Sawtooth G4 unable to boot DVD

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Sawtooth G4 unable to boot DVD

Postby csm » 13 Jun 2010, 16:52

I recently decided to do something with my old G4 tower that was lying around, so I downloaded Yellow Dog Linux and decided to install it.

I downloaded the yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso file, and verified the SHA1 sum with openssl sha1 on my macbook (they matched).

I burned the ISO using disk utility, and verified that I can mount it on my macbook pro, and everything looks fine. The problem comes when I try to boot off the DVD.
When I hold down the option key and start up, the disc does not show up as bootable, and when I boot and hold down the c key, I get only the blinking "no startup folder" icon (the tower currently has no operating system on it).

Interestingly, I tried burning the boot.iso image found in the images folder on the DVD, and I can boot off that, but when the installer asks for the second disk to continue the install, it doesn't recognize the DVD, or the stage2.img file as the second disc.

Am I doing the installation procedure wrong, or is there some other issue here?
csm
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Sawtooth G4 unable to boot DVD

Postby iceberg » 28 Jun 2010, 09:00

I am having the same problem. Holding 'C' at power on does nothing just boots to OSX. If I hold OPT down then select the Linux DVD icon and continue it just goes right back to the device selection and I have control of the cursor but can not click anything.

I also tried Debian PPC and got almost the same thing only holding down 'C' results in the flashing globe icon.

Open Firmware seems to see cd: but when you give it a boot loader such as boot cd:,\yaboot (boot cd:,\ppc\mac\yaboot on YDL dvd) it complains it can not find it.

My system is as follows:

Machine Name: PowerMac G4 AGP
Machine Model: PowerMac 3,1
CPU: PowerPC G4 2.7
CPU Speed: 450Mhz
Ram: 1G
Boot Rom: 4.2.8f1
Hard Drive: 60G IDE ATA
DVD: Generic 52x DVD Rom
iceberg
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby johnnytucats » 19 Jan 2012, 15:45

Old question but I was able to start from DVD by resetting the PRAM then immediately holding "C".
johnnytucats
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Omnios » 01 Mar 2012, 16:36

johnnytucats wrote:Old question but I was able to start from DVD by resetting the PRAM then immediately holding "C".

How do you reset PRAM? I am pulling teath trying to get linux installed on my G4 mirror door my dvd is the second cd drive wont boot hangs at icon
Omnios
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation