Broken Blu-Ray Install YDL 6.2 Standard TV install_ps3_480i

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Broken Blu-Ray Install YDL 6.2 Standard TV install_ps3_480i

Postby Venom187 » 19 Dec 2009, 10:44

1 .Copy contents of YDL 6.2 DVD to a fat32 formatted USB Stick (you don't need yellowdog folder or ps3 folder as long as you have internet connection to ps3)

2. Use petitboot for bootloader (otheros.bld goes in /ps3/otheros/ dir)(petitboot more user friendly then kboot)
Bootloader Download
ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/Sony-PS3/ps3-linux-archives/ps3-petitboot.old/ps3-petitboot-rc-08.06.27.bld

3. Prepare your ps3 and install other os from usb stick

4. Select install_ps3_480i from the usb stick when the bootloader comes up.

5. I used a http install and pointed to http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/releases/yellowdog-6.2/os/ for the install.

6. Log in as root and make a account for your daily use (password is the one you setup on install so login root and password you defined)
useradd namehere
passwd namehere

7. Type exit

8.Login your new account

9.Type startx

*If install gives you problems you can setup a http server on local pc and host the dvd from there. I completed a normal install by pointing to my windows http server (Abyss web server)*
*Useing a standard TV with the 480i will limit your desktop to 576x384 resolution. Not much to work with*
*Info about increasing your screen resolution with sdtv http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4283*
If anyone knows of a way to fix this issue please post
Last edited by Venom187 on 26 Dec 2009, 14:29, edited 28 times in total.
Venom187
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Broken Blu-Ray Install YDL 6.2

Postby juanito » 19 Dec 2009, 11:44

The ydl-6.2 release notes stated that it could be installed from usb...
ps3 60gb, cechc04, fw-3.15, ydl-6.2/cblfs multi-lib dual boot
dell 2009w monitor, logitech mediaboard (usb)
juanito
ydl guru
ydl guru

Re: Broken Blu-Ray Install YDL 6.2 Standard TV install_ps3_480i

Postby Donate2Boinc » 19 Jan 2010, 17:30

Hello!

I have four PS3 40gb: two with working bd/dvd/cd drives, and two without.

I burned the YDL 6.2 iso, followed the install guide, and was able to properly install YDL 6.2 on the two PS3's with working bd/dvd/cd drives.

I copied the contents of the dvd over to a 4gb usb flash drive, and attempted to install on the two PS3's with broken bd/dvd/cd drives.

Again, followed the install guide.

Got as far as the kboot prompt.

Unable to "tab" (to get to install PS3 720p) at all.

Cursor just sits at kboot prompt.

Typing "install", "anaconda", or "install_ps3_720p" all have no effect.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanx in advance...
Donate2Boinc
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Broken Blu-Ray Install YDL 6.2

Postby ppietro » 19 Jan 2010, 20:06

juanito wrote:The ydl-6.2 release notes stated that it could be installed from usb...

Yes - but IIRC, you had to have YDL's special USB distribution. (Remember - they used to sell a USB thumbdrive with a special YDL on it?) To the best of my knowledge, the standard DVD image can't be installed from USB as is. You have to use something like the method outlined above.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Donate2Boinc » 20 Jan 2010, 15:39

Dang!

Life really would have been easier if I could have either purchased YDL's special USB distribution (I assume there is no place I can currently purchase it?) or if it would have been possible to somwhow install by copying the DVD files to a USB.

With dead bd/dvd/cd drives, I guess the only remaining option is, as you suggested, to either do an "online" install, or set up a http server on a local pc.

If anyone has ideas (eBay?) on where I might be able to dig up a YDL 6.2 special USB distribution, would be greatly appreciated. If anyone here has an extra one for sale, please PM me.
Donate2Boinc
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Venom187 » 27 Jan 2010, 07:11

you can do a usb/web install. I have found pdaxrom bootloader to be much easier then kboot bootloader and petite http://wiki.pdaxrom.org/index.php/Bootloader_for_PS3

Freeware windows web server http://download.cnet.com/Abyss-Web-Server-X1/3000-10248_4-10079200.html

You will need a web server hosting on a pc or ps3 on local network or you can try pointing at a off site web server for install files (Local pc or ps3 fastest)

A option since you said you installed on two ps3 with a working blu ray you could use one of them and setup a web server to host your files for your broken blu ray units.

If you need some help with it pm me and let me know i'm going to be doing this all over again on my 40gb system myself, also broken blu ray.
Venom187
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Venom187 » 27 Jan 2010, 07:33

Donate2Boinc wrote:Hello!

I have four PS3 40gb: two with working bd/dvd/cd drives, and two without.

I burned the YDL 6.2 iso, followed the install guide, and was able to properly install YDL 6.2 on the two PS3's with working bd/dvd/cd drives.

I copied the contents of the dvd over to a 4gb usb flash drive, and attempted to install on the two PS3's with broken bd/dvd/cd drives.

Again, followed the install guide.

Got as far as the kboot prompt.

Unable to "tab" (to get to install PS3 720p) at all.

Cursor just sits at kboot prompt.

Thanx in advance...

guide calls for petite bootloader not kboot. Kboot is the standard bootloader for linux on the ps3 petite and pdaxrom gives you a graphical interface so you can launch the linux install process with ease. Making it more user friendly, since you do not have to deal with command lines.
Venom187
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby chonsin » 06 Feb 2010, 08:37

im gonna give this a shot and i'll post results soon

i have an 80g ps3 with no working blu-ray drive and im trying to install with an hdtv
chonsin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby chonsin » 06 Feb 2010, 23:40

i have the iso file but no physical dvd

can i extract the files to the usb? or somehow burn the iso image to usb?

any help would be deeply appreciated

thanks in advance
chonsin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby paco2099 » 26 Apr 2010, 09:55

I was wondering, can some one please give me a play by play on how to install via usb flash drive?

I am having some issues. Yes I have an 8 gb flashdrive. yes it is formatted FAT32, I have installed petitboot. For some reason I can not extra the ydl6.2 iso files on to my usb flash drive, then when I try to copy what I can of the iso, and I go into the other os on my ps3 I get no declaration of my usb even being there. only thing I see is a gray screen with a penguin with a box saying boot back to game os. at the bottom it says ask for 1-4 for resolution. I set mine at 2= 720p then if I hit the ins key nothing happens? I can hit F2 and reach a command prompt that doesn't understand much. I can type wget http://ydl.oregonstate/releases/yellowdog-6.2/os/, but that is all it won't do anything else. How do I http install?

I would much appreciate it, as I bet a lot of others that will be looking this way will be thankful to get this kind of information.

I am a newbie at linux, so please be so kind as to help this newbie out?
paco2099
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby blitzmagoo » 01 May 2010, 22:38

what a rip off

the original how to- viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5229

obviously venom187 hadn't even attempted this, there is a reason not to use petitebootloader.

i feel ripped off
blitzmagoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby paddy_dev » 05 May 2010, 13:04

Will give it a go later. I might give a go at clarrifying this howto with video footage.
paddy_dev
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Venom187 » 19 Jul 2010, 07:39

blitzmagoo wrote:what a rip off

<span>the original how to- <a href="http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5229" class="smarterwiki-linkify">http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5229</a></span>

obviously venom187 hadn't even attempted this, there is a reason not to use petitebootloader.

i feel ripped off

Note your guide is for yellow dog 6.1 with for 1080p.This is a guide for 480i/text install for YDL 6.2. And your right i didn't try your guide never knew it existed so i made my own.
Venom187
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Venom187 » 30 Sep 2010, 03:31

The reason for petite or pdaxrom for bootloader is graphical interface to assist not linux savy users. It allows for simple selection of install type for ydl. In my experience kboot was useless since it would not respond to the install commands. *still unsure why*. Guide calls for Petite bootloader *very sufficient* it can be replaced with pdaxrom *also very sufficient*. I still recommend running your own web server to host files for linux install via Abyss web server *or your own web server software*. Why do this? Speed transfer over your local network will be far greater then pulling from a crowded ftp server and or web server from a remote location *common sense*. Saves time and frustration from corrupt files during install. Remember this is only a guide to help assist in the installation process. If someone feels they need to elaborate more on this process by all means take any info you find here and make it good. I'm not on here for reconition just for help on the subject. none of the guides i had read were really complete when i was working on this. Most of what i learned was trial and error. Due to sony killing the option for a differnt os on thier systems and the fact that the two units i was working from are now dead soldiers.
Due to heating issues and poor solder used. I don't have a unit to go through the processes anymore. Fell free to take info from the guide if you need to build a better guide to help people through installation of linux on their systems.

*I did not create anything other then this guide* *Special thanks to the people that built the software to make this all possible*

still waiting to hear a reason not to use petite btw blitz
Venom187
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby blitzmagoo » 02 Oct 2010, 01:06

"you can do a usb/web install. I have found pdaxrom bootloader to be much easier then kboot bootloader and petite"

you said it yourself, easier as in no command line at all (for linux noobs), i tried for days using kboot and petite, they didn't seem to like fat32 all that much in the early stages of installing (ps3 requires fat32, just keeping it simple)

"I go into the other os on my ps3 I get no declaration of my usb even being there." to quote another user using petiteboot

basically the day 6.2 came out i updated my thread, install was no different.

im a jerk, sue me

both guides are equally valid, if i helped 1 person, it was all worth it
blitzmagoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation