PS3 Yellow Dog 6.2 Won't Install!

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

PS3 Yellow Dog 6.2 Won't Install!

Postby R23 » 25 Apr 2010, 03:44

Hello everyone I was wondering if someone could help me with this,

I am trying to do a HTTP install of YDL 6.2 on my PS3 (Firmware 2.80). As I have a dead Blu Ray drive I cannot install from a disk.

Basically I get the 'cannot retrieve' error when I point the install to http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/releases/yellowdog-6.2/os

When I include all the contents of the YDL iso apart from the Yellowdog and PS3 folder on the USB stick I get the error...

cannot retrieve minstg2.img

and when I only include the ramdisk.image.gz, vmlinux & yaboot.conf from the ppc64 folder on the USB stick I get the error...

cannot retrieve stage2.img

I noticed the 'double slash issue' in the error message that some of you may know about (http://ydl.oregonstate.edu//releases/yellowdog-6.2/os) but I dont know how to stop the install automatically putting that in or even if it matters.

When I click HTTP install for the first time it says 'sending request for IP information for eth0...' And it takes a while, I don't even know if that means its able or unable to connect to the internet (never asks me for my ISP username and password).

This is my first time installing linux so I really need step by step instructions, im sure there probably some explanation and way to solve this.

I would really appreciate the help, ive been fighting with this for days and days!

Thanks
R23
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: PS3 Yellow Dog 6.2 Won't Install!

Postby ppietro » 25 Apr 2010, 06:47

R23 wrote:Hello everyone I was wondering if someone could help me with this,

I am trying to do a HTTP install of YDL 6.2 on my PS3 (Firmware 2.80). As I have a dead Blu Ray drive I cannot install from a disk.

One of our users wrote up a pretty good step-by-step guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6989

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby R23 » 25 Apr 2010, 08:52

Thanks for the reply, I had already read that guide and others about how to do a YDL no DVD install and I can get right up to the point where I enter the HTTP address but there has never been a clear solution to fix the 'cannot retrieve' issue.

I need to know why its not finding what it needs, and I dont even know if the PS3 connecting to anything hence why I asked about the requesting IP information popup.
R23
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 25 Apr 2010, 10:16

R23 wrote:Thanks for the reply, I had already read that guide and others about how to do a YDL no DVD install and I can get right up to the point where I enter the HTTP address but there has never been a clear solution to fix the 'cannot retrieve' issue.

It would have been nice if you had mentioned that you had read that guide before I looked it up for you. But - no matter - we're on the same page now. :D

R23 wrote:I need to know why its not finding what it needs, and I dont even know if the PS3 connecting to anything hence why I asked about the requesting IP information popup.

Are you using Wireless or Wired to connect to the internet? Make sure you're using Wired - I don't think Wireless will work.

Also - I'm curious about this part of your message:

R23 wrote:When I click HTTP install for the first time it says 'sending request for IP information for eth0...' And it takes a while, I don't even know if that means its able or unable to connect to the internet (never asks me for my ISP username and password).

What type of internet are you connecting to? Are you using some sort of PPPoE connection via DSL? If so, that probably won't work. There are a lot of issues with PPPoE and Linux.

If you normally have to supply an ISP username and password to log in to your internet, you might consider getting some sort of firewall/router - like this: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=316 - that can log into your PPPoE for you. Then, you'd plug the PS3 into the hardwire port on the back of the DI-524.

To do this type of install, you basically need a pure internet connection - the PS3 can't handle any kind of network login at this stage in the install. (The exception is if you were doing an FTP install - and then just to log into the FTP server)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby R23 » 25 Apr 2010, 17:03

I'm using a wired connection and unfortunatley your right, im on a PPPoE connection where I have to provide login details. These are the type of standard routers you get given when signing up to an ISP and they don't offer much funtionality. I have an Arescom NetDsl 1200 Series ADSL Router with 4 ports, I don't know if its possible to get into its settings and configure it to auto login.

This is the router - http://www.arescom.com/Arescom/Arescom_ ... 00unit.cfm

And its specs - http://www.arescom.com/Arescom/Arescom_ ... _Specs.cfm

It actually says on the site Built-in PPPoE, no third party software required but I dont know if that means it will work, I dont understand why it said it was missing 2 different things when I tried with different files on the USB stick. It made it seem like it did indeed connect to something!

Are there any other methods I can try?, I saw other methods of installation in the setup screen (along with FTP and HTTP), I think one was called HDD install and you point to a directory housing the iso... does that mean its possible to put the iso on an external and do it that way?

I would try and setup a HTTP server on my latop and host the files but that seems mega complicated, especially with my router!!

Thanks for the on going help, I really appreciate it.
R23
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 25 Apr 2010, 20:21

R23 wrote:I have an Arescom NetDsl 1200 Series ADSL Router with 4 ports, I don't know if its possible to get into its settings and configure it to auto login.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about these models. *sigh*. Anyone else got one of these?

R23 wrote:I dont understand why it said it was missing 2 different things when I tried with different files on the USB stick. It made it seem like it did indeed connect to something!

Both files - minstg2.img and stage2.img - are in the remote directory on the Oregon State server and are apparently required for an install:
http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/releases/yel ... os/images/

Code: Select all
[DIR] Parent Directory                                                        -   
[   ] boot.iso                                           27-Jun-2009 00:58   35M 
[   ] minstg2.img                                        27-Jun-2009 00:59   36M 
[DIR] netboot/                                           27-Jun-2009 00:58    -   
[   ] stage2.img                                         27-Jun-2009 00:59   80M 

My guess is that when you configure your stick with the "everything but the yellowdog folder" option, one of these files are present on the stick - but since you can't connect to the internet, you can't load the other missing one.

Or something like that. :D

R23 wrote:Are there any other methods I can try?, I saw other methods of installation in the setup screen (along with FTP and HTTP), I think one was called HDD install and you point to a directory housing the iso... does that mean its possible to put the iso on an external and do it that way?

Possibly. At this point - you're going to have to tell us, I'm afraid. My knowledge of alternative install methods ends about here.

R23 wrote:I would try and setup a HTTP server on my latop and host the files but that seems mega complicated, especially with my router!!

Might be the easiest way, though. I guess you'd use your laptop's IP address instead of the hostname in the URL.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby R23 » 27 Apr 2010, 13:19

Right, I went back on the PS3 and wrote everything down! This is what I see if I try to do an iso install from a external device...

In the YDL Installation Method screen it asks what install method you want to use and it has the following options...

Local CDROM
Hard Drive
NFS Directory
FTP
HTTP

If I select Hard Drive, It ask to Selection Partition (what partition holds the iso images for YDL), I then click F2 to configure additional devices and it asks which one you want to select and gives the following list...

scd0
sda
sdb
sdc
sdd

Clicking any of these gives a 'failed to mount' error.

Basically I dont get how the file structure works on the PS3 and what a drive designation would be for a USB stick plugged into one of its ports or even if a need to enter some specific directory.

As for the FTP install, would I just need to setup internet connection sharing on my latop, get its IP and then enter that in to the FTP install? How then would I point it to the iso on the laptop? So would it be something like this...

FTP Site Name: XXXXXXX (IP)
YDL Directory: C:/....

Thanks for the help, I'm also still looking into whether I can enable auto PPPoe on my router.
R23
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 27 Apr 2010, 19:18

R23 wrote:scd0
sda
sdb
sdc
sdd

Clicking any of these gives a 'failed to mount' error.

My guess is that the default installer kernel doesn't contain a USB driver. This is traditionally the way Linux installers are configured. You'd need an IDE or SATA drive to do a hard disc install - which you can't add because it's a PS3. d'oh!

R23 wrote:As for the FTP install, would I just need to setup internet connection sharing on my latop, get its IP and then enter that in to the FTP install? How then would I point it to the iso on the laptop? So would it be something like this...

FTP Site Name: XXXXXXX (IP)
YDL Directory: C:/....

Something like that. I don't think you'd set up Internet Connection Sharing - that's more to let other boxes talk to the internet through your box. I think you need to set up IIS on your laptop, then setup an FTP server. If you're installing IIS, though, you might as well just setup an HTTP server - since that's what IIS really does.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby R23 » 28 Apr 2010, 04:55

I want to try an FTP install by setting up ISS but I really don't have a clue about how to do these things! Is there any really simple tutorial I can follow showing how to set all this up, maybe one which is specific to hosting a linux iso install?

Also, I wanted to ask about where one might find a 'pure' internet connection, Are there certian places which are likley to have such a setup (like an office, public library etc)? I can just see myself standing somewhere holding a PS3 and a portable TV trying to look inconspicuous! :lol:

Thanks.
R23
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 28 Apr 2010, 06:01

R23 wrote:I want to try an FTP install by setting up ISS but I really don't have a clue about how to do these things! Is there any really simple tutorial I can follow showing how to set all this up, maybe one which is specific to hosting a linux iso install?

I don't know of any offhand. Google is probably your best friend here. (And - remember - it's IIS, not ISS)

R23 wrote:Also, I wanted to ask about where one might find a 'pure' internet connection, Are there certian places which are likley to have such a setup (like an office, public library etc)? I can just see myself standing somewhere holding a PS3 and a portable TV trying to look inconspicuous! :lol:

No idea. Do you have a friend with a cable modem? That might be the easiest way.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby paco2099 » 29 Apr 2010, 00:04

Can some one please tell me what to actually do? for the Linux to be installed on my ps3 via usb?

I have read the other guide. and I have installed petitboot onto the usb, but I can't seem to copy the ydl from a dvd onto the usb. errors, some files won't transfer. then when I enter the other os, I choose 2 to convert to 720p, but then from there what do I do. how do I do a http install. the insert key does not edit. matter afact it does nothing. is there something I am missing or something I am not doing right?
paco2099
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby paddy_dev » 09 May 2010, 17:26

Instead of petitboot, you might be better off using pdaXrom-ng instead, which can be found here.
Note that pdaXrom-ng supports the PS3 controller, so in the event that your USB keyboard is not responding you can just use the sixaxis to navigate and boot the correct install option.

From the DVD, you need to copy all the files expect the directories 'PS3' and 'Yellowdog'.
The first one contains the bootloader image which you will need to replace, the later contains the rpm files needed for installation, which can be served from an online/network source instead (either ftp, http or nfs)
If you cannot copy the files on the DVD, you might want to try and burn the DVD again with minimal burn speed. Otherwise just mount the iso to copy the contents.
paddy_dev
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation