I need help with step 4. Which is Partition Drive Options

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

I need help with step 4. Which is Partition Drive Options

Postby breedee777 » 06 Jan 2010, 12:15

Partitioning a drive creates logical (as compared to physical) sections on your drive, each serving the purpose of organizing and protecting data. You may either allow the Installer to create the partitions for you by selecting Automatic Partitioning, or conduct this effort manually via Disk Druid.

1.You may choose from one of following schemes:
●Remove all partitions: on a PS3 (as compared to a Mac) this will produce the same result as "Remove all Linux partitions" (above) as the GameOS cannot be affected by the Linux installer.
●Remove all Linux partitions: this will delete and then replace only existing Linux partitions. Please note that if you have already installed Linux on your PS3, this procedure will DESTROY ALL EXISTING LINUX DATA. The GameOS and game data will not be harmed.
●Keep all partitions and use existing free space: if you have never installed Linux on your PS3, this will generate the same result as "Remove all partitions" (above).
●Custom: manually partition using Disk Druid. This is only recommended for advanced users.

When i get to this point in the installation, which option above do i pick? Im really confused when it gets to this part. Now i just got my ps3 a few days ago. And the only thing i have on it is my user profile which i made when i first powered the machine. I dont have anything i need to backup because i dont have anything on it. I have game saves and thats about it. And i dont care about saving or backing up them. I dont have any photos, music, or anything else. I dont care about my trophies either. I can get them back. So once again my question is when i get to the partition drive screen, which option do i pick in my situation that i just explained above? O...im sorry i am using YDL Version 6.2 by the way...Thanks
breedee777
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: I need help with step 4. Which is Partition Drive Options

Postby billb » 06 Jan 2010, 13:17

breedee777 wrote:●Remove all partitions: on a PS3 (as compared to a Mac) this will produce the same result as "Remove all Linux partitions" (above) as the GameOS cannot be affected by the Linux installer.

This one -- as mentioned above, it is not possible for the GameOS (the XMB, games, game saves, etc) to be affected by the installer. However, it is important that you don't have any USB drives or memory cards plugged in at this point so you don't accidentally format one of them and/or install YDL to them.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I need help with step 4. Which is Partition Drive Options

Postby breedee777 » 06 Jan 2010, 13:31

Gee....Thanks billb, I appreciate it...This helps a lot...
breedee777
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation