Booting on a Powermac G5

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Booting on a Powermac G5

Postby gomaaz » 25 Feb 2010, 20:10

Hi guys,

I've looked and looked and looked for a solution but didn't find anything.
So here is my new topic, sry

Here a video I have filmed with the story

First of all my configuration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvMjsfW204k

PPC G5 2.5 GHZ (Powermac 7,3)
WDC Harddrive 500 GB Empty no partitions set (S-ATA)
yellow dog linux 6.2 PPC DVD

so I have YDL installed. After successful installation it throws out the dvd and remember to restart (just as normal)
So after restart the blinking system folder appears says, there is no system folder!

In the FAQ I have read that it is a cause of jumper setup.
I have got 8-pins in my jumper port. Do I have to place a jumper?

I also tried 2 other S-ATAs with no luck...same problem

I hope you can help me and this helps....otherwise I have to give up ....sadly :(
I also tried 6.1
gomaaz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Booting on a Powermac G5

Postby ppietro » 25 Feb 2010, 21:25

gomaaz wrote:I've looked and looked and looked for a solution but didn't find anything.

so I have YDL installed. After successful installation it throws out the dvd and remember to restart (just as normal)
So after restart the blinking system folder appears says, there is no system folder!

First - although you've probably done this - I'd check here:
http://www.ydl.net/support/installation ... _guide.pdf

Are you trying to do a dual-boot (OS, YDL) or single-boot (YDL only) system? If YDL only, make sure you remove all partitions, and install the YDL bootloader "yaboot".

There's some G5 specific notes here:
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/suppo ... c-g5.shtml

NOTE: Sorry I can't be of more help. In full disclosure, I don't have a Mac - I'm one of the PS3 guys. I'd like one, though. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gomaaz » 25 Feb 2010, 22:00

at least I try a single boot. The YDL installer creates the necessary partitions by itself. Also installing the
bootloader. I don't know if I have to do something more than that Oo

do I have to install yaboot manually?
gomaaz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 26 Feb 2010, 02:51

gomaaz wrote:do I have to install yaboot manually?

You might have to - yes. It would be one of the last things in the graphical install, I think.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gomaaz » 26 Feb 2010, 12:12

Yes it is the last step of installation but it says, that the installation went successfully.
I also guess that yaboot has to be configured/installed manually.
So I have to figure out how to reach the drive-partition with Mac OS X to copy the files on.
Right now I can't do that. I can see the partitions in mac os x but have no access to it

I won't ask you how to do that ;) cause you are a PS3 user

I will give it a few more trys....
gomaaz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby aguilarojo » 01 Mar 2010, 05:19

gomaaz wrote:Hi guys,

I've looked and looked and looked for a solution but didn't find anything.

Here a video I have filmed with the story

First of all my configuration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvMjsfW204k

PPC G5 2.5 GHZ (Powermac 7,3)
WDC Harddrive 500 GB Empty no partitions set (S-ATA)
yellow dog linux 6.2 PPC DVD...

Hi Gomaaz!!

Here's what you don't have and need:

First the drive which is going to be the boot drive needs to be set as the master. On some drives you can set this up by setting the jumper pins according to different positions such as set 1 or 2, etc. Unfortunately, each manufacturer has different pin settings for their own drives and you will have to read carefully whatever notes exist on each drive to determine that. Also the manufacturer of the drive may have created a different recommended setting for a later or earlier drive they may have made. You could find information regarding these details from the manufacturer of those drives from the manufacturer's website but I'm not sure that would be useful if the drives are very old. I've always deciphered the pinning arrangements from the diagrams on the drives themselves. By the way, make sure that you have the original resistors which fit across the pins for each manufacturer's drive, they will be the only way to set which pins will be inactive (with the resistors on) and which will be active (the resistors off); it is this sequence of off/on which will allow that drive to implement the manufacturer's design as to whether that drive is a master or slave. Of course, the G5 (or any Mac) will recognize which is which but only the manufacturer's settings will tell the Mac what the drive is - a master or slave. This is a matter of the hardware determining how the software will behave.

I saw your video. You could set both drives as masters if your plan is to have one of them exclusively dedicated to OS X, and the other dedicated to YDL. However what you need to do that is the original Apple installation CD or DVD which came with the G5. There exists within that Apple Installation disc a tool called Disc Utility which will allow you to format both drives simultaneously preparing one for OS X and the other for YDL.

In the case that you want to use both drives for YDL then one drive should be a master and the other a slave as the slave will be basically acting as purely a storage medium only.

Regardless you need to use the Apple Installation disc which came with the G5 to format and partition the drive to be used for OS X AND the drive to be used for YDL. The partition for OS X will be selected to have hfs or hfs+; the partition intended for YDL will have to be selected to have the Free Space designation. Only AFTER this has been done will the YDL installation be able to proceed so that anaconda can use the partition created by Disk Utility as Free Space, and build the ext3 format there which YDL in turn will use. Think of Apple's Disk Utility providing a template upon which YDL will see and then build upon.

Follow the rest of the YDL installation process and then you should be able to boot into YDL normally.

All the best...

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby gomaaz » 01 Mar 2010, 10:57

Thanks for the advices. I will try it in a few hours and let you results know then.

actually I think it's just a yaboot-config case. I probably need to configure manually.

But I'll try to format using the original G5 disk first.
I'm just using an empty drive right now. my mac osx harddrive is safe away from the computer :D

maybe I have to install Mac os X too to install YDL? I just tried to run it all alone on one HDD

my partion looks like this

sda1: 32.3 kb apple partition map
sda2: 1 MB B Bootstrap (yaboot)
sda3: 490 GB ext2
sda4: 2 GB swap
gomaaz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby aguilarojo » 01 Mar 2010, 20:02

gomaaz wrote:Thanks for the advices. I will try it in a few hours and let you results know then.

actually I think it's just a yaboot-config case. I probably need to configure manually.

But I'll try to format using the original G5 disk first.
I'm just using an empty drive right now. my mac osx harddrive is safe away from the computer :D

maybe I have to install Mac os X too to install YDL? I just tried to run it all alone on one HDD

my partion looks like this

sda1: 32.3 kb apple partition map
sda2: 1 MB B Bootstrap (yaboot)
sda3: 490 GB ext2
sda4: 2 GB swap

Hi Gomaaz!

I don't think configuring yaboot is going to help you; configuring yaboot should only affect which drive it sees providing you an option to boot from, not the partition structure.

You don't need to install OS X to use YDL. You do need to boot from the Apple Installation OSX DVD to utilize Disk Utility so that it will format the drive you want YDL to reside and boot from. From within Disk Utility booted from the Apple Installation Disk, you will select that drive to be prepared for YDL so that that entire drive (if the entire drive is to be used exclusively for YDL) is formatted as Free Space. You need to select that Free Space format option from within Disk Utility.

Once that has finished and the Apple Installation disk has been removed, then you can utilize the YDL Installation DVD and install YDL onto that drive; then anaconda (the name of the YDL installation program) will install YDL onto the partition structure previously prepared by Disk Utility using ext3, not ext2.

Just to be as explicit as possible, my Powerbook G4 internal HD is divided into both OS X and YDL. What follows is what the application called parted (which means partition editor) sees of all partitions on that one internal drive.

Code: Select all
[aguila@arakus ~]$ su -
Password:
[root@arakus ~]# parted
GNU Parted 1.8.1
Using /dev/hda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print                                                           

Model: Hitachi IC25N060ATMR04-0 (ide)
Disk /dev/hda: 60.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: mac

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                  Flags
 1      0.51kB  32.8kB  32.3kB               Apple                     
 2      32.8kB  1081kB  1049kB  hfs          untitled              boot
 4      1081kB  106MB   105MB   ext3         untitled                   
 3      134MB   21.8GB  21.6GB  hfs+         Apple_HFS_Untitled_1       
 5      21.8GB  22.8GB  1069MB  linux-swap   swap                  swap
 6      22.8GB  60.0GB  37.2GB  ext3         untitled                   

(parted) quit                                                             
Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary.             

[root@arakus ~]# exit
logout

[aguila@arakus ~]$

On your G5 OS X will reside on a different drive, that drive will as I pointed out before has to be a master so that you can boot from it. The drive containing YDL will also be a master drive. Yaboot should be able to see both OS X and YDL allowing you at boot time the option to boot into either drive. You may need to modify yaboot to see the OS X drive and allow it to allow you the option to boot from either OS X or YDL, as both operating systems are on different drives.

All the best...

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Installation