ps3 ydl 6.2 i'st time install

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Re: ps3 ydl 6.2 i'st time install

Postby ppietro » 24 Mar 2010, 11:54

magoo wrote:Switching to graphic mode where are the files after step 3
Thanks

Huh? Sorry - I don't understand.

The guides tell you exactly where the files are. Unlike Windows, Linux uses a "/" to indicate a directory. There is no drive letter, either. Everything in Linux starts from "/" - which we call the root directory - and goes from there.

So - when I say /etc/inittab, that means the etc directory off the root, and the file named inittab. Same with the /etc/X11/xorg.conf - that's the etc directory off the root, the X11 subdirectory and the xorg.conf file within that subdirectory.

I also gave you the syntax for using nano to safely edit files. When the guide says something like Edit /etc/inittab, as I posted above, you want to type:

nano -w /etc/inittab

I leave the editing of /etc/yaboot.conf as an exercise for the reader. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby magoo » 24 Mar 2010, 16:44

O.k so I have to type the file /etc/inittab press enter and then edit ?
Thanks.
magoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 24 Mar 2010, 17:37

magoo wrote:O.k so I have to type the file /etc/inittab press enter and then edit ?
Thanks.

Again - I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. As written, your statement above is incorrect - but that might not be what you've intended.

Go back and read my previous post VERY carefully. It explains what you need to do. It even tells you how to edit inittab:

i.e.

nano -w /etc/inittab

To re-iterate: You need to run an Editor to Edit a file in Linux. nano is probably the easiest Editor for beginners to use.

Typing the name of the file by itself just "runs" the file - exactly like Windows. That's what you've written - but you would never do that. Nor does the procedure ask you to.

If you meant in your statement "O.k so I have to type nano -w /etc/inittab press enter and then edit ?" you'd be correct.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby magoo » 24 Mar 2010, 18:25

Ater typing Xautoconfig and pressing enter in step 3 I typed nano-w/etc/inittab press enter and says no such file found
magoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 24 Mar 2010, 19:51

magoo wrote:Ater typing Xautoconfig and pressing enter in step 3 I typed nano-w/etc/inittab press enter and says no such file found

Come on - seriously? Do you not see the spaces in the command above? I don't know how much clearer I can make this.... :evil:

So - once again -

nano{space}-w{space}/etc/inittab

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby magoo » 25 Mar 2010, 01:24

I am serious there is no bigger noob than I. It is easy to make a mistake typing, for me anyhow. Well I did manage to edit the /etc/inittab but the /etc/yaboot.conf is throwing me off. I typed
nano -w /etc/ yaboot.conf but could not find the line append="rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/1" to edit.
Thanks.
magoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Noons » 25 Mar 2010, 01:56

magoo wrote:I am serious there is no bigger noob than I. It is easy to make a mistake typing, for me anyhow. Well I did manage to edit the /etc/inittab but the /etc/yaboot.conf is throwing me off. I typed
nano -w /etc/ yaboot.conf but could not find the line append="rhgb quiet root=LABEL=/1" to edit.
Thanks.

Hi,
If that is how typed it "nano -w /etc/ yaboot.conf" you have a space between etc/ and yaboot.conf that should not be there. If your typing it without that space it should be near the bottom line of the file I think.
Fedora core 12; ps3 CECHA01; samsung 720p plasma; kernel 2.6.32
Noons
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 25 Mar 2010, 02:09

magoo wrote:I am serious there is no bigger noob than I. It is easy to make a mistake typing, for me anyhow.

Be very careful then - double check anything before you do it. Linux can be very unforgiving in regards to typing mistakes. Not only do spaces count, but lower case/upper case counts as well. Very unpredictable things can happen if you don't type exactly as written.

I am extremely precise in the instructions I give - when in doubt, or if things don't work, be sure to refer back to what I've posted and verify you've entered the text as given. If it doesn't work, then follow-up questions are appropriate.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby magoo » 25 Mar 2010, 08:27

Well I think I finally got it all going and running smooth. I will spend the next few days messing around learning the basics
The only thing I noticed was when returning to game os and all the texts were scrolling saying ok there was something about eth0 failed but I did not notice anything beind affected.
Without your help I would have gave up on installing this cool feature on my ps3 probably like many before me.
Thanks.
magoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby magoo » 26 Mar 2010, 00:23

Switching to graphical mode step 5 is there spaces in the file where I change the video mode ? it is hard for me to tell.
Thanks.
magoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 26 Mar 2010, 03:34

magoo wrote:Switching to graphical mode step 5 is there spaces in the file where I change the video mode ? it is hard for me to tell.
Thanks.

Yes.

If you copy and paste the line into a text editor like Notepad or Word, you should be able to see the spaces more easily.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby magoo » 29 Mar 2010, 21:17

Great I just get linux up and running and Sony pulls the plug. Well may as well start formating Bye.
magoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 29 Mar 2010, 21:51

magoo wrote:Great I just get linux up and running and Sony pulls the plug. Well may as well start formating Bye.

Maybe not - see here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7266&start=30#p37584

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby magoo » 29 Mar 2010, 22:57

I started doing the full format but decided it was going to take to long so I cancelled it the ps3 restarted and asked if I will do quick format I said yes I formatted then screen froze so I turned off turned off and on power button in front Now I am back doing full format, Do you think I messed up my ps3. Thanks
magoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 29 Mar 2010, 23:16

magoo wrote:Do you think I messed up my ps3. Thanks

No. It's just that if you start a full format, you have to finish a full format.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Installation