YDL 6.2 Fails First Boot

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

YDL 6.2 Fails First Boot

Postby InkBlot » 27 Feb 2010, 23:28

I have a PPC Mac (G4 Quicksilver) with two hard drives. I planned on having YDL installed on the first hard drive (80GB), and Mac OS 9/OS X on the second hard drive (200GB). After setting up Mac OS 9 and OS X on the second hard drive, I installed YDL 6.2 from DVD, creating partitions for bootstrap, /, /usr, /home, /tmp, and swap. I did the default install, and it went through with no errors. On boot, after navigating through yaboot, I got the following:

Code: Select all
Red Hat nash version 6.0.9 starting
mount:  error while loading shared libraries:  libdevmapper.so.1.02:  cannot open shared object file:  No such file or directory
              Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux
              Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
Setting clock  (utc):  Sat Feb 27 10:01:12 CST 2010    [  OK  ]
Starting udev:                                         [  OK  ]
Loading default keymap (us):                           [  OK  ]
Setting hostname localhost.localdomain:                [  OK  ]
nash:  error while loading shared libraries:  libnash.so.6.0.9:  cannot open shared object file:  No such file or directory
Setting up Logical Volume Management:                  [  OK  ]
Checking filesystems
fsck:  error while loading shared libraries:  libdevmapper.so.1.02:  cannot open shared object file:  No such file or directory
                                                       [FAILED]

*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell;  the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.

This has been my second attempt at the installation. My first attempt had YDL spread across partitions on both the first and second drives, with Mac OS 9/OS X having separate partitions on the first drive with identical results. Does anyone know what the problem might be and how I might go about fixing it? Where should libnash.so and libdevmapper.so be located?
InkBlot
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: YDL 6.2 Fails First Boot

Postby aguilarojo » 05 Mar 2010, 02:21

InkBlot wrote:I have a PPC Mac (G4 Quicksilver) with two hard drives. ...

Hi Inkblot!

I believe that your difficulty stems from not reading the Installation Guide for YDL 6.2 carefully. I recommend you review p. 5 and explore what it says about using Apple's Disk Utility application from the Apple Installation Disk (in other words, one boots from the Apple DVD to do this) to create the partition structure for YDL, first. It is unfortunate that the instructions are not pristinely clear.

As OS X/9 are on a separate drive you don't need to work on that drive at all; within Disk Setup choose and work only the drive upon which you intend to install YDL. Follow the directions on page 5, for that particular drive. Once you've finished using Disk Setup quit and remove the Apple Installation DVD. Now is when you utilize the YDL Installation DVD, and boot from it. When you come to that portion of the installation process where you are to choose which drive to install YDL upon make sure that you choose the drive you just finished formatting using Apple's utility. Anaconda (YDL installer) should see it but it is up to you to direct anaconda to install YDL there and let anaconda automatically proceed after you've determined which drive YDL is to install upon.

A closing note regarding installing OS X and OS 9/Classic; these are capabilities which doesn't require separate formatting for OS 9. However, you DO need the correct Apple Installation disk which contains both OS X and the Classic OS or OS 9. Apple built this feature into very few incarnations of OS X. You may need to examine the original installation disc of the G4 provided by Apple. In any case, once you find it you'll discover that you can install OS 9 and OS X onto the same drive and the Apple DVD will take care of the details for you. Once the installation is complete you should be able to use OS 9 applications and OS 9 will remain active or present until you quit them which will then bring you into OS X. It was an interesting setup; I'd still be using it but there are no OS 9 applications which interest me any longer.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby InkBlot » 05 Mar 2010, 15:39

aguilarojo, thanks for the reply. I did read the YDL installation manual, and did format my hard drive per instructions on page 4 and 5, or so I thought. In fact, I started from scratch. I reformatted the hard drives via the OS 9 disk setup, creating HFS+ partitions on one hard drive for OS 9 and OS X, and initializing the other hard drive, but leaving them unallocated. I then installed OS 9 on its partition, OS X on its partition, and partitioned the hard drive that was initialized but unallocated via the YDL installer, creating partitions I listed in my initial post. Did I make a mistake somewhere? Did I misread something in the instructions?
InkBlot
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby eha » 07 Mar 2010, 17:25

I have the same behaviour as InkBlot - same screen when booting first time.
My system is a ppc Mac mini, I followed the instructions in the installation guide and created two partitions with Apples tools, and installed Mac OS X 10.5 on the last partition.
After this I booted on the YDL 6.2 DVD and created new partitions, so I have the following:
Code: Select all
/dev/hda2
/dev/hda3            Apple bootstrap
/dev/hda4  /         ext3
/dev/hda6  /usr      ext3
/dev/hda7  /share_2  ext2
/dev/hda8  /share_1  vfat
/dev/hda9  /var      ext3
/dev/hda10           swap
/dev/hda5            hfs+

When booting I get the
mount: error while loading shared libraries: libdevmapper.so.1.02: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
error.
Is libdevmapper.so.1.02 supposed to be on the ramdisk ?
eha
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby aguilarojo » 19 Mar 2010, 20:28

InkBlot wrote:aguilarojo, thanks for the reply. I did read the YDL installation manual, and did format my hard drive per instructions on page 4 and 5, or so I thought. In fact, I started from scratch. I reformatted the hard drives via the OS 9 disk setup, creating HFS+ partitions on one hard drive for OS 9 and OS X, and initializing the other hard drive, but leaving them unallocated. I then installed OS 9 on its partition, OS X on its partition, and partitioned the hard drive that was initialized but unallocated via the YDL installer, creating partitions I listed in my initial post. Did I make a mistake somewhere? Did I misread something in the instructions?

You have two drives, one you can dedicate entirely to YDL and the other you can split between OS X/OS 9. Keeping the procedure you should follow as simple as I can, remember that when you are formatting your drive for the Mac OS (either one) make a note for yourself to insure that you are formatting the correct drive and creating the right partitions at the right locations. You should prepare all partitions using the utility program (I don't remember if it's name is Disk Utility or something else) located within the menu found within the OS 9 CD you are booting from. Using that program first is important because it is with it that you will create two distinct hfs partitions on the second drive (one for OS 9; the other for OS X) AND using that same utility it will create on the first drive one huge unallocated or free partition; make sure the correct drive is selected.

Having done the above then execute that utility to proceed to create all three partitions -- at the same time.

Next, keep the OS 9 CD installed and proceed to install OS 9 onto the second drive intended for OS 9. When that installation is complete, install OS X by booting from the Tiger installation DVD onto the partition on the second drive intended to for OS X. If you have Tiger, as you explore your installation options you should see the option to install the Classic OS, select that option. This option is only visible when Tiger sees that you installed OS 9; the option to install Classic allows you to use the OS 9 partition which you created earlier while remaining within OS X. It's a neat Apple trick which I've not seen other companies able to emulate. You can read more about that capability of Tiger here.

Ok. You are at this point within Tiger Installation DVD disk, as you select the option to install Classic, also install OS X but this time the place of the hard drive you will install onto will be the other hfs partition on the second drive. There is no need to use Disk Utility again or attempt to format the first drive -- this was done earlier.

Now, before we do anything further I recommend that you cross-check the work done up to this point. Boot into the second drive via OS X. What should happen is that when you reach the Apple desktop you should immediately see an option available within OS X to switch into OS 9 or Classic mode. The neat thing about this mode is that when you are in Classic the desktop switches entirely into a mode exactly familiar to anyone who used OS 9 and anything earlier from Apple. As the article I shared with you earlier makes clear not all Classic or OS 9 and earlier applications will work in the Classic environment but a good number should work fairly well. After you are finished with the Classic mode or Classic applications and quit them you'll be eventually back in OS X without any requirement to reboot.

Assuming everything works, now the final step installing YDL onto the first drive.

Install and boot from the YDL DVD. It (Anaconda) should boot up and proceed to the option allowing you to choose from among the two drives you have. You should see all the partitions there of all drives; you should by this point be able to identify the first drive (as it will have NO hfs partitions anywhere on it) and that it is the drive onto which YDL will be directed to be installed. After you have told anaconda which drive that is, your YDL installation should proceed flawlessly.

After all that is done make sure you can boot into OS X (which also means you now immediately have access to Classic mode as well)-- remember a separate boot into OS 9 is not necessary. You should also be able to boot into YDL without difficulty. IF there is a problem remember to reset the PRAM. Press all the following keys at the same time: Command-option-p-r

That is it. I hope. :D

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Installation