YDL 6.2 Boot problem due to libdevmapper.so.1.02

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

YDL 6.2 Boot problem due to libdevmapper.so.1.02

Postby micky_744 » 06 Nov 2010, 22:25

Hello every body

I have found 2 different posts on internet talking about the problem of libdevmapper.so.1.02.
I do have a problem in the boot since I have made different partition for /temp, /usr and /var (more than /)
My problem resides on the libdevmapper.so.1.02 not being in the right place ( http://lists.fixstars.com/pipermail/yel ... 21927.html). So the question is how do I fix the problem since it seems there is not rescue mode on YDL 6.2? Another way I saw on internet was to force the rpm (When in the recovery shell, transfer the device-mapper rpm to the broken machine, rpm -Uvh it (you may need --force if rpm thinks it's already installed), and reboot. Unless the kernel's initrd also needed it, that ought to fix things.) Anyone can let me know how to fix the problem. If I do the custom installation actually there are not problems, but I would really like to have different partitions for my filesystems.
Any idea?

Thank you in advance
micky_744
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: YDL 6.2 Boot problem due to libdevmapper.so.1.02

Postby aguilarojo » 07 Nov 2010, 16:49

micky_744 wrote:Hello every body

I have found 2 different posts on internet talking about the problem of libdevmapper.so.1.02.
I do have a problem in the boot since I have made different partition for /temp, /usr and /var (more than /)
My problem resides on the libdevmapper.so.1.02 not being in the right place ( http://lists.fixstars.com/pipermail/yel ... 21927.html). So the question is how do I fix the problem since it seems there is not rescue mode on YDL 6.2? Another way I saw on internet was to force the rpm (When in the recovery shell, transfer the device-mapper rpm to the broken machine, rpm -Uvh it (you may need --force if rpm thinks it's already installed), and reboot. Unless the kernel's initrd also needed it, that ought to fix things.) Anyone can let me know how to fix the problem. If I do the custom installation actually there are not problems, but I would really like to have different partitions for my filesystems.
Any idea?

Thank you in advance

Hi Micky_744!

I referred to the link you provided but it was a little confusing because the document actually refers to YDL 5.0.2, not YDL 6.2. To save a little time, I'm going to proceed with addressing what I believe could be helpful. I'm going to rely on you to clarify your query and pursue other questions which could lead to a better resolution.

Special Note: This is the most confusing point for many people because the required preparation step before the YDL installation process was to begin was -- if you wanted OS X and YDL installed onto the same internal drive -- that Apple's Disk Utility is booted from within the OS X installation disk so that it first formats the internal drive both for hfs and Free Space. The instructions for doing this are described briefly in the YDL installation manuals whose links are referenced below. Apple's Disk Utility does something called "destructive partitioning" which essentially means HD sectors are completely reconstructed anew. There also exists a partitioning modification scheme known as "non-destructive partitioning" which means that old and new partitions can be modified differently.

If your intent is to have only YDL exist on your internal drive, then your procedure is slightly simplified, but you still need to utilize Apple's Disk Utility to format your internal HD as Free Space. I am recommending using Apple's Disk Utilitity because across the years Anaconda "understands" or "recognizes" this tool and builds upon what is created by Disk Utility a solid YDL installation. I've never had trouble with across any version of YDL I utilized across the years, when I used the method I'm recommending.

Special Note 2: If you decide upon a tri-partitioned internal HD as utilized by Kai Staats be sure to define and create the partitions by using Disk Utility. Doing so allows you to have all three partitions created at the same time. Combining the information provided by the links although useful need to be understood within the context of that you need to become very familiar with utilizing the Disk Utility application itself in creating these partitions; in other words, the better you understand how Disk Utility functions and how you may best use it in creating partitions, the more secure and stable your efforts will become. Remember in order to execute any partitioning structure it is best to utilize Apple's Disk Utility by booting it from the official OS X DVD install drive created by Apple (formerly known as Apple Computer). By all means avoid attempting to run Disk Utility from within OS X residing from within any partition of the same internal HD you are attempting to partition!

Let's refer to the details of how Anaconda (the name of the YDL installation program) behaves across all versions of YDL. You can acquire from Fixstars the details for doing a YDL 6.2 installation or YDL 5.0.2 or older installation. Regardless which one you use as the installation process proceeds Anaconda will eventuall offer you the option to allow:

• Automated partition - meaning that Anaconda will partition the HD for YDL building the ext3 filesystem upon the partitions it understands as "ready" or "acceptable" to build upon. In other words, Anaconda will follow the program instructions/procedure embedded in it to execute a new partition structure for YDL and build/install YDL there. Before you trust the automated procedure, I advise that you make sure that you understand exactly what it is doing and which partition it is going to work on. Perhaps my recommendation is a bit over the top, but I never forgot how one of my Computer Science professors described computers as dumb idiots following instructions without comprehension or thought precisely, and extremely quickly. In other words, there may be a situation in which you discover as Owen did (described later here below) that there is an error in the instructions Anaconda is executing - in that scenario, if you don't have understanding how to correct the problem you are stuck with a dead system with no possibility of moving forward.

• User-defined partition - meaning that you can directly determine and define the partition structure for the internal drive and Anaconda will utilize the directory structure you defined. This resolves the problem of defining a new directory structure to correct the problem you reported. Caveat: You really must be clear regarding what partition/tree structure you are defining and implementing using this feature!

• The third option, should you select it, allows Anaconda to use whatever available HD space it discovers which exist already on the internal HD.

Together with considering the above you should refer to a notice from Owen Stampflee who was the Lead Engineer for Terra Soft Solutions and remains, as best as I am aware, with Fixstars. However, Fixstars is no longer providing any further support for PowerPC based YDL (beyond the free mailing list and YDL Board) unless there is a contract with Fixstars to do so. So the link I'm providing may be your only informed recommendation regarding how to proceed to correct the problem you are experiencing. The solution provided may not exactly fit what problem you are complaining about, but just maybe it could be a useful reference towards a solution which could work. Here's Owen own comments: http://www.mail-archive.com/yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/msg03885.html

Now regarding Rescue Mode within YDL 6.2, there does exist such an option. Here is commentary from the venerable Kai Staats, former CEO of Terra Soft Solutions: http://www.mail-archive.com/yellowdog-general@lists.fixstars.com/msg00504.html

The link to Kai ends with a button allowing a user to contact him. In the interest of saving time I've chosen to include a email he posted regarding his explanation for creating a tri-partitioned internal drive allowing for OS X, YDL and something he defined as Data. Note that the way Kai wrote the note strongly suggests that each partition has it's own boot sector. Here is that posting copied verbatim from my personal archives:

To: Discussion List for Yellow Dog Linux User Topics <yellowdog-general@lists.fixstars.com>
    Subject: Re: [ydl-gen] usb drives
    Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 03:23:07 -0700
    Reply-To: Discussion List for Yellow Dog Linux User Topics
    <yellowdog-general@lists.fixstars.com>
    Sender: yellowdog-general-bounces@lists.fixstars.com
    User-Agent: KMail/1.9.4
    Organization: Over the Sun, LLC

Robert,

> Anybody know how to format a usb drive for use by YDL 6.2? Also,
    > can this formatting be done on a Mac or a PC?

My experience is as follows:

a) I have never found a USB drive, factory or consumer
    formatting that YDL cannot read by simply inserting
    and then double-clicking on the "Computer" icon on the
    Desktop.

b) Fat32 is the most common by factories, and the most
    portable between multiple OSes.

c) However, if you are using the USB drive for any sort
    of OS level backup or expansion, you may want to format
    your USB drive as a native ext3.

d) If you are sharing the USB drive with OSX, you may
    want to format it with OSX's native Extended format in
    order that both YDL and OSX may share the files easily
    and retain all UNIX based file information (see bottom
    for more about OSX/ext3 file sharing).

e) If you are using rsync to backup from your YDL box
    to a USB drive (as I do when I travel, keeping the USB bu
    in a sep coat pocket or wallet), fat32 will choke as the
    rsync command attempts to set permissions for each file
    transferred and fat32 does not support this -- yes, the
    files will transfer but an error will spew with each and
    every file (annoying!).

On a side note, as I have my internal drive split into 3 major
    partitions (YDL /, OSX /, and Data), I have "Data" formatted by OSX
    even though it is used primarily by YDL (I only reboot into OSX to
    watch .mov files).

In order that OSX and YDL may share these files seamlessly, I
    edited /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to match my YDL user ID to that of
    Mac OSX (500 in YDL, 501 in OSX) and then chown kstaats:kstaats
    to all files in my /home/kstaats dir and wha-lah! I then
    edited /etc/fstab to auto-mount the Data partition. OSX and YDL share
    files without a glitch on the Data partition (thanks to Chris Murtagh
    for the original instructions on this process).

A bit more than you asked for, but hopefully this helps.

kai

All the best...

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to Installation