Need assistance with my 6.2 install

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Need assistance with my 6.2 install

Postby dankl » 17 Feb 2010, 01:47

Hello,
Recently installed ydl 6.2 on my PS3, 60GB (CECHA01) connected through HDMI to my Samsung 1080p TV. I had it up and running, however experienced the problems I've read about with a blurred and virtually unreadable screen. I decided to start fresh and reinstall using just the RCA hookups and choosing the 480 mode during kboot initial install. Worked great for being able to read what was on the screen, however, it seems to be going through a completely different install than compared to when I booted up in 1080p. Anyways, I get through the entire install and go for my initial start up and it is now asking for a log in and a password. But I never created a login and password during install, only a password.

The top reads

Yellow Dog Linux release 6.2 (Pyxis)
Kernel 2.6.29-9.yd161.3 on an ppc64

localhost login: _

Type something then it shows

locahost login: random
Password: _

I even tried to reinstall to see if I just perhaps missed/forgot creating a login and password, but still clueless. Help please?

Thanks
dankl
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Need assistance with my 6.2 install

Postby ppietro » 17 Feb 2010, 05:33

dankl wrote:I decided to start fresh and reinstall using just the RCA hookups and choosing the 480 mode during kboot initial install. Worked great for being able to read what was on the screen, however, it seems to be going through a completely different install than compared to when I booted up in 1080p.

The graphical install actually has two parts. During the first part, you set up a root account - that's the master password for the system. Then, the system reboots, and the installation continues where you set up a normal user account.

The text install - which is the 480 mode install - only does the first part. You have to manually finish the installation by setting up the graphics and creating your standard user account.

The way you'll do this is with the password you entered during installation, and a login of "root".

So:

Code: Select all
localhost login: root
Password:  (your password)

There's a quick guide to setting up graphics here:
http://www.ydl.net/support/solutions/yd ... to-5.shtml

I don't think you need to do step 3 - but it probably can't hurt.

There's more on video here:
viewtopic.php?t=3524

Side note: Since you mention you're having the HDMI issue with your PS3 and your monitor, you should look into getting a component cable. If you haven't done much in YDL yet, it might be easier to get the component cable, and do a graphical installation, and avoid all of this.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lastorderfan » 21 Apr 2010, 11:37

:D Yellow Dog Linux v6.x :D

TOPIC: Switching to Graphical Mode after Text Based Install.

Switching to Graphical Mode after Text based Install

1. At the "localhost login" prompt, enter "root". Press [ENTER]

2. At the root password (this was set during installation) and press [ENTER]

3. Type Xautoconfig and press [ENTER]. It will create the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and set it up with the parameters necessary to run a graphical system.

4. Edit the file /etc/inittab. Look for the line that reads:

id:3:initdefault:

... and change it to:

id:5:initdefault:

5. Edit the file /etc/yaboot.conf and change the line that reads:

append="rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/1"

... to ...

append="video=ps3fb:mode:{YOUR VIDEO MODE} rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/1"

Refer to various video modes for more information on how to get particular videos and which you should use.

6. Reboot your system:

reboot [ENTER]

Your system will now start by default into a low resolutions graphical mode.

This HOWTO was written by Tim Renner, Terra Soft

this is what is on the ydl website. I myself got as far as far as step 3 where xorg.conf is created. then the instructions tend to assume I'm not a total noob at ydl linux and asks me to edit something: "Edit the file /etc/inittab." IT WOULD HELP VEEEERY MUCH IF WE HAD SOME WAY OF KNOWING WHAT TOOL OR WHERE OR HOW TO! :roll: Ladies and Gentlemen please break it down for us who aspire to know as much as you do as to how to accomplish this. links to other sites can help, but the ignorance of those who do know can be just as painful to first time linux noobs as it is for you to deal with a noob. thank you for your valuable time and patience.
lastorderfan
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 21 Apr 2010, 19:16

lastorderfan wrote:this is what is on the ydl website. I myself got as far as far as step 3 where xorg.conf is created. then the instructions tend to assume I'm not a total noob at ydl linux and asks me to edit something: "Edit the file /etc/inittab." IT WOULD HELP VEEEERY MUCH IF WE HAD SOME WAY OF KNOWING WHAT TOOL OR WHERE OR HOW TO! :roll:

Remember that there is no direct connection between ydl.net and yellowdog-board.com. We are a volunteer, community driven resource, and are not employees of Fixstars/YDL. They just provide the hosting space for us. We cannot edit their text, nor create new topics on their pages.

In other words - we aren't responsible for their text. They are. :D

That being said, there is a pretty nice text editor built into Linux called nano. You'll want to use the -w parameter to preserve file structure. i.e. nano -w

So - you can edit your file with this command from a terminal window:

nano -w /etc/inittab

and

nano -w /etc/yaboot.conf

We also have written our own guide to video modes that details nano usage, etc. You might find this helpful:

viewtopic.php?t=3524

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation