YDL6.2 Install on G4 466Mhz PowerMac

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

YDL6.2 Install on G4 466Mhz PowerMac

Postby IanJenkinson » 01 Dec 2011, 17:26

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am stuck on trying to install YDL6.2 on my PowerMac G4 (the blue deskside type). I have followed the formating instructions by partitioning my disk into two volumes, one (the lower) for YDL, the second for OSX. I have successfully installed OSX and that is now all patched up to 10.4.11. My problem arises when I attempt to boot the YDL DVD. When I press the <alt> key to select what to boot I see two icons, one the harddrive with the blue X in the bottom corner and the second the DVD with the Linux penguin. When I select the DVD and press <return> the screen goes grey and that's as far as I get! I have confirmed the iso is sha1sum correct as per the download sites and have tried to burn three different dvds, one with Windows Nero, one with Easy Burner on Windows and one with Disk Utility on OSX. They all suffer at the same sticking point. I can confirm that the DVD is mountable in OSX and viewable and I can view files on it with Finder. Does anyone have any insight as to what I've done wrong? Thanks In advance!
IanJenkinson
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: YDL6.2 Install on G4 466Mhz PowerMac

Postby billb » 01 Dec 2011, 23:03

I've had the best luck burning YDL install DVDs with imgburn (http://www.imgburn.com). It's free. Be sure to have it verify the disc after the burn as well. Be careful of the advertisements on the imgburn site though -- sometimes it's hard to tell which download link you're supposed to click on.

You can also install imgburn through the ninite site (http://www.ninite.com) -- just check the box next to imgburn and click on 'Download Installer'.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IanJenkinson » 02 Dec 2011, 09:44

Billb, ok, I've downloaded, installed and burnt the same iso to a new blank dvd with imgburn. This dvd suffers the same failure as the other dvds, I select to boot from the dvd with the penguin and the screen turns grey and that's it, nothing further. I would like to point out that the dvd drive I am using is not the original drive of the G4 as that is only a CD drive. I have disconnected the internal cd drive and connected the ide/ata dvd drive to the primary ide cable on which is also the hard drive. When OSX boots, both primary master and slave seem to work ok as a) it boots and b) I can see the dvd on the desktop on OSX and c) I can view the files in finder. Is this a bios/device driver issue of some sort? Thanks
IanJenkinson
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 03 Dec 2011, 18:13

The drive setup you have sounds like it should be fine ... sorry but don't know what else to suggest at this point. I'll play with my Mac some this weekend and will let you know if I come up with any suggestions. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of Mac users posting here anymore and most of my experience is on the PS3.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation