmlinux with a relative path mnt/root/ppc/ppc64vmlinux initrd.. but the .conf file gives it the absolute path of /mnt/root/... which is where everything seems to go wrong.

Thanks,

mudgewah
mudgewah
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 10 Oct 2009, 12:29

If at kboot, with the install DVD in the drive, you press TAB and nothing happens -- it doesn't cycle through the install options -- it sounds like a problem with the install DVD or your PS3 not reading it for some reason. Any way you could try burning the DVD from a different machine, or another drive on the same machine, and/or using different media (DVD-R, preferably)?
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mudgewah » 10 Oct 2009, 14:03

Yeah, if I tab, I get all the options, then the error I posted at the top.

I've drilled down into the directories and looked at various conf files etc, and everything looks okay. I'm using DVD+R, can maybe get some other media, but burning the ISO on a different machine is going to be an issue.

The fact that I managed to eek the installer into life once implies to me there is something more subtle going on.

Thanks again,

mudgewah
mudgewah
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 10 Oct 2009, 18:04

Is there some sort of "verify burned data" option in the software you use to burn the DVD on your Macbook?
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mudgewah » 10 Oct 2009, 20:02

Macs verify the disc at the end of the burn. I've tried it three different times with two different distributions, but I get exactly the same error on all the discs, which would seem unlikely for a disc error... I'm beginning to contemplate putting the original 80gb disc back in place, this seems pointless, but I'm thinking the PS3 should be okay, and that would be the only major thing I've changed.

Cheers,
mudgewah
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 11 Oct 2009, 19:51

mudgewah wrote:Macs verify the disc at the end of the burn. I've tried it three different times with two different distributions, but I get exactly the same error on all the discs, which would seem unlikely for a disc error... I'm beginning to contemplate putting the original 80gb disc back in place, this seems pointless, but I'm thinking the PS3 should be okay, and that would be the only major thing I've changed.

I have two thoughts.

1. Can you try burning the ISO on a Windows box? We've had reports of some issues with the Mac ISO burner.

2. Do you have any other USB devices plugged in? Like an external hard drive, microphone, usb hub, etc.? I would try it with everything disconnected except the USB keyboard and mouse - and try those plugged in directly - not through a USB hub.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mudgewah » 11 Oct 2009, 20:51

Okay: USB: I have a keyboard, I stopped even attaching the mouse after the first 5 or 6 six frustrating attempts. I tried a few things with a USB pen drive, but that didn't get me anywhere, and I've not been plugging it in. No hub. Nadda. So just the keyboard and mouse.

Burning the ISO from a windows machine may be tricky, because the windows machine I have is running virtually on my Mac! I'm going to ask around and see if I can get someone to run a burn it for me and try that. What were the issues with a Mac, I'm a little surprised I get identical issues with different distributions? But hey - I'll try anything at this point.

Cheers,

Michael
mudgewah
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 12 Oct 2009, 00:27

mudgewah wrote:Burning the ISO from a windows machine may be tricky, because the windows machine I have is running virtually on my Mac! I'm going to ask around and see if I can get someone to run a burn it for me and try that. What were the issues with a Mac, I'm a little surprised I get identical issues with different distributions? But hey - I'll try anything at this point.

I never could quite put my finger on the issue. But - we've had threads like this come up from time to time, and it's usually someone burning discs from Macs.

It's something like the boot sectors aren't written out correctly. But - since I don't have a Mac, I can't say for sure.

Here's an example article. Yeah - I know this is to a powerbook, and you're installing on a PS3, but the symptoms are similar:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6714&start=0

So - to clarify:

You're burning your ISOs on your Mac via this method:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php? ... 9181010389
and
http://lifehacker.com/251758/mac-tip--h ... le-to-disc

Mounting the ISO and burning them to a disc won't work - it will skip the Linux boot sectors. (I'm not saying you're doing this - just trying to be thorough. :D)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mudgewah » 12 Oct 2009, 23:59

Interesting.

Well, it seems that was it. Burning an ISO from a MacBook with the normal 'right click' Burn to Disc is not so shiney. I managed to, erm, work my way round security and burn this on my Windows machine in the office. I will say it worked immediately. But, I will the caveat that I still get this:

ps3av_do_pkt: ps3av_send_cmd_pkt() failed (result=-11)

Either way, works a charm. Much pleased. Thanks for all your help folks. Is it worth sticking a note in the FAQ that MacBooks and burning the image is not so shiney? Please don't tell me it's already there, or I'll feel a right div.

Many thanks!

Michael
mudgewah
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 13 Oct 2009, 01:43

mudgewah wrote:ps3av_do_pkt: ps3av_send_cmd_pkt() failed (result=-11)

Not sure of the cause of that, but I get the same error on both my PS3s.

Anyway, glad to hear you got it worked out. :D Yes I agree we need some proper instructions/notes for burning the DVD on Macs, but unfortunately I don't have any to use at the moment.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mudgewah » 13 Oct 2009, 08:11

Well, I'm replying to this on my YDL powered PS3, so it's clearly all okay. As a thanks, let me see if I can get something like some MacBook burn instructions together for you guys. I'll try out some different ways of creating the disc and see if I can run it, or try and look at some free utilities to do the same. Seems only fair...

Cheers muchly

Michael
mudgewah
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby foolishfreeheel » 06 Feb 2010, 06:00

how you burn the iso to a DVD is a huge deal!!! make sure you burn via the Disk Utility Tool

Thanks!!
foolishfreeheel
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation