Strange Problem Installing

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Strange Problem Installing

Postby broken4thwall » 16 Jan 2010, 05:16

I haven't problems installing with previous issues, however, installing with 6.2 I've been having this one issue. I've redownloaded the .iso from many different sites, using different dvds, and burning at different speeds but the problem remains. By the time I'm up to the installation process, and before it starts installing I get this error. It says something about the file "xorg-x11-server-common-1.4.99.901-30.20080415.ppc.rpm" not being opened due to it being missing or corrupt.
broken4thwall
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Strange Problem Installing

Postby ppietro » 16 Jan 2010, 08:17

broken4thwall wrote:I haven't problems installing with previous issues, however, installing with 6.2 I've been having this one issue. I've redownloaded the .iso from many different sites, using different dvds, and burning at different speeds but the problem remains. By the time I'm up to the installation process, and before it starts installing I get this error. It says something about the file "xorg-x11-server-common-1.4.99.901-30.20080415.ppc.rpm" not being opened due to it being missing or corrupt.

You don't mention it in your post, so I'll go ahead and ask. Have you run a SHA1SUM verify on the ISO you've downloaded?

Until you do, we really can't help you - that's the very first thing we must check.

A quick HowTo guide is here:
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/SHA1SUM-HOWTO

The SHA1SUM value you need to compare is in this file:
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/SHA1SUM

The only way we can be sure that you have a good download is via SHA1SUM. It doesn't matter if you download it from many different sites - you may be getting the same truncation from each site due to other network issues. And - incomplete ISOs will burn discs - there's no in-built checksum feature for ISO. That's why the SHA1SUM is important - it's the only way we can tell that what you've downloaded matches what was originally uploaded.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby broken4thwall » 16 Jan 2010, 17:45

I'm in vista and it won't let me drag and drop the .exe into the cmd.
broken4thwall
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 16 Jan 2010, 19:03

broken4thwall wrote:I'm in vista and it won't let me drag and drop the .exe into the cmd.

You will have to type the commands manually, I'm afraid.

IIRC, in Vista, your desktop is under C:\Users\[your login name]\Desktop

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby broken4thwall » 16 Jan 2010, 22:16

I downloaded a new image. It matched the number, and I just burnt the image. Now to see if it works.
broken4thwall
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby broken4thwall » 16 Jan 2010, 22:35

Yes, it has that same SHA1SUM number, and yet gave me a similar error. This time it said that mailcap-2.1.23-1.noarch.rpm is missing or corrupt.

I am using the dvd on a 1st gen, 60 gb Phat PS3. I am using infraburner, and burning on the slowest speed. I think I've gone through about 4 or 5 dvds, 4 of the 6.2 images, and two different burning software. I've never had a problem with the software or hardware I was using before to burn discs, and have used yellowdog linux 6.1, ubuntu 9.10, and xubuntu 9.10 on discs and installed them on my Phat PS3.
broken4thwall
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 17 Jan 2010, 06:53

broken4thwall wrote:Yes, it has that same SHA1SUM number, and yet gave me a similar error. This time it said that mailcap-2.1.23-1.noarch.rpm is missing or corrupt.

I am using the dvd on a 1st gen, 60 gb Phat PS3. I am using infraburner, and burning on the slowest speed. I think I've gone through about 4 or 5 dvds, 4 of the 6.2 images, and two different burning software. I've never had a problem with the software or hardware I was using before to burn discs, and have used yellowdog linux 6.1, ubuntu 9.10, and xubuntu 9.10 on discs and installed them on my Phat PS3.

If the SHA1SUM is good, then you're definitely having issues with the burn, one way or another.

I'm not familiar with infraburner - so I can't advise there. When folks are having issues like this, we generally recommend a free program for Windows called IMGBURN - most members of our forums report success with it. We also suggest burning at 1x - which it sounds like you're doing.

IMGBURN does have a "verify after burn" option that might come in handy. I think it will also tell you the SHA1SUM of the burned disc - this way you can verify that not only the ISO you downloaded matches the ISO, but the resultant disc does as well. Others in these forums have more experience with IMGBURN than I - hopefully one of them will chime in here if there is anything about IMGBURN I've missed. :D

More about IMGBURN is here:
http://www.imgburn.com/

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation