ps3 ydl 6.2 i'st time install

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

ps3 ydl 6.2 i'st time install

Postby magoo » 23 Mar 2010, 01:51

Hello I downloaded iso from mirror burnt to dvd
followed steps to install to a 480i tv on two part you tube video.
I managed to surf the web with firefox however I think when it came to network configurations I input something wrong.
Does anybody have exact settings I need to type for network configuration it seems a little bit different from the video.
When I restart linux I type root press enter type my password press enter type Xautoconfig press enter type startX enter.
I can not seem to login again and the more I try I end up running text all the way down the page I can not back space or delete the words.
This is my second attempt after reformatting and installing the ist time.
I feel a little over my head with this linux os . Can someone please help with a simple attention defficet disorder version for me.
Thanks.
magoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: ps3 ydl 6.2 i'st time install

Postby ppietro » 23 Mar 2010, 04:17

magoo wrote:Hello I downloaded iso from mirror burnt to dvd
followed steps to install to a 480i tv on two part you tube video.

Generally, we can't recommend YouTube video instructions. Every installation is slightly different and videos don't cover that.

The official install documentation is here:
http://www.ydl.net/support/installation ... _guide.pdf

After that, the instructions for configuring graphics mode from 480i are here:
http://www.ydl.net/support/solutions/yd ... to-5.shtml

NOTE: Be careful about step 5. If your root=LABEL=/1 parameter is different - don't change it to match! Leave that section of the line alone. Just edit the place marked {YOUR VIDEO MODE} with the appropriate video mode. (Hint: Try 1 to start)

We have written some supplementary instructions about video modes here:
viewtopic.php?t=3524

magoo wrote:I managed to surf the web with firefox however I think when it came to network configurations I input something wrong.

Are you doing Wireless or Wired Networking? If you're doing Wireless, we recommend that you use YDL 6.2's wicd utility instead of Network Configuration control panel.

Wicd is a GUI tool, so you'll have to get the graphics running per the steps above. Once you have the graphics working, I have some steps to using wicd in Scenario 3 here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534#p23390

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby magoo » 23 Mar 2010, 05:24

Thanks for reply I am using a wired connection. I am confused as to whether I have to input any numbers at the configure network step or can I skip it ? Also after the ydl is installed what logon steps are necessary to get to the desktop.
Thanks.
magoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 23 Mar 2010, 05:39

magoo wrote:Thanks for reply I am using a wired connection. I am confused as to whether I have to input any numbers at the configure network step or can I skip it ?

Since you're using Wired, you won't use wicd - you'll use Network Configuration control panel. :)

If your network has a DHCP server available, then you don't need to input any numbers in the Configure Network step. If your network uses Static IP, then you will have to input numbers: IP Address, Subnet mask, Gateway Address, and DNS Server(s) Address.

Most networks - especially if you're using DSL or a separate router - have DHCP available. The setting is "Automatically obtain address settings with: dhcp". Also check "Automatically obtain DNS information from provider"

magoo wrote:Also after the ydl is installed what logon steps are necessary to get to the desktop.

That's in my 2nd link above. For reference:

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby magoo » 23 Mar 2010, 05:52

Well for the third time today I will try to install again. Linux will not own me I will kick its ass. By the way can I screw up my ps3 somehow? Thanks.
magoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 23 Mar 2010, 05:54

magoo wrote:Well for the third time today I will try to install again. Linux will not own me I will kick its ass. By the way can I screw up my ps3 somehow? Thanks.

Why do you need to install again? Nothing you've indicated suggests the need for re-installation. Can you elaborate further on what you're getting stuck on? The procedures are pretty straight forward.

And - no - you can't screw up your PS3. Linux runs under a hypervisor that prevents access to any of the GameOS disc partitions.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby magoo » 23 Mar 2010, 06:14

When I get to the network configuration it says wlan0 unconfigured
eth0 unconfigured
Three options of edit ok and back
magoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 23 Mar 2010, 06:21

magoo wrote:When I get to the network configuration it says wlan0 unconfigured
eth0 unconfigured
Three options of edit ok and back

Steps:

0. Open the Network Configuration panel.
1. Delete the wlan0 entry and the eth0 entry under the Devices tab. There should be nothing there at all.
2. Make sure there is an entry for PlayStation 3 Gigabit Ethernet under the Hardware tab
3. Switch back to the Devices tab and click New
4. In the resultant Add new Device Type window, select Ethernet connection and click Forward.
5. In the Select Ethernet Device, pick PlayStation 3 Gigabit Ethernet (eth0) and click Forward.
6. Leave Configure Network Settings at default and click Forward.
7. In the resultant Create Ethernet Device window, click Apply
8. Back at the Network Configuration panel, click Activate.
9. In the resultant System-config-network window, click Yes to save your changes.

At that point, your wired network should be working. If it's not, post the errors that are displayed.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby magoo » 23 Mar 2010, 06:33

I do not see devices tab option on the screen
magoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 23 Mar 2010, 06:48

magoo wrote:I do not see devices tab option on the screen

You sure you started the Network Configuration control panel? If you're using the default YDL environment, it should be under (Yellow Dog Icon) --> Applications --> System tools --> Network (Network Configuration)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 23 Mar 2010, 07:01

Also - if you're using Mode 1, the screen may not be big enough to display all of the Network Configuration panel. Use the fullscreen 480i mode instead. That's mode 129.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby magoo » 23 Mar 2010, 07:03

I am installing through the crap 480i text setting there appears to be no options.
magoo
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 23 Mar 2010, 07:34

magoo wrote:I am installing through the crap 480i text setting there appears to be no options.

You need to set up the Graphics first. You can't get where you need to go via text.

Please set up your graphics mode via this post:

In addition to the warning I posted above, you'll need a text editor to fix the inittab file in step 4. You can use nano for this. You'll want to start nano with the -w parameter just in case.

e.g.

nano -w /etc/inittab

And - again - you'll want to use mode 129, just to be safe.

Wait - hold on a minute. Did you kick off a re-install? Dang - we probably could have fixed this without doing that. :(

Well - if you're installing - you'll have to complete it. Don't worry about the networking settings during an install - you'll have to fix them post install, once you get the graphics running.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 23 Mar 2010, 07:42

So to recap:

1. Complete 480i text installation. Do not worry about networking during this install - we'll fix it post-install.

2. Follow the procedure here to set graphics mode:

NOTE: Be careful about step 5. If your root=LABEL=/1 parameter is different - don't change it to match! Leave that section of the line alone. Just edit the place marked {YOUR VIDEO MODE} with the appropriate video mode. I'd suggest mode 129 to start. (That's 480i fullscreen)

NOTE: You'll need a text editor to fix the inittab file in step 4. You can use nano for this. You'll want to start nano with the -w parameter just in case.

e.g.
nano -w /etc/inittab

Ctrl-X (i.e. ^X) to exit nano and save.

3. Once you have graphics working, you'll want to log in and fix networking:

a. Open the Network Configuration panel. (Yellow Dog Icon) --> Applications --> System tools --> Network (Network Configuration)
b. Delete the wlan0 entry and the eth0 entry under the Devices tab. There should be nothing there at all.
c. Make sure there is an entry for PlayStation 3 Gigabit Ethernet under the Hardware tab
d. Switch back to the Devices tab and click New
e. In the resultant Add new Device Type window, select Ethernet connection and click Forward.
f. In the Select Ethernet Device, pick PlayStation 3 Gigabit Ethernet (eth0) and click Forward.
g. Leave Configure Network Settings at default and click Forward.
h. In the resultant Create Ethernet Device window, click Apply
i. Back at the Network Configuration panel, click Activate.
j. In the resultant System-config-network window, click Yes to save your changes.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby magoo » 24 Mar 2010, 09:29

Switching to graphic mode where are the files after step 3
Thanks
magoo
ydl newbie