Installer issue

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Installer issue

Postby rrrrob » 23 Jul 2010, 21:20

Hello all,

New user, couldn't find like item on forum.

I downloaded the following file from the FTP site at Oregon State, "yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso". I burned the disc and it verified correctly. I booted the Mac PowerPC G4 dual 500MHz on the DVD and I got the boot screen, white text on black background. So far all seems to be working fine. I have two drives, one for yellow dog and one for OSX. The yellow dog drive is the first on the chain. I type tab and see the following,

install install- text install-ps3-480i
install-ps3-ps3-720p. install-ps3-ps3-1080i. install-ps3-1080p

Now the instructions say I should be looking for install_ppc32

If I didn't know any better I would think I downloaded the ps3 version of yellow dog dut I have double checked and the file name says ppc not ps3. Now, did I some how get the wrong file? Am I not installing it correctly? Did I burn the dDVD incorrectly? Do I need to download a different file, from another location?

Thanks for the time & help
Rob
rrrrob
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Installer issue

Postby ppietro » 23 Jul 2010, 22:19

rrrrob wrote:Hello all,

New user, couldn't find like item on forum.

I downloaded the following file from the FTP site at Oregon State, "yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso". I burned the disc and it verified correctly. I booted the Mac PowerPC G4 dual 500MHz on the DVD and I got the boot screen, white text on black background. So far all seems to be working fine. I have two drives, one for yellow dog and one for OSX. The yellow dog drive is the first on the chain. I type tab and see the following,

install install- text install-ps3-480i
install-ps3-ps3-720p. install-ps3-ps3-1080i. install-ps3-1080p

Now the instructions say I should be looking for install_ppc32

If I didn't know any better I would think I downloaded the ps3 version of yellow dog dut I have double checked and the file name says ppc not ps3. Now, did I some how get the wrong file? Am I not installing it correctly? Did I burn the dDVD incorrectly? Do I need to download a different file, from another location?

Thanks for the time & help
Rob

Nope - that's the right file.

Just so we're on the same page, I'm referencing the Apple install guide here:
http://www.ydl.net/support/installation ... _guide.pdf

I think you're already using this, since you're following the install steps listed.

So - what I think is happening is that the YDL installer isn't finding the "G4"-ish things it needs to identify your computer and is defaulting to PS3.

Have you performed any modifications or upgrades to this computer? I'm not talking about simple things like hard drives or RAM - I'm talking processor upgrades and the like.

What happens if you manually type in install_ppc32 ?

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. I'm a PS3 owner, so I can only help with some of the basics. Any of the other G4 or G5 owners, feel free to jump in here at any time. :)
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rrrrob » 24 Jul 2010, 16:51

Hello Paul

and thanks for the reply…

Yes, that is the guide w/instructions that I am following.

No, this machine has not been changed from factory setup at least it was ordered and shipped as is from Mac vendor.

When I enter install_ppc32 I get the following message…

install_ppc32:-1,/vmlinux: Unable to open file, Invalid device

I believe this unit is a factory G4 server.

******** FROM SYSTEM PROFILER ************
Hardware Overview:
Machine Name: Power Mac G4
Machine Model: PowerMac3,3
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.9)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 500 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.2.8f1

Looks like it is a Macintosh Server G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) and it has the following listed...

******** FROM SYSTEM PROFILER ************
PCI Cards:
ATTO,ExpressPCIProUL3D:
Type: scsi-2
Bus: PCI
Slot: SLOT-D
Vendor ID: 0x1000
Device ID: 0x0020
ROM Revision: 1.6.1f1
Revision ID: 0x0001

ATTO,ExpressPCIProUL3D:
Type: scsi-2
Bus: PCI
Slot: SLOT-D
Vendor ID: 0x1000
Device ID: 0x0020
ROM Revision: 1.6.1f1
Revision ID: 0x0001

Parallel SCSI:
SCSI Parallel Domain 0:
Initiator Identifier: 7
SCSI Target Device @ 0:
Manufacturer: QUANTUM
Model: ATLAS10K2-TY367L
Revision: DD20
SCSI Target Identifier: 0
SCSI Device Features: Wide, Sync, DT
SCSI Initiator/Target Features: Wide, Sync, DT
Peripheral Device Type: 0
SCSI Logical Unit @ 0:
Capacity: 34.2 GB
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
OS9 Drivers: Yes
SCSI Logical Unit Identifier: 0
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Volumes:
MacHD:
Available: 27.24 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s6
Mount Point: /

SCSI Target Device @ 1:
SCSI Target Identifier: 1
SCSI Device Features: Wide, Sync, DT
SCSI Initiator/Target Features: Wide, Sync, DT
Peripheral Device Type: 0
SCSI Logical Unit @ 0:
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk1
OS9 Drivers: No
SCSI Logical Unit Identifier: 0
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Volumes:
Linux:
Capacity: 34.07 GB
Available: 34.05 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: HFS+
BSD Name: disk1s3
Mount Point: /Volumes/Linux

SCSI Parallel Domain 1:
Initiator Identifier: 7

I believe this unit has a raid card that was factory installed and it seems to be SCSI-2. My guess is that this is the area that the installer is having troubles with but I'm not familiar enough yet with the YD install to know what to do next.

Thanks for the help
Rob
rrrrob
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby saldio » 02 Dec 2011, 23:18

I've exactly the same poblem! Is enyone here and can help?

I've also a PowerBook G4 and there seems to be no possible to install the correct version (install_ppc32) . there are only the versions for the ps3, why?

many thanks for the help!
saldio
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby rtharp » 10 Jan 2012, 05:33

Just used that iso to install on a G5 tower. The command 'install' will load the ppc version. The biggest issue I had to resolve was the partition mapping. What finally worked was to boot from a Mac OS X install disk (10.5.1), format the drive as two partitions with the first being set to 'Free space' and the second being the HFS+ partition.

I ran all the update cycles to go to 10.5.8 with all patches (two software update cycles from 10.5.1).
I'd suggest a permissions repair after all patches so your OSX load is golden.
Then reboot and hold 'c' with the 6.2 iso in the drive.
You'll get a text yaboot screen, likely with a bunch of 'c's' if you're not fast on the finger.
Hit 'tab' for images - install will be one of the listed images
type 'install'
The YDL install was clean and loaded yaboot 1.3.13 correctly with a bootstrap partition.
Reboot with the 'option' key triggered Open Firmware and showed both the YDL install and the OSX icons.

I'm looking to update the yaboot to latest 1.3.17 but seem to have some issues, likely the fact my *nix days were many years ago and I'm fat fingering something.

When using the OSX disk utility do not leave a third partition after the OSX partition. For some reason the install script ignored the 650 Gb free Space before the HFS+ partition and tried to cram the YDL load in the last open free space on my first try. Yaboot 1.3.13 will not recognize it there.
rtharp
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Quintin » 31 Jan 2012, 18:51

I'm having this same issue on a PowerMac G4 533Mhz (DA), BootRom 4.2.8.f1 (model: PowerMac3,4)

The YDL (6.2) install seems to run just fine, upon reboot I get the blinking OS folder.

Initially I had two 80gb wd drives in, I've since pulled one so that only the HDA drive is present (set to cable select).

The system will boot just fine from a osX 10.4 install CD, I can run the system profiler and that all seems to be happy.

The disk utility even shows the YDL partition scheme was written to the volume.

I've rerun the install several times. Accepted the default partitioning, changed the partitioning. Nothing seems to help.

I've followed several "reset the PRAM / CUDA / whatever-it's-called" guides. Nothing seems to help.

It's as if the YDL "boot strap" isn't recognized.

The system had a booting instance of 10.4 before I replaced the HD...

I'm at a loss..
Quintin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Quintin » 01 Feb 2012, 01:37

Please allow me to scrape the egg off my face...

It seems that properly setting the master/slave jumpers on the two drives did the trick (covers ears to block out laughter).

I guess the YDL install was smart enough to get around the problem, but the BIOS wasn't.

What can I say, SATA has spoiled me...

(slinks away in shame)
Quintin
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby PaintedTurtle » 26 Jun 2012, 02:03

It looks to me like the Install Instructions for Apple G4/G5 Computers in the Rev 1.0 June 29, 2009 Manual are wrong.

In spite of what the PDF document might say, there seem to be no install_ppc32, install_ppc32_text, install_ppc64 or install_ppc64_text commands.

At least for the G4 that I tried it on, Install worked fine. I assume that it also will on a G5, but have not yet tested that.

Other warnings for newbies like me include:

If you select all of the options, the install seems to fail. (Or at least it did for me.)

The disk partitioning tool is confusing.

And once installed, I once got trapped in a screen that said Enlightenment on the top, but nothing other than control-apple-delete with get me out. And once I logged back in, I was trapped in it again. I ended up doing a reinstall.
PaintedTurtle
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation