Installation commands problem.

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Installation commands problem.

Postby feastofmoments » 19 Jan 2012, 16:58

hello.
I have an Emac G4(1Ghz, 1024mb) and I'm trying to use linux on it.
Because I really want to see the videos on youtube, but OSX(10.4) can't play it. It's slow. I don't know how fast YDL is though.

Anyway, I've downloaded .ISO image from YDL.net that named yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso, burned it, and booted up my eMac with it.
but, It seems to be an image for PS3. once i've press Tab for help, there are no install commands such as install_ppc32, but install_ps3_1080i and else.
the command install_ppc32 doesn't worked and I re-checked my download, but it was correct. it should be an image for Apple G4.
So I've tried with yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20081119, and it happened again.
and now, I'm downloading yellowdog-6.0-DVD_20080207.iso, but i'm afraid that I will not work too.

Did the install DVDs recognize my eMac as a PS3? or Have I downloaded improper images?
Where can I find proper install DVDs?

and excuse my poor english. thank you.
feastofmoments
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Installation commands problem.

Postby ppietro » 19 Jan 2012, 20:21

feastofmoments wrote:I really want to see the videos on youtube, but OSX(10.4) can't play it. It's slow.

I hate to say this, but for watching YouTube videos, you're better off using Mac OS.

See my post here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7218

NOTE: This is for PS3 - but it's applicable to your Mac as well.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby feastofmoments » 20 Jan 2012, 13:38

Thank you for reply.
I've given up YDL. I can't figure you how to install it on my eMac.
I had tried 6.0, but commands such as install, install_ppc32 didn't work with some screen errors.
Ubuntu 11.04 works fine and youtube videos are faster than osx 10.4, but still slow.
feastofmoments
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 21 Jan 2012, 02:36

feastofmoments wrote:youtube videos are faster than osx 10.4, but still slow.

That does surprise me. By all rights, the native Mac OS X PPC client from Adobe should be faster than the reverse engineered open source Gnash client. But - if it works for you - it's all good! :D

Also - one other thing to know about YDL vs. Ubuntu is that YDL is what we call an "Enterprise" Linux. That means it is purposefully held back a couple of versions from the latest versions of Linux. Up to 3 years at some points!

This may seem weird - but this is done for companies that need a proven Linux as opposed to a modern Linux. What this means is that if the hardware isn't specifically supported, it's trickier to get YDL to run - there aren't as many updates as a Linux like Ubuntu.

You can read more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_En ... tributions

YDL is based on Red Hat Enterprise 5.2 via the CentOS re-distribution.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation