Black screen, Installation help

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Black screen, Installation help

Postby angel82 » 12 Mar 2010, 19:07

Hello,

I need some help with installation of linux. Our main goal is getting Windows XP on the console.

We have a PS3 80GB model. HDTV 480p. A wireless mouse and keyboard (works good with ps3 and linux kboot). We have wireless internet but kboot kept telling us "leasefail" and "not found" when trying to load the install_ps3_480i. So we pluged it in using ethernet and voila it let us choose from using the tab key and select our install_ps3_480i. I was worried beacuse we have 480p not 480i but there was not an option for that. So then (still conected to the ethernet and YDL DVD still in console) it loaded up some more text and then said something like, "elf note unknown name terminated" then it switched to a black screen with a cursor blinking in the bottom left corner of the screen, like it wants me to type something but does not let me. I tried to switch it off and on mulitple times and was able to type a few letters in there before it would not let me type. Basically it stops the typing after a set amount of time (2 sec.), or doesn't let me type after it's been sitting a few seconds. So what do I do from there?

Note: I can still switch to ps3 game os and get back to kboot promt in the other os. Just can't get past the black screen with the blinking line.
angel82
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Black screen, Installation help

Postby angel82 » 12 Mar 2010, 19:23

OK I think I answered my own question... I just had to hook up the HDMI cables and got past the blinky screen and it just told me to reboot! Yeah progress. Now it is frozen on the screen that says welcome anaconda installer. So will now have to figure that out.
angel82
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 12 Mar 2010, 20:18

angel82 wrote:I need some help with installation of linux. Our main goal is getting Windows XP on the console.

You may want to reconsider installing Linux on the PS3 then.

Windows XP only runs on Intel (x86, x86-64) processors. The Cell processor in the PS3 has a PowerPC (ppc) primary core.

Therefore, you can't run Windows XP natively on the PS3.

Your only option is to run Windows XP under emulation. This means that the PS3's processor has to translate all of the Intel instructions in Windows XP into PowerPC code. This is a big speed penalty.

This emulator is called QEMU. You can read more about it here:
http://www.qemu.org/

NOTE: This is not the same as a virtualizer. In that case - say running Windows XP on VMWare under x86 Linux - the processor instructions are the same. Virtualizers - like VMWare - just need to mimic the environment, not re-implement the processor. They can run almost as fast as the native OS. Emulators can't.

In addition, PS3 Linux does not support 2D or 3D video acceleration. It only supports a simple framebuffer display. So - any Windows XP programs that require OpenGL or DirectX will fail.

So - yes - theoretically it is possible to run a very stripped down version of Windows XP via an emulator (QEMU). But - for most folks - there isn't much you can do with it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby angel82 » 12 Mar 2010, 20:43

I am aware of that process, just trying to figure out linux right now. I am at a dead end where it says greetings anaconda then says its safe to reboot. But nothing happens after reboot.
angel82
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 12 Mar 2010, 23:26

angel82 wrote:I am aware of that process, just trying to figure out linux right now. I am at a dead end where it says greetings anaconda then says its safe to reboot. But nothing happens after reboot.

Okay - just as long as you're aware. :D Many folks get very upset when they install Linux and then find that they can't run XP in the manner to which they're accustomed.

To solve your issues, when using 480i install, it's my understanding that only the analog outputs (component or composite) are functional. In other words, it's my understanding that, since 480i is not supported by HDMI on the console, it won't work for HDMI in Linux either. I certainly would try a composite or component cable for the install.

In addition, although the wireless mouse and keyboard may work for kboot:, the anaconda installer may not support them. You may need to use a wired USB mouse and keyboard after all.

Finally - the very first thing you should do is verify your media. Did you perform a SHA1SUM verify on the ISO you downloaded? If the ISO does not pass SHA1SUM, you could have a bad download. The fact that wireless vs. ethernet has entered into your install discussion seems to indicate bad media. A normal install of YDL does not engage the network at all.

The SHA1SUM values are here:
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/SHA1SUM

and a very brief HOWTO is here:
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/SHA1SUM-HOWTO

Finally - there's a good guide to installing YDL here:
http://www.ydl.net/support/installation ... _guide.pdf

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation