YDL on PS3 as Computer

If you have problems installing YDL, or need some information before you start.

YDL on PS3 as Computer

Postby icecube17 » 18 Jun 2012, 17:00

Hey guys,
i am new to this forum, to YDL and to Linux :D
I got a question before i install everything for nothing.
Is it able to play Computer Games on YDL when u put it on your PS3? I mean when i play for example Dead Island 2 on my Laptop it isnt good graphic and lagging much.
So my question is if i can use my Ps3 as a better Computer?
Woudl be nice if you can tell this to me.

All the best Felix!
icecube17
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: YDL on PS3 as Computer

Postby ppietro » 19 Jun 2012, 05:18

icecube17 wrote:Hey guys,
i am new to this forum, to YDL and to Linux :D
I got a question before i install everything for nothing.
Is it able to play Computer Games on YDL when u put it on your PS3? I mean when i play for example Dead Island 2 on my Laptop it isnt good graphic and lagging much.
So my question is if i can use my Ps3 as a better Computer?
Woudl be nice if you can tell this to me.

All the best Felix!

Sadly, PS3 Linux probably isn't going to work for you. :(

The GPU - the nVidia RSX - is locked out to Linux and OtherOS. It is only available to the GameOS, for use by native PS3 games. The only graphics we have available in LInux is an unaccelerated framebuffer display, which is run by the central CPU core. This ends up slowing down the system, since the CPU has to share resources between programs and the display.

In other words - no 2D or 3D acceleration is available to Linux. :(

Also - the central CPU core is an "in-order processor". Basically, this means that it can only do one thing at a time. PS3 games get around this by using the 6 SPEs, which are like super-math processors. These are available to Linux, but unless a program is specifically written to use them, they sit idle.

Finally, the PS3 does not use an Intel processor - it uses a PowerPC processor. So - PC games you have can't run on the processor, except through emulation.

All three of these things - framebuffer display, in-order execution, PowerPC processor - means that only very simple emulators can be run. Many folks in these forums use YDL to run 8-bit Nintendo emultors, for example. But - modern PC gaming is just not possible in PS3 Linux.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Installation