YDL 6.1-6.2 install

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

YDL 6.1-6.2 install

Postby CMontM » 07 Jun 2010, 21:32

Greetings all,

I've been interested in Linux for quite some time and finally got around to backing up my data and creating a frees space hard drive on the 1st bus of my Mac PPC G4 Digi Audio.

Anyhoo, I've done everything I've needed to do for this preparation including the sha1sum verification and burned the disc and finally upon booting the DVD like I'm supposed to do only to end up time and again to only getting a PS3 options for the install.

I know I've done everything I'm supposed to do for this, but what has gone wrong here and why am I not getting the option to install ppc_32 for my Mac?

Thanks for any help! :roll:

FWIW, I'm building my own PC for Linux: (Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu) for the time is near for my upgrade to go beyond the mysterious beyond :P

-M-
CMontM
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: YDL 6.1-6.2 install

Postby ppietro » 07 Jun 2010, 22:16

CMontM wrote:Anyhoo, I've done everything I've needed to do for this preparation including the sha1sum verification and burned the disc and finally upon booting the DVD like I'm supposed to do only to end up time and again to only getting a PS3 options for the install.

I know I've done everything I'm supposed to do for this, but what has gone wrong here and why am I not getting the option to install ppc_32 for my Mac?

To start - which ISOs (filenames) have you downloaded, SHA1SUM verified and burned? And - where did you download these from?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CMontM » 07 Jun 2010, 23:06

Hello ppietro,

To start - which ISOs (filenames) have you downloaded, SHA1SUM verified and burned? And - where did you download these from?

Excellent. I love "To starts" I got the ISOs from http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/
I got the bottom ISO and the 3rd one from the bottom (20090629 and 20081119) neither produced the results I was expecting as I described in my 1st post.
Hope there's a solution to this, something just isn't quite working. I suppose I could have done something incorrectly.

-M-
CMontM
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby CMontM » 09 Jun 2010, 08:00

Ah, I have a CPU upgrade in this G4.
I'll give another go on a G4 AGP that hasn't been upgraded.

-M-
CMontM
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 09 Jun 2010, 08:58

CMontM wrote:I got the ISOs from http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/
I got the bottom ISO and the 3rd one from the bottom (20090629 and 20081119)

Good - good. That's a good mirror to use, and both of those ISOs are good ones to use.

CMontM wrote:Ah, I have a CPU upgrade in this G4.
I'll give another go on a G4 AGP that hasn't been upgraded.

Cool. That could very well be why the installer is confused.

However - I'm surprised you can't select one of the other options. According to the Mac instructions here:
http://www.ydl.net/support/installation ... _guide.pdf

you should be able to tab select either of these options:

At the white text on a black background boot prompt, press TAB for a full selection of 
install options, a few of which are detailed as follows:
● G4 ­­ Enter install_ppc32 or install_ppc32_text and press ENTER
● G5 ­­ Enter install_ppc64 or install_ppc64_text and press ENTER

So - just to clarify - you've hit tab, but only these options are available?

install_ps3_1080i for PS3 and monitor capable of 1080i
install_ps3_1080p for PS3 and monitor capable of 1080p
install_ps3_480i same as install_text
install_ps3_720p for PS3 and monitor capable of 720p

(these are from the PS3 install manual:
http://www.ydl.net/support/installation ... _guide.pdf )

That is weird. It may very well be that the installer doesn't recognize your G4 as a Mac due to the processor upgrade, and defaults to PS3 options only. That's still weird though - I would think that all the options would be available no matter what you're booting on.

But - since I don't have a Mac to test on (yet!) - I can only guess how this would work.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation