G4 power book, smashed screen-Blind install

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

G4 power book, smashed screen-Blind install

Postby jhartley » 14 Dec 2011, 02:03

Hello,
This may sound wierd but I am new to the linux world. The only linux distro I have successfully installed on this 17" G4 powerbook 1.3ghz is Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid but am having real problems with it... I have been pointed in YDL's direction as the most efficient OS to install on this mac but am having real problems installing... my problem is:

ISO is burned correctly, holding down 'c' at launch lets me boot from disk but I cannot get passed a white screen on my monitor that has a list of text about building device tree, the structures and id's and finally 'returning from prom_init..."

This happened with all of the different distros apart from ubuntu which made it past the screen.

Now, my question is, is this something to do with the external display not yet mirroring what should be on the laptop screen and that I actually am at the boot page (on the laptop screen) but the refresh on the external has not yet caught up (and won't until after certain packages being installed?

If this is the case, can I 'blind install' if someone were to give me direct instructions on what to type (arrow keys included)?

The actual mac screen shows activity when I move around on the trackpad (not that you can see anything resembling the screen or the mouse its THAT damaged) rather, faint lines moving similar in respect to touch. Because of this I believe it's down to the monitor. any clues?

Better still, if I'm correct, anyone fancy recording direct instructions for me to 'blind' install?

Much appreciated.
jhartley
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: G4 power book, smashed screen-Blind install

Postby jhartley » 14 Dec 2011, 14:26

Any ideas? Many thanks.
jhartley
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby jhartley » 14 Dec 2011, 14:57

"done
copying OF device tree...
Building dt string...
Building dt structure...
Device tree strings (list of number>list of numbers)
Device tree structure (list of numbers>list of numbers)
Calling quiesce...
returning from prom_init
_"

This is all I get on every linux disto so far when using an external display.
However, On the tiny fragments of (partially) working screen left I can see the blue screen pop up and then go away and return as a black screen.

As said before, there is faint mouse movement so the two screens are not mirrored.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP? This is sending me mad and will probably force me back to osx, which I dont want to do....

PLEASE!
jhartley
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 15 Dec 2011, 03:24

jhartley wrote:PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP? This is sending me mad and will probably force me back to osx, which I dont want to do....

PLEASE!

Hiya!

Just to let you know - this is a volunteer board and none of us are Fixstars/Yellow Dog employees. Also, many of us here - myself included - are PlayStation 3 owners, not Mac owners.

We - as a community - try to answer questions as quickly as possible - but for Mac specific questions, you'll have to wait until one of the few Mac owners log in. I think the installation is different between the PS3 and Mac - especially during the boot sequence - so I don't think I can be of too much help.

You might try reading the installation instructions here:
http://ydl.net/support/installation/
and see if that helps any.

So - in summary - we're not ignoring you - most of us just can't answer your question, unfortunately. :)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jhartley » 15 Dec 2011, 11:40

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your consideration, I understand that you are all volunteers and really appreciate the time that you all spend on helping each other!

I guess I was at cracking point and just getting frustrated so I apologise for that!

Anyway, at least I have Ubuntu running (although rather buggy) so I've got a system at the moment and will sit tight and hopefully receive help in due time.

Thanks again,
and hopefully speak to you soon as a YDL user!

Jon
jhartley
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to Installation