Cab not install YDL-6. on G4 dvd hangs on icon

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

Cab not install YDL-6. on G4 dvd hangs on icon

Postby Omnios » 01 Mar 2012, 17:25

Hi I tried getting Ubutnu 10.10 for two days to no avaial and decided to install Yellow Dog Linux figuring its got better repos and support. I am insalling on a ppc G4 mirror door dual 1.25ghz with 1gig ram. It has the original cd drive and a non nativly supported dvd rw. Problem is the It hangs on the icon on booting the dvd drive and the cd drive will not read the dvd witch is a 4 gig dvd -rw. Tried option, c, resetting the pram to no avail. I am thinking of making a bootable usb to do it but need instructions, ubuntu has a wiki entry but read ubuntu install methods do not work and they are dated from years ago. Help would be apreciated.

I am basicly making a media center to play movies in 1080p and listen to music and can not find a mac dvd player that can size the screen properly.
Omnios
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Cab not install YDL-6. on G4 dvd hangs on icon

Postby dolek » 01 May 2012, 11:02

I have a G4 2002 model, with yellowdog 6.2 , I had to buy an internal DVD writer to replace the CD drive to get Yellowdog DVD to install. Bought from owc.com for about $30. However, yellowdog does not play DVD movies of any format. And, does not have flash player. I don't think your media center will work. Better look for an old Mac OSX 10 install cd/dvd on eBay. I think your wasting your time. I use mine for web browsing, email and storing photos.
dolek
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Cab not install YDL-6. on G4 dvd hangs on icon

Postby billb » 01 May 2012, 16:01

Right -- YDL, like many other distros, doesn't come with libdvdcss, required for playback of encrypted DVDs. You have to add third party software repos (or build it yourself) for that.

I have to agree that it's certainly not the best choice for a media center.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation