Wireless problem in YDL 6.2 on PB G4 17"

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Wireless problem in YDL 6.2 on PB G4 17"

Postby Farinet » 14 Oct 2010, 12:45

Ok. I installed YDL 6.2 without any problem on a PB G4 17" (aluminium). Pretty easy even for me as a not really experienced linux user (rather a "customer" - used to ubuntu since several years)

But:

wireless isn't working at all! The built-in (broadcom chip based airport xtreme was failing already under Mac OS, although by iwconfig or ifconfig it is recognized) wifi card does not work at all. And i was absolutely unable to install the drivers for a ralink rt2870 based usb-wlan-stick (D-Link DWA 140). I checked the suggestions of various fedora and ubuntu boards (e.g. http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=197413 or: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=960642) but the problem is always that i don't have a connection on the Mac, so the updater/installer (yum i presume) does not find the mirror server for the packages. Installing them "by hand" with another computer does not work as well (i guess it does not find anymore the relaying structures between the different package files).

Btw, i checked with a Ubuntu PPC Live DVD which has as default the broadcom driver built in - but that did'nt work since, the wifi part of that card is broken, apparently. But the driver came up! (I realized that the Ubuntu version for the ppc for gnome is somewhat smarter, graphically but the powermanagement by far does not work as smooth than that of YDL.

Now, is there out there someone who could help me out or point me to some, eventually useful links? My own idea would be - but without some hints i'd be unable to do that! ;-) - to restrict the repositories (as it is called in Ubuntu) to cd/DVD and create a DVD with a useful structure to YUM . . . (?)

Thanks in advance!
Farinet
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation