Installing YDL on PS3

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Installing YDL on PS3

Postby Jenraux » 18 Mar 2010, 17:16

Im thinking of installing YDL on PS3, but i cant get the ISO onto a DVD as i have no DVD's and my DVD-RW drive is broken it seems.

I have a 2gb USB flash drive but thats it.

Any other way to install it?
Jenraux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: Installing YDL on PS3

Postby aguilarojo » 18 Mar 2010, 20:22

Jenraux wrote:Im thinking of installing YDL on PS3, but i cant get the ISO onto a DVD as i have no DVD's and my DVD-RW drive is broken it seems.

Hi Jenraux:

I was researching your question as an old YDL user/programmer myself, hoping to share something positive but unfortunately Fixstar's posting makes clear that YDL 6.2 is not available anywhere except from the public mirrors. Years ago there once existed an option to execute what is known as a net-install, but that option never existed for the PS3 even when Terra Soft Solutions (TSS) still existed. Note that the document discussing the net install is addressing YDL 5.0.2 which I benefited from using myself back then, however TSS provided the webserver to allow the process to work. If you look carefully at the list of official public servers at Fixstars you would have to contact the System Administration team at each distinct mirror to acquire the permission and information necessary to initiate/complete a net-install download as Fixstars does not control the public servers (even if they are mirrors).

Although TSS dissolved yielding all YDL/YDEL, related and other former TSS products to Fixstars it should be quite clear that Fixstars is implementing a different concept or vision of service. I believed you (and others asking similarly) deserved to understand why and how the service/support you expected to exist, never did exist in the first place -- at least for the PS3.

The short of all the above means that your first priority is to acquire a functional DVD burner, acquire a stack of DVDs to burn and then download an iso you can burn (hopefully your network is DSL or faster) and you should be fine. Make sure to get the SHA1SUM so that you compare the SHA1SUM of the iso you download against the official SHA1SUM before you burn anything at least you'll save time by avoiding burning useless DVDs.
Last edited by aguilarojo on 27 Mar 2010, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 18 Mar 2010, 21:24

Jenraux wrote:Im thinking of installing YDL on PS3, but i cant get the ISO onto a DVD as i have no DVD's and my DVD-RW drive is broken it seems.

A user has reported success with this method:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6989&p=35920#p35372

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jenraux » 18 Mar 2010, 22:44

Ok thanks to the first replier.

@Second Replier

Does that method sort of use network link between the pc/ps3 to install the OS on the PS3. Otherwise i'd have to install the ISO on my flash drive, then i'd need to have a big flash drive like 4gb or more.
Jenraux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 19 Mar 2010, 03:02

Jenraux wrote:Does that method sort of use network link between the pc/ps3 to install the OS on the PS3. Otherwise i'd have to install the ISO on my flash drive, then i'd need to have a big flash drive like 4gb or more.

Best to contact the author of that post directly. I haven't used that method - I just know it exists.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aguilarojo » 19 Mar 2010, 20:53

Jenraux wrote:Ok thanks to the first replier.

@Second Replier

Does that method sort of use network link between the pc/ps3 to install the OS on the PS3. Otherwise i'd have to install the ISO on my flash drive, then i'd need to have a big flash drive like 4gb or more.

If you go with downloading the YDL iso onto a flash drive I'd recommend that it should be about 10 G+, just so you have room for the YDL iso + the software which may come with the flash drive + instructions regarding SHA1SUMs etc. If you have an old drive within an external enclosure you could download the YDL iso to there, check the SHA1SUMs and then create a YDL DVD.

Good Luck...

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 20 Mar 2010, 02:32

ppietro wrote:
Jenraux wrote:Does that method sort of use network link between the pc/ps3 to install the OS on the PS3. Otherwise i'd have to install the ISO on my flash drive, then i'd need to have a big flash drive like 4gb or more.

Best to contact the author of that post directly. I haven't used that method - I just know it exists.

I looked at the install procedure more closely. It uses an http install - which is, yes, a network link. However, you normally wouldn't use your PC. If your internet connection is fast enough, you would install directly from a YDL mirror.

If your internet connection is slow or flaky, though, you'd have to set up a local http server on your PC and dump the contents of the ISO there. In effect, creating a local mirror on your PC.

You don't need to put all of the contents of the ISO on your Flash drive - just the boot parts. That's the mention of the "you don't need Yellow Dog folder or PS3 folder as long as you have internet connection" in the procedure. However - I don't know what size USB thumb drive you'd need for this.

Also - you would have to do this with a wired connection. Wireless doesn't get configured until very late in the install process.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. There was an interesting wrinkle to this.

aguilarojo wrote:Years ago there once existed an option to execute what is known as a net-install, but that option never existed for the PS3 even when Terra Soft Solutions (TSS) still existed.

Although not a net install, TerraSoft/Fixstars did offer a bootable USB thumb drive of YDL 6.2 for the PS3. This wasn't a stock YDL distro either - it apparently had some custom code in it. It was never posted to the public mirrors, nor, to the best of my knowledge, was the information on how to create this distribution ever posted, but it definitely existed and was for sale.

http://www.fixstars.com/en/company/press/20090629.html

YDL v6.2 offers the following updates and improvements over v6.1:
- Ability to install and boot using USB thumb drive

and
The physical DVD sets and bootable USB drives will ship from Fixstars in 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, it has been discontinued:
http://www.fixstars.com/en/products/ydl/buy.html

Yellow Dog Linux on the USB

This product has been discontinued.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jenraux » 20 Mar 2010, 11:30

I'll probably try the network way then, i have 2 ethernet cables going into the room with my PS3 in, as i currently have an Xbox 360 in their, which doesnt have a wireless network receiver.

Thanks for the help.
Jenraux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to Installation